Hip Hop

Started by Jack Sparrow, April 27, 2003, 12:43:51 PM

Jack Sparrow

I thought it was time to start a thread about hip hop. Although I'm not the expert I recall growing up watching Yo! Mtv raps at saturdays. Doctor Dre, Ed Lover and that other guy (forgot about his name, help me). I also remember during 91 to 93 (it was maybe longer) when Dr Dre and Ice Cube put out very very good albums.  I also remember Wu-Tang Clan's debut album but I was still caught up with the grunge thing. I also remember Bone thugs n harmony's tribute to the late Easy E (correct spelling?) "See you at tha crossroads". Watching Boyz N The Hood and feeling happy although it had a very sad ending. Buying Nas "It was written" in 96 and feeling happy. Nas is one of the few strong rappers. Discovering The Fugees just before when everything exploded for them. I remember watching that Aerosmith vs Run DMC video. I watched the "movie" Wild Style last night and felt happy. Anyone who feels the same as I do about hip hop (and rap)? Watching 2pac alive for the last time at the VMA's 96 (or was it 95?). I remember buying the Beastie Boys single "Pass the mic" (back in 93 and totally forgetting about everything else). Please, to those who love this music, I pass the mic. :)

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiAlthough I'm not the expert I recall growing up watching Yo! Mtv raps at saturdays. Doctor Dre, Ed Lover and that other guy (forgot about his name, help me).

Fab Five Freddy
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

simpler times.. i was happy also:

thinking that there was a dick shot in the video for People Everyday by Arrested Development and cracking up when the old dude starts scatting/bebopping/freaking out. wearing my pants backwards ONCE. house of pain jumping too and nearly falling through windows and shit. knowing as soon as i heard 3am Eternal that KLF were indeed too dope for this planet. Bel Biv Devoe. saying that i knew the definitive lyrics to Informer "ljglskfvlwrjkf a licky boom boom down". RUMPSHAKER, song of the year. Mo Money was my favourite movie and gave me a warm feeling. Be Like Mike. LL COOL J still kickin it man we played the shit out of Mama Said'. when R&B was good and me and my brother liked all the same music. Whoomp There It Is. Bobby Brown teaching me the word "prerogative". Heavy D and da boyzz, Sir Mix A Lot teaching me the finer points of the female anatomy. buying a cypress hill shirt which was too big and i would still wear years later when i finally knew why they were smoking. wishing with skee-lo that i was "a little bit taller" and that i was a baller. basketball, oh man, i was fit. NWA bein the hardest shit i knew.
listening to Ready to Die while playing my "Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis".. learning all the lyrics to 2pac's albums and changing my favourite song about once a week, "Hit Em Up" scaring my mom. conspiracy theories. haha ma$e.

then sumthing happened, and i got serious or sumthin stupit like that..

hearing the beat to At the Helm for the first time and bouncing bouncing bouncing, all the way to the freak i am today.

"I Used to Love H.E.R."

until around 95/96 i was exclusively hiphop, corny shit too, not much classic or highbrow shit. ppl were happier, simpsons/seinfeld were great and new, i swam, i didn't even hav a computer.. . i guess this is why mac remembers his 80s so fondly..
under the paving stones.

picolas

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

when i was a kid that was the only music i liked

till i was about 17 thats all i listened to.

During the 90's alternative music just blew past me, i couldnt give a shit about the smashing pumpkins or pearl jam, the only radio i liked was Rnb

as i got older i opened up.

jmj

The late 80's/early 90's were definitely hiphop's golden years.  Everything was lovely then.  Conscience hiphop was still alive and new styles were emerging.  You could still turn on the radio and hear good shit.  Now it's all bullshit.  You have to go deep underground to hear good stuff now.

remember:
Onyx
MOP
Paris
The EPMD breakup
Amerikkka's most wanted and Death Certificate
Fear of a Black Planet
Tribe
De La
The Chronic
Mobb Deep
The Juice soundtrack
Menace II Society soundtrack
Souls of Mischeif
Del the Funky Homosapien
Poor Righteous Teachers (rock dis funky joint)
Naughy By Nature
Brand Nubian (post Grand Puba)
Fu-Schnickens
Digable Planets
Shaq!!!!!!
KRS-ONE throwing PM Dawn off the stage
The Lost Boyz
Goodie Mob (soul food)
Outkast's first album
Casual
Bo$$
X-Clan
....the list goes on and on.  Shit man, this makes me wanna go home and bust out all my old cassettes.  I used to make crazy mix tapes from the underground hiphop show on our local community station.

I still think the trinity of hip hop emcees are Krs-One, Chuck D, and Rakim.  Can't nobody fuck with them!
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

©brad

hiphop was high school days for me, especially tupac. drivin around at night when we all turned 15 and got our driver's licenses, me thinking i was really cool because i knew every damn word to Bone's "If I could teach the world"--even the fast solo part at the end. there's nothing cooler than 4 skinny white kids bumpin to cypress hill in their mom's toyota camry. smokin blunts too.
now i'm in college and its all hippy shit. i miss it though.

dufresne

Nothin' but a G Thang will always be my #1 all time favorite hip hop track... 8)
There are shadows in life, baby.

Gold Trumpet

I'm still young in getting into Hip hop, but ever since I did, I can tell how much more exciting it has become than rock. Even with the fact that hip hop now has become identified as the biggest advertising company for all things that supposebly make someone gangsta, hip hop screams new ways for innovation and electricity in music. I'm not sure if any band will come along in rock with the power of Nirvana. Its sad though hip hop has been put down to being condenced with bullshit artists and little quality overall, but life is good with just a group like OutKast.

~rougerum

jmj

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetlife is good with just a group like OutKast.
~rougerum

Word to that my friend.  If your interested, here are some other emcees/groups that are doing great stuff with hiphop, in case you haven't heard them:

Common
The Roots
Mos Def
Taleb Kweli
Blackaliscious
Aesop Rock
Freddie Fox
Pep Love
the whole Hyroglyphics crew

Umm...that all I can think of right now off the top of my head.
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.

Gold Trumpet

Many thanks, Jmj. I'll take you up on some of your picks for sure.

~rougerum

jmj

Solid.  Let me know what you think.

For all the hip hop heads out there...have you heard any news on Rakim's new album?  I heard last year that he got signed to Aftermath and Dr. Dre is producing his album due out sometime this year.  "It's been a long time/ I shouldn't of left you..."

Ghostboy

Quote from: jmj"It's been a long time/ I shouldn't of left you..."

Oh, that's that Aaliyah song! I like that! :wink:

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm still young in getting into Hip hop, but ever since I did, I can tell how much more exciting it has become than rock. Even with the fact that hip hop now has become identified as the biggest advertising company for all things that supposebly make someone gangsta, hip hop screams new ways for innovation and electricity in music. I'm not sure if any band will come along in rock with the power of Nirvana. Its sad though hip hop has been put down to being condenced with bullshit artists and little quality overall, but life is good with just a group like OutKast.

~rougerum

:yabbse-thumbup:

dude, i dunno. maybe this diet of mine was a bad idea. ia m drunk though.