Under The Skin

Started by MacGuffin, September 02, 2013, 06:48:38 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: TBD

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Paul Brannigan, Joe Szula, Krystof Hádek

Directed by: Jonathan Glazer

Premise: An alien in human form is on a journey through Scotland.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

teaser of the year! Teaser of the year!

fuck i gotta stop saying that about everything.

this feels strong, like glazer has finally stopped aping kubrick and gone somewhere new. scarjo looks as lifeless as always but it seems to be all about form anyway. she's all about the form.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

^^ agree.

reading the premise a few weeks ago thought it sounded kinda dumb, but that teaser looks quite good, it feels Lynchian too.

pete

is this Holy Motors starring ScarJo?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

Ugh, I can't wait to see this. I saw a 4 minute promo reel that expanded a little bit on the trailer but not by much and it looks stunning. That being said, I think if you watch this and read any random review you'll probably have a good barometer as to what to expect...

Anticipating this being my favorite film of the year.

Kellen

Reviews (haven't read em', so i have no idea about spoilers):

Telluride '13: Under the Skin (Walter Chaw)

TimeOut London (Dave Calhoun)

The Telegraph (Robbie Collin)

The Guardian (Xan Brooks)

Even Scarlett Johansson can't save Jonathan Glazer's laughably bad alien hitchiker movie (The Independent, Kaleem Aftab)

Telluride Film Review: 'Under the Skin' (Variety, Scott Foundas)

BB

I can't wait until more people have seen this. You guys are gonna shit. This thread could get very interesting..

Pubrick

I heard she goes full frontal.

If so we will be doing more than shitting.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

max from fearless

This movie is strange and incredible. Scarlett is great. There is so much to say about this movie, it needs to come out soon, so this thread can explode. The last two sequences blew my fucking mind. There is a moment when it gets slightly repetitive, but the emotional payoff that follows and the result at the end of that particular sequence is so good....Glazer has made a really strong movie about loneliness, desire, curiosity, longing and desperate men in search of a fuck. Let alone a movie about the alien gaze, what makes us human and empathy. I would love to talk about some of the specific visuals because, jesus, there are some shots/moments in this that I just can't shake. All those interviews where Carruth talks about sound, image, editing and music and a movie as an album. Well, this is that and this album is dark with some hilarious moments and some black humour and a lot of scary shit.

jenkins

i liked what you did with pialat/kechiche, but tbh i'm scared by what you did with carruth/glazer (scared i won't like this)

max from fearless

The tempos are not similar if that's what your afraid of. Under The Skin takes it's time. It's just that both are visceral films which try to cater to all your senses and don't spell things out. The use of sound in this for instance is incredible. There is a scene involving food where I just tensed the fuck up, wondering what the hell was gonna happen next. This is movie is about feeling and how you experience the world and hardly anything is verbalised. There is an interrogation scene for instance, or at least what I gathered was an interrogation, done non verbally, and it was so powerful for having no dialogue. Nothing is explained here. It's just laid out and you have to make it out yourself. It's not a perfect film and like I said there was a passage where I was like "ok..." but it is incredible filmmaking and very brave and very strange. If I said it's Movern Callar with aliens would that make it worse?

jenkins

lol on the end there. while reading i was prepping "[antonioni, e.g.]," but you sealed my deal with your closing codewords. a+

BB

Quote from: max from fearless on October 18, 2013, 06:50:09 PM
Movern Callar with aliens

Good call. It's also Kuroneko with aliens instead of ghosts. Or Species/Bad Taste reimagined as a hypnotic video installation. Shades of Red Desert too.

jenkins

well now i'm super pumped. where are you two seeing this? i'm guessing a festival, i can't find a release date. how is there no release date yet?? i don't like that.

all imdb says is:

Distributors
A24 (2014) (USA) (theatrical)

a24:
Distributor - filmography
The Silver Donkey (2014) ... Distributor (2014) (USA) (all media)
Enemy (2013) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical), Distributor (2013) (USA) (all media)
Locke (2013) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical), Distributor (2014) (USA) (theatrical), Distributor (2013) (USA) (all media)
Under the Skin (2013/I) ... Distributor (2014) (USA) (theatrical)
The Bling Ring (2013) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical)
The Spectacular Now (2013) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical)
The Rover (2013) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical)
A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III (2012) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical)
Spring Breakers (2012) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical)
Ginger & Rosa (2012) ... Distributor (2013) (USA) (theatrical)

i smell limited :/ well, there's los angeles

also, while looking for the release date i discovered multiple topofgoogle articles about the movie which include a photo of johansson in her underwear, which i haven't seen because i haven't watched the trailer. i'm glad i've heard other things about the movie