Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

Sleepless

How's the current streaming selection on Netflix right now? I did a search for a few titles on the non-member version of the site and it appears the ones I happened to look for are all available, but it's not clear if they're available in streaming or if just on DVD. I'm not going to ask anyone to check a list of films for me, just wondering if a current subscriber considers the library of streaming titles to be worth joining up again if  I'm looking primarily for releases within the past 6 months?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

I look at Netflix Streaming like checking out movies from the public library. If you go in looking for a specific title, you'll probably be disappointed. But if you go in just to browse, chances are you'll find something you feel like watching.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

That's how I treated it in the past, aside from occasionally getting into a TV show that had all episode of on there. So nothing has improved in the few months I've been away? Might consider trying out Blockbuster's new scheme for a while until things get better then... Might bridge the gap between Redbox's convenience and Netflix's DVD selection.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pwaybloe

Blockbuster's new scheme?  Are you referring to their package deal when you sign up for Dish Network?

If you are a Criterion fanatic, there's no better place than Hulu Plus. 

socketlevel

let's be honest with ourselves, 90% of the reason to buy criterion is to geek out and place them on our shelves (ordered by the spine #) so that we can occasionally look over and smile. The other 10% is to own or be introduced to a classic deemed so by an elitist company.

And I own a lot of them...

the last thing i would do is stream one.
the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

There's not even a 1% that can be partitioned off to "movies are sometimes good to watch"?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pwaybloe

Quote from: socketlevel on April 11, 2012, 08:17:55 PM
let's be honest with ourselves, 90% of the reason to buy criterion is to geek out and place them on our shelves (ordered by the spine #) so that we can occasionally look over and smile. The other 10% is to own or be introduced to a classic deemed so by an elitist company.

And I own a lot of them...

the last thing i would do is stream one.

Suit yourself.  However, I believe you have a misconception on the video quality.  It certainly meets or exceeds DVD quality.  Regretfully there are zero to minimum bonus features and no commentaries, which I really miss. 

Regardless, I have a selection of about 400+ movies I can choose from and stream anywhere for $8 per month (I'm currently streaming Ozu's "The Only Son" in a hotel room at 480p).  You could never get the speed or economy from a mail order service like Netflix and Blockbuster.  Also, in case you haven't checked lately, Criterion discs are rarely available anymore. 

If you just blind buy instead, well then I guess you are a moron that likes to "geek out and place them on our shelves (ordered by the spine #)..." 

O.

A professor of mine blind buys a lot of DVDs. In Blu-Ray, too. I asked him if he liked Meek's Cutoff or Uncle Boonme, and he hadn't seen either but had the DVDs for a while (months), both of these being movies I streamed. I could't imagine being like that. So much money.
superb

RegularKarate

Now days there is always something to watch on Netflix streaming and the quality is just getting better and better.

They just added Melancholia... if you want to get sad and angry today.

mogwai

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 12, 2012, 11:26:51 AM
Now days there is always something to watch on Netflix streaming and the quality is just getting better and better.

Well, you get angry of how slow the first part is and how fucking sad the last part is. Spoiler?

Sleepless

Quote from: Pwaybloe on April 11, 2012, 07:11:32 PM
Blockbuster's new scheme?  Are you referring to their package deal when you sign up for Dish Network?

If you are a Criterion fanatic, there's no better place than Hulu Plus.

No, I mean their DVDs-by-mail/in store swap scheme. I hate Blockbuster, so it goes against everything I stand for, but it allows for the typical range of movies I'm trying to watch conveniently (e.g. Meek's Cutoff and X-Men: First Class). I'd prefer something which offered a board selection by streaming, but it doesn't seem such a thing is available for a low monthly subscription. I guess there's always a jailbroken Apple TV...

RegularKarate

That scheme is old.  Have fun getting frustrated with scratched discs and cropped movies.

socketlevel

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 12, 2012, 11:26:51 AM

well, in truth, netflix in Canada isn't what it is down south. The selection is horrible.

don't get me wrong I'd watch a film on netflix, I just think raving about criterion releases on hulu is missing the reason why that company is as big as it is. It's all based on a pretension; that i shamefully admit to falling for time and time again.
the one last hit that spent you...

Sleepless

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 12, 2012, 04:55:36 PM
That scheme is old.  Have fun getting frustrated with scratched discs and cropped movies.

Yeesh... You got a point. I guess I'll stick to Redbox, Mubi and occasional iTunes rental.

mogwai

Some of y'all probably have heard that Sweden and other European countries also have Netflix now. I'm too lazy to browse through my question so apologises in advance. My question is that I saw a wee bit of "Outlaw Josey Wales" and the audio was a wee bit unsynced with what the characters said. Has that happened to anyone here? That unsynced business didn't feature with the other titles.