Magical Bruce Lee cinematic moments

Started by Bruce Lee, March 27, 2004, 09:38:41 AM

Bruce Lee

i used to be a black belt in Okinawan and seidokan Karate for a few good years making the transition into kung fu (Wing Chun then Jeet Kune Do) and i can certainly note everything is more flowing.

Karate has you learning different types of moves for different situations including specific ways of standing, moving and breathing for various attacks and defences. its all rehearsed, planned. Jeet Kune Do is more relying on instinct and no organised pattern of movement.

A Karate master could beat an ordinary man and a few other fighting styles but going up against a kung fu master, (unless he was Mas Oyama maybe) he wouldn't have a chance.

As for Bruce teaching Lewis, Chuck and them winning tournaments....they were already consecutive Karate Champions before Bruce got anywhere near them.
And as for introducing some of the moves Bruce would use in JKD in a Karate tournament....you'd be disqualified and out on your ass

shinwa

A Karate master could beat an ordinary man and a few other fighting styles but going up against a kung fu master, (unless he was Mas Oyama maybe) he wouldn't have a chance.

This is an unrealistic and  juvenille view of the Martial Arts.  It isn't style that's important, it's the individual.  Kung Fu isn't a magic pill you take to defeat all Japanese opponents.  It's a tool, it's effectiveness determined by those who wield it.. PLENTY of Kung Fu fighters have been beaten by Karate Champions, and Vice Versa.

As for Bruce teaching Lewis, Chuck and them winning tournaments....they were already consecutive Karate Champions before Bruce got anywhere near them.

He helped them become even better, otherwise they wouldn't have continued training with him.

QuoteAnd as for introducing some of the moves Bruce would use in JKD in a Karate tournament....you'd be disqualified and out on your ass
[/quote]

The same goes for every Martial Art on the face of the planet. Karate included. Competition is a game, it isn't meant to be deadly. Noone is meant to be seriously hurt.

When Bruce spoke of Karate he did so with his own personal bias. He was by no means a perfect man.   Besides that, some of his techniques were borrowed from Japanese fighting systems.
Run until you puke blood.
Practice until you piss blood.
- Ping Pong

pete

oh, so turns out that "Bruce Lee", in the end, is just another one of the 1000s of "my kungfu is the best" McDojo dudes.

first of all, jeet kune do is not kungfu.  It's not even a system.  It's just a process of learning martial arts.  So I can't really comprehend why you would classify jeet kunedo under "kungfu", especially after your hero Bruce's repeatedly emphasized that he doesn't believe in karate or kungfu.
Secondly, it sounded like your disillusionment with karate was not in karate itself - but rather the WAY you were taught.  You weren't trained to fight, you were trained, as you stated, to react the same way in a variety of circumstances.  that has to do with you and your school, don't take it out on karate as a whole.
thirdly, that "kungfu master can beat up karateka" argument is one of the weakest in the world, and YOU just disproved it yourself.  By saying "unless he was mas oyama", meaning a PERSON could transcend a style.  Which is probably the only claim close to any kind of truth you have made.  Style vs. style is the dumbest argument in the world, and you, a self-proclaimed fan of a Bruce Lee, is making such an argument (on a board about indie movies no less), which just goes further to prove your lack of understanding in the very person you worship so much.
Have you ever seen old footages of Bruce sparring in tournaments?  He was not disqualified.  And he used JKD.
I can't really believe that you're a martial artist from the way you talk about the arts.  JKD is not just a set of moves that are incompatible with karate moves and therefore superior.  JKD is a method, it does not contain any move by itself, it's a thought.  If you've actually listened to any lecture by Bruce's own Dan Inasonto, you'll realize that one of the biggest efforts they've made in JKD was to find similarity in the arts--for example, the sticky hand drill in wing chun and the stick drills in penjak-silat, or a karateka's reverse punch coupled with British boxer Gentleman Jim Corbett's "straight blast".  Don't pin your failure as a martial artist on karate, and don't twist Bruce Lee's words to mask your failure as a martial artist.
And this is coming from a wing chun guy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

I did kung fu for a couple of years, so I'm no expert.  As much as I used to read about Bruce Lee, I don't know that much about him anymore, but I do know that he eschewed geographic boundaries about martial arts.  This idea is even in Way of the Dragon (IIRC).  The quote was from 1962, if he even said it, so make of that what you will.  I doubt he had the same beliefs in 1969 as he did in 1962.

Bruce Lee

The Jeet Kune Do basis was created on the basis of sticking hands, Wing Chun which is a form of Kung Fu.

Bruce Lee never fought against karate practitioners in tournaments, he never took part in any tournaments! he merely made appearances and put a display on and gave lectures.

Lewis and Chuck continued training because it gave them a good reputation as being tought by the hardest most talked about martial artist on the planet. Sure they were keen to try and learn some of Bruces moves but pulling them off as effectively as Bruce....they had no chance.

Karate is Traditional junk, Kung Fu is the balls. end of arguement.

shinwa

Quote from: Bruce LeeThe Jeet Kune Do basis was created on the basis of sticking hands, Wing Chun which is a form of Kung Fu.

Bruce Lee never fought against karate practitioners in tournaments, he never took part in any tournaments! he merely made appearances and put a display on and gave lectures.

Lewis and Chuck continued training because it gave them a good reputation as being tought by the hardest most talked about martial artist on the planet. Sure they were keen to try and learn some of Bruces moves but pulling them off as effectively as Bruce....they had no chance.

Karate is Traditional junk, Kung Fu is the balls. end of arguement.

