Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

mutinyco

Mine is throughout and I agree with Pubrick.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrickonce again like in the eternal sunshine thread, can sumone (ono cos he's good at it) tell me what pages i should read in this piece of crap.

mine is on page 28..and it will change your mind.....or prove to you that i'm an idiot... :lookatthis:

MacGuffin

The missing bits of KILL BILL VOL. 2
Article compares film to screenplay
Source: Screenwriter's Voice

An interesting comparison between the final cut of KILL BILL VOL. 2 and Quentin Tarantino's screenplay is now online at Screenwriter's Voice. As you may know, Tarantino originally wrote KILL BILL as one 200+ page screenplay and intended to release it as one single picture until Miramax requested that it be broken up into two separate films. Screenwriter's Voice examines the scenes in VOL. 2 and compares them to their corresponding segments of the screenplay to see what's changed along the development process. If you're curious to find out what Tarantino originally had in mind when The Bride and Bill have their climactic showdown, it's in here as well as an overview of a deleted scene featuring Bill at a high stakes card game.

"No single detail is enough to drastically change the second half of KILL BILL, but the combination, plus the decisions made in the editing room, have created a very different film than what appeared on the page," writes Dayna Van Buskirk in his script comparison article. "The pace is much slower, the scenes don't flow they way they once did. It's equally interesting and frustrating how a script once meant to be one single film can go through enough changes to become two films that are so very different."

http://screenwriting.ugo.com/articles/killbill2_scripttofilm.php
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

Quote from: MacGuffinyou may know, Tarantino originally wrote KILL BILL as one 200+ page screenplay

No wonder...  :?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

coffeebeetle

Quote from: ProgWRX
Quote from: SoNowThenMy major problem was that it felt like QT got cold feet near the end and felt the need to have some sort of rational motivator with the whole mother-daughter thing. I don't mind getting expectations subverted, but ripping me off with no final big fight scene is going too far, imo.

to me, QT getting cold feet would've been doing a completely predictable huge epic fight between bill and beatrix... i found it REAL ballsy that the last showdown between this two was more of a mental/emotional "duel" rather than just another fight scene...
:?

I'm sooo right there with you, Prog/  And unlike Vol. 1, The Bride was a much-more rounded out character and not just a "cardboard" killing machine.  I thought the ending was brilliant.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: coffeebeetle
Quote from: ProgWRX
Quote from: SoNowThenMy major problem was that it felt like QT got cold feet near the end and felt the need to have some sort of rational motivator with the whole mother-daughter thing. I don't mind getting expectations subverted, but ripping me off with no final big fight scene is going too far, imo.

to me, QT getting cold feet would've been doing a completely predictable huge epic fight between bill and beatrix... i found it REAL ballsy that the last showdown between this two was more of a mental/emotional "duel" rather than just another fight scene...
:?

I'm sooo right there with you, Prog/  And unlike Vol. 1, The Bride was a much-more rounded out character and not just a "cardboard" killing machine.  I thought the ending was brilliant.

Yeah, me too. That makes much sense.

Finn

there's much to admire throughout the whole film
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin"No single detail is enough to drastically change the second half of KILL BILL, but the combination, plus the decisions made in the editing room, have created a very different film than what appeared on the page," writes Dayna Van Buskirk in his script comparison article. "The pace is much slower, the scenes don't flow they way they once did. It's equally interesting and frustrating how a script once meant to be one single film can go through enough changes to become two films that are so very different."

http://screenwriting.ugo.com/articles/killbill2_scripttofilm.php
wow, that sounds like a much different and hugely more satisfying film.  how disappointing.  pretty much all my complaints with it werent there to begin with as part two seemed to be closer to part one in the script.  what the hell was he thinking?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Part of me thinks that he was pissed off by the criticism heaped on Part 1 "all style, too much violence, not enough dialogue, blah blah blah", so he felt the need to really hammer home the character dev and dialogue this time. But I hope I'm wrong. Maybe he didn't even shoot any of that last fight...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

Just as the ghost of Elvis appeared in True Romance, the ghost of Bruce Lee should have appeared in Kill Bill at appropriate moments to provide inspiration for the Bride.
Music is your best entertainment value.

coffeebeetle

I don't think so; Presley was an inextricable element of Slater's character.  If there had to be a "ghost" with the Bride, it should be Pei Lei (sp?). IMHO, of course.  :)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

mutinyco

It got its balls kicked in this weekend. Had nearly a 65% drop from last week.

-St. Joe

Alethia

Quote from: SoNowThenMaybe he didn't even shoot any of that last fight...

the fight in the script is basically her blocking a few of his blows like pai mei, then the whole sheath thing happens (as in the film) and everything else is the same, only in the film, there is added dialogue and it doesn't take place on a beach as it does in the script.

if you ask me, it's not all that better....it was still a short fight and if it had been this one instead of the one we got, people would still complain about it.

brockly

Quote from: mutinycoIt got its balls kicked in this weekend.
how is that? it remains in the top 5 below only 2 new releases. i hardly call that getting its balls kicked in. alot better than i was expecting, considering Vol. 1 dropped down to #7 in its 2nd week.

I have seen Vol. 2 three times now, and i like it even more than i did the first time i saw it. it will definatly be at the top of my list at the end of the year. so far, everyone i've seen it with has agreed that it is a better film than the fist one (except one friend who called it boring and said it didn't have enough action, but that immediatly makes his opinion bullshit). If you consider both volumes as seperate films, i guess i would also agree that Vol. 2 is definatly better than Vol. 1. as a whole, it easily stacks up to Tarantino's other films (except RD, which is shit). It may even be his best.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Brock Landers(except RD, which is shit).

:bs:  ..reservoir dogs is not excrement..its great....

but i can go sherlock homes on dat ass and find the reason why you didn't like resevoir dogs by analyzing your post..

Quote from: Brock LandersI have seen Vol. 2 three times now, and i like it even more than i did the first time i saw it. it will definatly be at the top of my list at the end of the year. so far, everyone i've seen it with has agreed that it is a better film than the fist one (except one friend who called it boring and said it didn't have enough action, but that immediatly makes his opinion bullshit). If you consider both volumes as seperate films, i guess i would also agree that Vol. 2 is definatly better than Vol. 1. as a whole, it easily stacks up to Tarantino's other films (except RD, which is shit). It may even be his best.

ha!    it seems that you and your friend have the same critiqing skills.....