the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

godardian

Sanctuary Records Group Announcement

MORRISSEY SIGNS TO SANCTUARY RECORDS

Sanctuary Records Group and Morrissey have announced that they have resurrected the Attack label to release the forthcoming new album by Morrissey.

The label will be distributed via BMG in the US, Pinnacle in the UK and Sanctuary Records Group's various distribution partners in the rest of the world. The deal was signed on the 20th of May and Morrissey will begin recording his first album since 1997's Maladjusted immediately.

The Attack label - part of the legendary Trojan Records family - released records by The Pioneers, Gregory Isaacs, The Upsetters, Big Youth and I Roy amongst many others between 1969 and 1980.

The Sanctuary Group Inc Chief Executive Officer Merck Mercuriadis commented, "Morrissey is one of the most important artists of the last 20 years and we are delighted that he has given us the opportunity to lead the charge on this significant next phase of his career with a deal that is as innovative as his music. Early on in our discussions Morrissey proved himself to be a connoisseur of our Trojan Records catalogue and expressed an interest in using the Attack label for the release of his records much as he did the HMV label when he was with EMI. We are very pleased to accommodate and hope that he will also find new artists to release on Attack. Attack Records will be a reflection of his creative vision and his exclusive domain."

The Sanctuary Records Group's labels and artists include Rough Trade Records, Fantastic Plastic, Trojan Records, The Strokes, Spiritualized, The Libertines, Ween, Death In Vegas, British Sea Power, Pet Shop Boys, The Beatings, Tricky and The Futureheads.

A brand new documentary, entitled 'The Importance Of Being Morrissey' will be screened on Channel 4 on Sunday 8th June at 11.15pm (BST).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiI'm looking for a The Smiths song that I heard a while ago. It goes something like:

"went to london and died"

"this is the story of my life"

Those are just the lyrics I remember.

"Half A Person"

Call me morbid, call me pale
I've spent six years on your trail
Six long years
On your trail

I've spent six years on your trail
Six full years of my life on your trail

And if you have five seconds to spare
Then I'll tell you the story of my life :
Sixteen, clumsy and shy
I went to London and I
I booked myself in at the Y ... W.C.A.
I said : "I like it here - can I stay ?
I like it here - can I stay ?
Do you have a vacancy
For a Back-scrubber?"

She was left behind, and sour
And she wrote to me, equally dour
She said : "In the days when you were
Hopelessly poor
I just liked you more..."

Sixteen, clumsy and shy
I went to London and I
I booked myself in at the Y ... W.C.A.
I said : "I like it here - can I stay ?
I like it here - can I stay ?
And do you have a vacancy
For a Back-scrubber ?"

I've spent too long on your trail
Far too long
Chasing your tail
Oh ...

Sixteen, clumsy and shy
That's the story of my life
Sixteen, clumsy and shy
The story of my life
The story of my life
That's the story ...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Good god, was Morrissey ever a brilliant lyricist. Only with The Smiths could I ever come close to relating to the sort of Beatlemania devotion you see in the old films. My devotion is complete and (so far) lifelong. They've never faded the way other groups I've loved can.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

sorry phill i missed this thread the other day

the man wrote songs like

hairdresser on fire, shoplifters of the world unite , and death of a disco dancer

of course he will be a huge influence on me

i just feel bad that his penis was mangled in a bike accident, ohh poor moz , i would be bummed as well if such a thing happened to me .

ohh course i never understood why he was so huge amungst asians

godardian

If anyone ever had a good sense of humor about penises and such... it was Morrissey. I love the photo of him in front of a hand-scrawled sign: "Penis mighter than the sword."

Gold Trumpet

I downloaded my first song by The Smiths, "Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me" after Andre 3000 recommended it recently and said he wish he wrote it. I liked it and want to explore some more songs by them. To the person trying to make the cross over from the numbing sounds of pop radio all day, where do I begin?

P.S. I'm really not into radio, but I do need a starting point with this band.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTo the person trying to make the cross over from the numbing sounds of pop radio all day, where do I begin?