You've never trained a day in your life. You're just a fanboy.
- Ping Pong

pete

aww, just when I was glad that there was another Bruce Lee fan on this pansy shmansy board of canoodles and multi-layered ironies, turned out he was a phoney.
jeet kune do is created on the basis of sticking hands?  what about the grappling aspects of it?  the kicks?  the knifework?  have you ever studied kali?  there's sticking hands in there too.  What about arnis?  Tai chi?  familiar with any southeastern asian arts?  how about jiujiutsu and hapkido?  they stick too!
have you ever seen Bruce Lee kick?  Those aren't kungfu kicks, nevermind wing-chun kicks.  In Wing Chun they'd never teach you to kick above your waist, nevermind a high section round-house, or multi-section roundhouses.  hey, remember those numchucks?  guess who invented them?  OKINAWAN FARMERS!  WHAT?!

QuoteKarate is Traditional junk, Kung Fu is the balls. end of arguement.  Oh and I had sex with a horse once.

What?  You had sex with a horse once?
- Buster Keaton

Bruce Lee

You silly idot ^.....lol

Jeet Kune Do didn't just form out of thin air or out of a few moves here and there it was modified from Bruce's childhood teachings of Wing Chun with the legendary Yip Man. Thats the punching aspect of jeet kune do.

Wing Chun deals with finding the simplest and most direct route to the opponent which is a principal of jeet kune do.
Once Bruce found that Wing Chun isn't affective against some attacks he started to incoporate ideas from other martial arts.

It was only after taking a while to beat up Wong Jack Man in the states that Bruce decided to re-examine his skills and is when JKD began.

If you're going to comment at least make it sound like you know something about Bruce or the martial arts.

cine

This is the geekiest thread I've ever read.

that rhymed, fuck off

shinwa

Quote from: CinephileThis is the geekiest thread I've ever read.

that rhymed, fuck off

Go read the PTA forum.
- Ping Pong

cine

No no. I'm sticking with this one...

pete

what about the punching aspect of jkd that came from boxing?  have you ever taken xing-yi?  that's all about the simples and most direct route too.  or <gasp!> karate?  I didn't see any circular punches there?  Or I dunno, ANY OTHER MARTIAL ART IN THE WORLD?
JKD is not kungfu, it might have some wing chun punches, but it's not kungfu.  As I've mentioned earlier (which you didn't read), JKD also takes from boxing, karate, various grappling arts, and a huge arsenal of Southeastern Asian arts, but you can't call JKD boxing or karate or whatever.  'Cause it's not a style.
Again, you're just reciting facts and legends about Bruce Lee without really know what you're talking about.
ah why do I even bother when you're not even gonna read this?  you're going to post another "Did you know" semi-mythical fact about Bruce Lee and then add "kungfu" rules" in the end.  free time in my hands I guess.

Quote from: Bruce LeeYou silly idot ^.....lol

DID YOU KNOW BRUCE LEE KICKED PRAYING MANTIS GUY WONG JACK MAN'S ASS?

JKD = KUNG FU!
- Buster Keaton

Bruce Lee

As my user name implies im a die-hard Bruce Lee fan, i've read and watched probably almost everything to do with Bruce. I've taken Jeet Kune Do at the london JKD academy under Chris Kent for over 4 years now.
JKD uses Wing Chuns sticking hands, unlike Karate, it generaly involves one swift movement with both hands to block and strike the apponent.....opposing to just using defence without combining it with an attack.
And as reffering to Bruce doing Kung Fu, he practised Kung Fu in his life until the mid 60's and at the that time he was a kick ass at it. JKD merges all styles and has no style but Bruce is hardly going to forget his years of kung fu training...or else that would mean any joe blogs could master JKD within a few years.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: CinephileThis is the geekiest thread I've ever read.

that rhymed, fuck off

........ :evil:  :evil:  :evil: .how dare you insult us kung fu-natics like that...you dont understand what we go through...it all starts with discipline...as kids we grew up watching the karate kid movies and the teenage mutant ninja turtles .through their sufferring we adapted an ideology to become martial artists.we got our parents to pay for our karate lessons after school....we were beat up and people stole are lunch money and once i got sodomized by a ruler during geometry class...we were tired of being pissed on and treated like sh*t....we sought refuge through master splinter and mister meyogi "wax on /wax off"....the credo for us was set.once we obtained that yellow belt.we went back to school and still got the sh*t beat out of use and yes .they even still stick odd things up my ass....but after many lessons with our teachers we learned how to defend ourselves...my after school instrucor was master sheguioshi...his dojo was next to the mcDonalds  downtown in my neighborhood....i went weeks and we developed a kinship and comraderie...he took a shy boy and made me into a warrior of cunning and grace...when he first met me he even tooks the things out of my ass and placed them in a glass cage in his dojo to remind me what the penalty of suffereing could do .......so that made me work even harder to obtain the black belt.... weeks later after my final lessons master sheguioshi took me aside and massage my back w/ spiritual oils and even took me to the mcDonals next door to get a hambuger w/ no mustard and a strawberry shake and two medium fries......he even paid for it.:-D...we talked about life and what his meaning of life is..he told me"NEON-son, the chopsticks of salvation cry out through a pleasurer's impluse"....i thought that that was one of the most beautiful things i ever heard......he took me home in his camero and we listened to john secada in his car....he touched my leg- i got aroused.........then next time i met my foe at school i phucked his face all up....and victory was mine.....going on 20-something years i became more and more involved w/ martial arts..from bruce lee to steven segal........so, please .give us the respect we deserve.....or we will kick your ass........

cine

I didn't read that. Can someone tell me if I need to?