Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

Alexandro

(welcome back GT)

I agree with what you say as far as the "Tarantino style" goes. Yes, he does that, yes, this is what makes him "Tarantino". But my complaint is not agains his style. I'm also avoiding discussion on how "serious" the conversation can get dealing with slavery in Django Unchained. I'm speaking purely from pace and structural choices that I found wrong. Look, the second hour is even more talky and "wastes" more time with introductions and all that stuff, but it felt to me much more vital, much more as it should be. They talk and talk, but it all feels like a clock and it works. But in the first hour it didn't feel like that. Setting aside my wishful thinking of Walt'z playing a silent type kind of dude, who only has verbal diarrea when playing another character for survival purposes, I noticed scenes that could have been one sequence turned into two. They get to the first town (nigger town), without Waltz explaining him he is a bounty hunter because is more "cool" or whatever, that he does this at the bar, while serving beers. It's a moment played for laughs, but it's not that funny...They have two sequences by the fire where they talk about Broomhilda, one where Waltz know of her existence, and another one later, inexplicably, where he tells the Broomhilda legend. Now I'm reading the scrip and apparently this two sequences were just separated by a time cut there, so that makes sense...

By the end, when the scene with Sam Jackson and Jamie Foxx hanging with his balls in the air takes place, I was thinking: "Damn, this is a great scene with a great monologue in it, but right now it feels like this should have ended by now, why isn't this scene somewhere before?" It's just a weirdly structured film that presents a problem Tarantino has sometimes with extending stuff way too much. In this case, this film could have been a 105 minutes masterpiece, but to me it's more of a 2 hours 40 minutes good movie...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on February 04, 2013, 08:36:16 PM
(welcome back GT)

Thanks! And thanks to kind words from all others. It's funny, I replied to a question from Squints on facebook and someone else made an XIXAX mention in the post and I thought, "Oh yea, I used to post there. Might as well wander back." Even my computer's history lost all track of me at this site. Definitely returning to something I had no plans to return to, but it's nice.

Just no idea what's up with this respect thing.

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Frederico Fellini

Prepare yourself for all the ass-kissing.

Tictacbk

For the love of god, is it so much to ask for a brief description to go along with a youtube link?  An idea of what to include in said descriptions:

1. What the video is.
2. Why I should care about watching it.

For those of you wondering about the above videos, Howard Stern liked Django, Robin had her reservations.  Also the people in the film thought it was a good script.

Ok, I'm done.  Sorry.  And Django was fine.

Neil

man, i haven't been that bent out of shape about a youtube video since...ever.

I guess, "Howard Stern Reviews Django Unchained," as a description wasn't blatant enough for you.

Ok, i'm done, sorry. Django was fine.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

I guess, "Howard Stern Reviews Django Unchained," as a description wasn't blatant enough for you.

Hahaha.  +1 man.     

"Haters gonna hate, Tomatoes gonna tomate, Potatoes gonna potate... and dogs are gonna bark."

Pubrick

You constantly post videos without description. I don't think oldmate's request was that ridiculous. if you've already seen the video you're posting why not offer a brief summary or your own observations at least for the sake of discussion?

it would be like wilderesque posting a million interviews without so much as an introduction and expecting people to just trudge through them. I wouldn't have read that epic So-done-bergh interview if the introduction hadn't  piqued  my interest with the highlights.

the only videos that should be posted without any context or summary are viral videos that go for less than a minute. errbody's got time for dat.
under the paving stones.

Lottery

Good movie. Final 30 minutes of the film loses almost all of the momentum previously built up. But is necessary for Django's arc. Oh well.

Christoph Waltz is so lovely.

pete

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Ok, i'm done, sorry. Django was fine.

that description doesn't pop up for everyone.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on February 09, 2013, 05:12:31 AM
Pubes, how much did QT's Aussie accent bother you?

any aussie is welcome to answer, now that we have all of you.

Lottery

Quote from: Reelist on February 10, 2013, 05:15:49 PM
Quote from: Reelist on February 09, 2013, 05:12:31 AM
Pubes, how much did QT's Aussie accent bother you?

any aussie is welcome to answer, now that we have all of you.

It's pretty atrocious. QT is kind of a 'meta-comic relief' in this film.

72teeth

you gotta admit tho, the man knows how to exit.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

John Jarratt was fucking unrecognizable to me, but it has been awhile since I've seen Wolf Creek. Not surprised in the slightest that QT used him though, since his quote about Jarratt giving "The best horror performance of the past 25 years" in WC is what got me to the theater!!

I love when he goes "You're alright for a black fella."

QT's an idiot thinking he could pull off that accent with an authentic Aussie in the same scene. Maybe if he played it retarded or something I'd understand.

Just looked up Jarratt and he's gonna be in Wolf Creek 2

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0418877/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1     

cool.

Pubrick

it was fucking embarrassing.

it made an already cringe worthy cameo in an unnecessary scene utterly unbearable.  everyone in the cinema laughed when QT spoke, they thought it was a huge joke. the more i think about how STUPID he is for putting himself in the movie, with that accent, in that scene, the more i think i hate this movie. it really is bad enough to ruin the whole thing. it shows that he has no idea what he's doing, that what simple entertainment the film provided until then was nothing more than a fluke result of alcohol and lowering my expectations MASSIVELY after the turds he's plopped onscreen in the last 10 years.

still not as bad as every scene in the dark knight rises.
under the paving stones.