Largo - a new film produced by Paul Thomas Anderson

Started by Marty McSuperfly, October 19, 2007, 01:34:57 PM

Marty McSuperfly

It's a new documentary about Jon Brion's club in LA.

Produced by Paul Thomas Anderson and directed by Mark Flanagan & Andrew van Baal the film features performances by Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, Zach Galifianakis, John C. Reilly, Nels Cline, Colin Hay, Patton Oswalt, Flight of the Concords, Sarah Silverman, Grant Lee Phillips, Sara Watkins, David Garza, Tom Brosseau, Bic Runga and many, many more.

No release date on the film other than "coming soon".

There's a trailer on the site http://www.largofilm.com/ (look under "media") featuring Aimee Mann singing Save Me and John C Reilly doing his thang on stage.

Who else is excited about this?

This almost makes up for the sucky poster  :bravo:

Stefen

Ugh. Sarah Silverman is like the Fred Durst of comedy. She's awful and only wants attention. Why are PTA and Jon Brion hanging out with her? Don't tell me their trying to get into that Comedy Central/MTV crowd.

Aside from having that cunt in the mix, it sounds AWESOME. I've been listening to NOTHING but Fiona Apple the last two days. Nels Cline gonna rock the fuck out with his geetar, hellz yeah.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

does anyone know who's playing at the middle of the trailer? it's just after john c reilly and that guy who screams "rapes" (or something).

72teeth

greg proops of "Who's line.." and "Episode 1" fame...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

mogwai

Quote from: 72teeth on October 20, 2007, 02:43:36 AM
greg proops of "Who's line.." and "Episode 1" fame...

no, the music just right after him.

john

Dunno... after Reilly, I pretty much lose interest until the clip of Jon Brion and Benmont Tench playing some fine-ass barrelhouse piano together.

If the Reilly/Brion/Galifianakis/GLP/Garza quotent is high and the Silverman/Cho/Watkins quotent is low... this documentary might rule.

Or, at least, be a nice substitute for the never-finished Brion doc Sam Jones was supposedly working on.

Just documenting what a fan-fucking-tastic, unique, and special place Largo can be will be worth the ticket price. I'm sure everyone whose never been there has read enough literary hand-jobs regarding how great the place is/there's really nothing else like it/go-go-go to last the rest of their life...

but, seriously....

The place is great/nothing like it/go-go-go...
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

Quote from: mogwai on October 20, 2007, 02:42:56 AM
does anyone know who's playing at the middle of the trailer? it's just after john c reilly and that guy who screams "rapes" (or something).

Nels Cline?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

mogwai

Quote from: squints on October 20, 2007, 10:30:23 AM
Quote from: mogwai on October 20, 2007, 02:42:56 AM

Nels Cline?

yes, that's him after i googled. time will probably tell what the song is called. the dude has a music registry as wide as michael moore's ass.

tpfkabi

i had no idea there was a Brion doc in the works.
any idea why it was scrapped?

i actually listened to I Heart Huckabees today.
i forgot how good that soundtrack was.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

So I meant to post this weeks ago, but I saw this at the Austin Film Festival.

It's a straightforward concert film.  There are no interviews and save for a few brief shots, nothing behind the scenes.

The screening I watched was misframed... not severely, but enough to tell and out of sync.  I don't know if the sync issues were due to the film making or the presentation, but it wasn't a straightforward sync problem, just an occasional lag, so that might be slowing this thing down.

It was shot on DVX, which doesn't show through very often, but sometimes it's video qualities really show through and all of a sudden it looks like old Twilight-zone episodes.

The music is almost all really enjoyable.  It's cool to see some musicians team up with other musicians they don't typically play with and I think they did a pretty good job at picking great performances.

What I really think it lacked though was the comedy.  They barely show any of the comic's sets.  Paul F. Tompkins (the most talented comic involved) was in it for maybe less than a minute.
Zach's bit is the best in the film and most fitting as it was more of a "moment" and it goes on the longest.

bonanzataz

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 04, 2008, 03:44:11 PMsometimes it's video qualities really show through and all of a sudden it looks like old Twilight-zone episodes.

you know that only 4 episodes of the twilight zone were ever shot on video, right?

what am i saying, of COURSE you did! must've been a typo or something.

omg, i'm such a nerd, what the fuck is wrong with me?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

RegularKarate

Quote from: bonanzataz on November 17, 2008, 04:58:10 AM
you know that only 4 episodes of the twilight zone were ever shot on video, right?

what am i saying, of COURSE you did! must've been a typo or something.

omg, i'm such a nerd, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Sure, I guess I knew that.... it seems like some of the ones shot on film were transferred to bad video though and so they still look all ghosty.

jenkins

listened to/watched john c, patton, zach. zach is an example of me choosing first names since they're easier. he cracked me up because he does that to me. patton told a west virginia story, and i think west virginia, appalachia, is an interesting example of the challenges faced creating a unified usa that has a value system relevant to its time period. aren't they terrible, the appalachians? it's a dangerous topic because it's so easy to agree with, and i've heard it said that people of appalachia are an ethnic group it seems politically correct to be prejudice toward. tricky topic, the appalachians. a good joke topic from patton. the john c story about an irish accent on the boogie nights set, that's another pta story i'm going to put in my pocket

i didn't watch sarah or any of the musicians. does anyone, outside of "watch everything," have a specific recommendation? i noticed fiona. does anyone know the name of the guy who at one point is playing a guitar while whistling?

thanks for the link