The Bourne Supremacy

Started by MacGuffin, April 13, 2004, 10:20:00 PM

MacGuffin

Universal has announced The Bourne Supremacy which stars the likes of Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Brian Cox, Joan Allen and Julia Stiles. This Paul Greengrass directed sequel, will be available to own in seperate widescreen and full screen releases from the 7th December this year. Retail for both of these will be set at around $29.98. Each will include an English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 track along with an audio commentary with director Paul Greengrass, deleted scenes, a Matching Identities: Casting featurette, a Keeping It Real featurette, a Blowing Things Up featurette, an On the Move with Jason Bourne featurette and a Bourne to be Wild: Fight Training featurette. Completing the package will be a Crash Cam: Racing Through the Streets of Moscow feature, a Go-Mobile Revs up the Action feature, an Anatomy of a Scene: The Explosive Bridge Chase Scene feature, a Scoring with John Powell featurette and cast and crew biographies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think its easier for everyone to assume I like to hate everything. Honestly, its not the truth. From my posting it should be that I am just tougher on certain movies and more apt to be bored. Disagree with me or not, I do explain myself. Heavily enough that I feel dumb after most of my posts for contributing a review usually twice as long as anyone else's because the dumb line here is that whatever I say, it'll be taken as, "GT hates this movie. That's all."

no no no. that's not what i meant at all. whenever you hate a movie you always back it up with a decent argument. i like your reviews b/c they help me see movies i like in a new perspective. and if i don't like the movies you don't like, then i'm happy somebody is in agreeance. i was just saying that the bourne supremacy seemed to me to be a funny movie for you to like, just because it is a summer action movie. and b/c i disliked the first one.

Well, The Bourne Supremacy is easy to like. Unlike it Collateral, its just a summer action film. I can easily fall victim to enjoying films that try nothing more to be than entertaing. Collateral, on the other hand, tries to be bold, daring and worst of all, moving. Its a silly attempt at a drama and a lame action film. People think I observe all films on equal footing. Not at all. I look at every film with what it is trying to be and then I go from there.

pete

SPOILERS

maybe this belongs in another thread, but you think Collateral tries harder to be moving than Bournce Supremacy?  The latter movie's got these nightmare sequences, a crying underwater scene, and a "I killed your father" scene.  While Collateral really didn't have any of such scenes.  I don't understand why Collateral is "bold".  It's a well-made thriller, but otherwise very standard.  Even its existentialist quips about man on the subway dying alone turns out to be just a pay off in the plotpoint in the end.  That's not very daring to me.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: peteSPOILERS

maybe this belongs in another thread, but you think Collateral tries harder to be moving than Bournce Supremacy?  The latter movie's got these nightmare sequences, a crying underwater scene, and a "I killed your father" scene.  While Collateral really didn't have any of such scenes.  I don't understand why Collateral is "bold".  It's a well-made thriller, but otherwise very standard.  Even its existentialist quips about man on the subway dying alone turns out to be just a pay off in the plotpoint in the end.  That's not very daring to me.

The Bourne Supremacy has some interest at heart and emotion, sure, but its so little involving that I don't see it go beyond what happens in any other action movie. Remember all the vague little attempts of "heart and emotion" in Demolition Man? And I'll happily say that I don't think that movie took itself serious at all. Collateral is an attempt of a portrait of a sociopath who believes everything he says and finds no understanding of how anyone can disagree with him. The addition of Jamie Foxx in that scenario is to contradict who Cruise's character represents. When people say they like Collateral, they usually say how much depth there is to this thriller when others stream along the usual path. So I don't think I'm making anything up here.

modage

so even though bourne supremacy may actually not be any better than collateral, you think its better because, in your opinion, it wasnt trying to be better (and collateral was).  you say bs's heart is so little involving like that was the point, and that collateral is attempting to be a portrait of a sociopath like that was its point?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02so even though bourne supremacy may actually not be any better than collateral, you think its better because, in your opinion, it wasnt trying to be better (and collateral was).  you say bs's heart is so little involving like that was the point, and that collateral is attempting to be a portrait of a sociopath like that was its point?

Its better because it succeed more at what is was trying to do - and that is be entertaining! As a thriller alone, Collateral is lame and boring. I was involved in the Bourne Supremacy and, problems aside, I really had a great time.

meatball

I love debates.

Film debates are even better.

:turn-l:

bonanzataz

how did you feel about xXx? that was a badass action movie without the intent to be anything more.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bonanzatazhow did you feel about xXx? that was a badass action movie without the intent to be anything more.

I liked it when I first saw it (and yea, I saw on the first showing of the first day) but after that I grew tired of how much it was trying to be cool, in your face and explosive all the time. A little more story would have done wonders.

modage

yeah but by your definition, dont you judge films by what they are trying to be?  xxx had no interest in a little more story, it was all about being cool.  so, didnt it succeed in doing that?  why would you force more story onto a movie that had no aspirations to have it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Dude, stop trying to disect GT's logic, man... just let it be...

...on an unrelated note, I eat Gardenburgers because they taste good, not because they taste like what they're trying to be (a hamburger), cuz they don't.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarateDude, stop trying to disect GT's logic, man... just let it be...

...on an unrelated note, I eat Gardenburgers because they taste good, not because they taste like what they're trying to be (a hamburger), cuz they don't.

i second and third both points.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02yeah but by your definition, dont you judge films by what they are trying to be?  xxx had no interest in a little more story, it was all about being cool.  so, didnt it succeed in doing that?  why would you force more story onto a movie that had no aspirations to have it?

I'll continue this anyways. Look at S.W.A.T, its a movie of the same caliber of depth as XXX but yet it does have a story that makes the action scenes more rewarding. When I ask for more story, I don't ask for more depth, just better pacing.

Quote from: Regular KarateDude, stop trying to disect GT's logic, man... just let it be...

Ah, but who says they are necessarily trying to taste like a regular burger? Has the company who made this "burger" ever said such a thing? I'll be they are going for a unique (but good) taste.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Regular Karate

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAh, but who says they are necessarily trying to taste like a regular burger? Has the company who made this "burger" ever said such a thing? I'll be they are going for a unique (but good) taste.

EXACTLY... you understand!

and yet... you don't

Fernando

Quote from: SHAFTR
it's good to see an action film that doesn't rely on one liners

Quote from: MacGuffin
The hand-held camera work (and to some extent, the editing) was too frenetic and jittery, thus distracting.
I've always been a fan of Joan Allen and she plays a worthy adversary.

Quote from: Pas
No annoying spy-in-love story, that was nice.

Quote from: MEATBALL
It was very well executed. It knew what type of movie that it was, and it hit all it's marks dead on. There was never a moment where I thought it was meandering.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetDuring the interrogation scene in Naples, the film shows him there silent at first with ominous sounds straight out of a horror film. It is a perfect and simple introduction to the new state of his mind and the scene is perfectly played out to bring out the fear everyone in the film has for him and how dangerous he can feel to the audience.

Agree 100%. What shaft said was probably what made this film really great for me.

This made me want to buy the EE of Identity.