Get the rest of the album:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

start with this...

i did. it's a good introduction to them and just about every song you could download off it will be good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI downloaded my first song by The Smiths, "Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me" after Andre 3000 recommended it recently and said he wish he wrote it. I liked it and want to explore some more songs by them. To the person trying to make the cross over from the numbing sounds of pop radio all day, where do I begin?

P.S. I'm really not into radio, but I do need a starting point with this band.

Ah... this is a pleasure.

My favorite Smiths songs:

1. "Panic"
2. "There is a Light that Never Goes Out"
3. "Some Girls Are Bigger than Others"
4. "Shoplifters of the World Unite"
5. "Girl Afraid"
6. "Shiela Take a Bow"
7. "Rubber Ring"
8. "Half a Person"
9. "Still Ill"
10. "I Know It's Over"

Their best album is The Queen is Dead (w/ Alain Delon on the cover!).

Almost anything of theirs is worth checking out. Most popular Smiths song in the US by far is "How Soon is Now?" A very good song- not their best.

A great place to start is the Best... 1 and 2 U.S. compilations, though the best curation is on the UK comp The World Won't Listen.

Enjoy, and please post your thoughts on the music!

"Last Night I Dreamt..." is Bowie's favorite Smiths song, and is covered by The Thrills on the b-side of their new single.

EDIT: MacG's and modernage's suggestions are great places to start, too. I'd suggest starting with anything after Meat is Murder. The first two albums show huge promise and potential; the rest shows that potential blossoming like absolute mad.

modage

Quote from: godardian
"Last Night I Dreamt..." is Bowie's favorite Smiths song, and is covered by The Thrills on the b-side of their new single.

oh wow, i have to hear that!  do they do any other covers?  beach boys perhaps?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: godardian

oh wow, i have to hear that!  do they do any other covers?  beach boys perhaps?

The 7-inch vinyl version of the same single (it's "Don't Steal Our Sun") has a live cover of REM's "The One I Love." Smiths connection: Rumors surrounding Stipe and Morrissey were flying fast and furious during the early nineties. They claim they had nothing more than a friendship, but they're awfully shy 'n sly about it when it comes up.

There are 2 CDs and the vinyl. The other CD is nothing too special- a radio session version of an album track on the b-side, no biggie.

TheVoiceOfNick

The Smiths is a great band, and anything you hear from them is bound to be great.  The thing is... they were basically a singles band... releasing lots singles, then repeating some of the same songs on different albums... the greatest hits CD is essential Smiths listening...

godardian

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThe Smiths is a great band, and anything you hear from them is bound to be great.  The thing is... they were basically a singles band... releasing lots singles, then repeating some of the same songs on different albums... the greatest hits CD is essential Smiths listening...

This is completely true, and that's what they always meant to be... the real top-notch Smiths stuff is their singles and b-sides, so starting with a compilation is probably the best idea. You can find Best... I and II on the cheap everywhere- used CD shops, used copies on the 'Net, from record clubs, etc. Those two discs are a very good place to start. I predict you'll want more, though, and all their actual best stuff isn't covered.

freakerdude

I was checking out Morissey and the Smiths on BMG's website. Morissey had only this one mainstream hit that was played here in Atlanta on our only commercial alternative station. Anyway, I checked out his Best Of but none of the songs struck a bell with me.

Does anyone have a clue as to what it might be and I can't give any freaking lyrics. I just know it was a real suave and grooving tune and he also played this during his SNL performance. What were his biggest comm. radio hits? Allmusic is an excellent music source for info just like imdb is, IMO.

BMG has all single CDs for $5.99 free shipping and most 2 disc sets for $8.99 free shipping until tomorrow. If you are a member, all discs are 2/3 off & free shipping....except those like brand new releases, Beatles, etc.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

Quote from: freakerdudeI just know it was a real suave and grooving tune and he also played this during his SNL performance.

That was the episode with Michael keaton as host. It was either "Suedehead" or "Glamourous Glue". Most likely "Suedehead"; that was his most mainstream hit, although at that time he was promoting the album "Your Arsenal" and played "Glamourous Glue" first.

Skeleton FilmWorks