Brave

Started by modage, November 07, 2010, 04:53:35 PM

modage

Brave (previously titled The Bear and the Bow) is an upcoming 2012 computer-animated 3-D film being produced by Pixar Animation Studios. It is written by Brenda Chapman and directed by Mark Andrews and features the voices of Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson and Julie Walters. It will be distributed by Walt Disney Pictures, and is scheduled for release June 15, 2012.

Synopsis: In rugged and mythic Scotland, the impetuous, tangle-haired Mérida (Reese Witherspoon), though a daughter of royalty, would rather make her mark as an archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Mérida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father's kingdom and her mother's life. Mérida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic and a dark ancient curse.

Voice Cast:
Reese Witherspoon as Princess Mérida
Julie Walters as Witch
Billy Connolly as King Fergus
Emma Thompson as Queen Elinor
John Ratzenberger as Rally the alligator

Production:
The film, Pixar's first fairy tale, is a combination of Brenda Chapman's love of Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm, as well as a reflection on raising her daughter. The film was to be directed by Brenda Chapman, which would have made Brave the first Pixar production to be helmed by a female director, but she was replaced by Mark Andrews. According to Variety magazine, Princess Mérida is expected to join the Disney Princess franchise. The film was previously titled The Bear and the Bow and it was originally scheduled for a release in Christmas 2011 but it was pushed back to June 15, 2012 and the film's title was changed to Brave.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

very happy with the title change.

i bet no one was saying Bow the right way. i had no idea which way until i saw the archery bit in the synopsis.

it's a good sign too that they changed director. every decision pixar makes is for the benefit of the film. changing the title and director for this film is the same thing that happened to Ratatouille - that was another troublesome title that unfortunately contained a crucial pun which was important to the story, so they did the best they could by making the posters phonetic. in this case i guess this chick was too attached to her story to make the tough decisions in the director's chair, like maybe when she had to remove her (NSFW) homage to Pasolini in one particularly graphic archery scene.
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

Maybe it's the princess thing, but I just don't feel optimistic about this film at all. But I agree, P, everything Pixar does seems to better serve the overall film/story (Cars franchise excluded). Sorry to keep banging on the Pixar panels at AFF (DAMN good stuff) but there was one panel where they mention a recent film which went though some sever changes that upset a lot of people. Could be this, but more likely Newt which looks like it is not longer in development (too Dreamworksy?)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

http://www.ugo.com/movies/first-image-of-heroine-from-new-pixar-movie-brave

First Image of Heroine from New Pixar Movie, Brave
Pixar has released the first official image of Merida, the redheaded warrior heroine of their upcoming movie, Brave.
By Aubrey Sitterson

First person to make a "Does the carpet match the drapes?" joke loses at life. Credit: Pixar

In case the idea of a second Cars movie isn't really doing it for you, Pixar already has their next original flick in development. Called Brave, it is scheduled for a June 22, 2012 release, and tells the story of an archer named Merida from the Scottish Highlands, who must confront "tradition, destiny and the fiercest of beasts to discover the true meaning of courage," and also probably turn traditional gender roles on their head in the most adorable, heart-warming way imaginable.

Though concept art from the film has been making the rounds on the internet for about two months now, we've yet to get a look at what the actual animation will look like. Now, courtesy of posts from Disney Pixar France and The Art of Disney Animation Fan Facebook Page (both since removed), we can finally get a look at how Merida will be rendered, and the creepiest Disney fans can get to work on what will no doubt be some profoundly icky fan-art.

The upcoming film will feature Kelly Macdonald as Merida, as well as the voices of Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Craig Ferguson, Robbie Coltrane and more, and you can check out the first full trailer in front of Cars 2, when it is released on July 22, 2011. The flick is set to be directed by Brenda Chapman (Prince of Egypt) and Pixar house-talent Mark Andrews, who has worked on several of the studio's hits, including The Incredibles, Cars and Ratatouille.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

I know its the style of the time with teasers these days to have the main characters face hidden, but they really need to be careful.. her right arm looks like it could be coming out of her ear instead of her hand going up to her face.

Other than that, fine poster, I'm really excited about this movie.. it could be the last great Pixar film.
under the paving stones.

cronopio 2

Champion Souza

She's got crazy eyes because she's shooting to kill. 

Quote from: Pubrick on June 22, 2011, 08:05:10 PM
it could be the last great Pixar film.

Sadly true.

Sleepless

What? Why? I know they're in a bit of an unnecessary sequel rut right now, but I don't see any reason to start spouting gloom and doom.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Oh, Pixar.  I knew I couldn't stay mad at you.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

it looks superb, that red hair must have been a nightmare to animate.

Pozer

I know its the style of the time with teasers these days to have the main characters face hidden, but they really need to be careful.. her right arm looks like it could be coming out of her ear instead of her hand going up to her face.

i see the right arm opposite of that, shoulder up, hand to ... tit? still looks a lil weird.  

teaser trailer is such a beaut.

Quote from: Champion Souza on June 24, 2011, 10:18:33 PM
it could be the last great Pixar film.

Sadly true.

is Carsies the only real motive to cast such doubt? necessary Incredibles sequel will reassure yous.

Fernando

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks