Brick

Started by modage, January 02, 2006, 11:59:17 PM

picolas

i saw it in theatres and it was good but i didn't post a review for some reason. i half-saw it at work again today.

semi-spoils

- visually, musically, and almost always pacing-wise, it's perfection.
- this is truly a movie's movie. hundreds of other movies/movie parts were squeezed/pulped to make this one. i wonder what a movie's movie's movie will be like. maybe this is already a movie's movie's movie and i need to brush up.
- i loved the transformation back to his old wardrobe/self.
- this guy knows how to use the sun.
- unfortunately, some gaping things stop the movie from being amazing. like it's hard to understand what people are saying.
- i'm not a good story-follower. so i was lost for the last quarter or so. and i only half-understood the ending. but i was still enjoying it for its pacing/ideas.
- sometimes i didn't like the dialogue. i can't remember an example though.
- i think Levitt was better in the trailer but he was still good here. i didn't like most of the performances, now that i think of it, but they weren't annoying. except for sometimes Stoner, Brain, Dode. i guess Haas was the best overall.

fun fact: i sent Rian Johnson the trailer for Jo (which uses the EWS theme) through his forum and he said he used the theme extensively in the rough cut.

The Perineum Falcon

are you drunk again?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

Quote from: flagpolespecial on August 10, 2006, 07:28:37 AM
are you all on crack? this movie was not good at all. it's this years 'crash'.
are you on crack?  how is this anything like 'crash'? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

It'd say Brick is this year's 'Miller's Crossing'. This year's 'Memento'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

all of you, go reconsider.

done... I've reconsidered and I'm still sure you can't explain why you didn't like it and therefore have no valid argument as to why it's not a really good film.

Pozer

it's this years 'crash'. this years 'donnie darko'. this years 'napolean dynamite'.
most people i know have never even heard of it. 

pete

i hate you flagpolespecial.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

What an elitist thing to say, especially for a movie no one's fucking heard of.

NEON MERCURY

What an elitist thing to say... :love:

*with a werner herzog impersonation:

i , too, would like to step on this film's defence. why can't all teen movies be this smart and cool? i'm sure everyone i'll recommend it to will like it.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

On Main Menu, click on Bonus Features. With Deleted Scenes highlighted, press arrow left twice. The A Midnight should turn blue. Click on it to watch the easter egg.

EDIT:
Quote from: MacGuffin on August 10, 2006, 04:11:26 PM
It'd say Brick is this year's 'Miller's Crossing'.

MC is mentioned within the first minute of the commentary.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

Quote from: cronopio on August 11, 2006, 08:09:20 AM
*with a werner herzog impersonation:

i , too, would like to step on this film's defence. why can't all teen movies be this smart and cool? i'm sure everyone i'll recommend it to will like it.

oh shut up.  you liked Miami Vice.

pete

I now hate you too.  you fucking douche.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

you're a sweetheart.

elpablo

I'm slow.

I love that this wasn't just noir for the sake of being noir, but used the heightened drama and near impossible to follow connections to parallel the drama and gossip of high school. As far removed as the story and dialogue are from high school, the characters still feel like they belong right where they are.