Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Lewton

If there's a role here for Mark Rylance, that'd be great... I mean, either here or in any future PTA movie. I just think they should work together. I seem to remember PTA commenting much more on Tom Hanks than Rylance during his interview with Spielberg around the time of the Bridge of Spies press tour. But I can't imagine he's not a Rylance fan? (Random off-topic trivia: Rylance credited DDL for getting him that job with Spielberg because DDL encouraged Spielberg to go watch Rylance in a production of Twelfth Night.)

If it is indeed an ensemble cast, then the possibilities are practically endless. Reminds me of the days leading up to IV. I'm sure there will be some debuts here, like in other cases (i.e., IV and Hong Chau). I'm even wondering if there's any chance this could be a scenario wherein the lead actor is an unknown while the rest of the cast features more established actors.

Speaking of Chau, would also be great for him to work with her again--she's definitely enduring as one of the standout memories of IV as time goes on.

wilberfan

Tdog

Curious to know who's bank rolling this and if it's the same project DeCaprio turned down?

wilberfan

We'll see how the speculation plays out, but have we seen a specific mention of a February start date yet?

QuoteProduction is aiming to begin this February, which means there's a chance we could see it before the end of next year if it follows a similar process as Phantom Thread, which began in January 2017 and was released 11 months later.

Source

Tdog

Another thought: which real life person will the lead be based on?

Yes

So that old poster was a liar?

Alethia

I pray we hear soon that DDL has spent the past year transforming himself back into a teenager, stealthily attending HS in the Valley undetected...

pynchonikon

The man is finally back, that's all i want to know. For now.

pynchonikon

The genre of the film isn't a big surprise, considering his admiration for the work of Linklater (Dazed & Confused immediately came to my mind), and more recently for Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird). Maybe a spiritual prequel of Boogie Nights, with de-aged Marky Mark and Heather Graham in cameo roles? Damn.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on November 12, 2019, 04:42:25 PM
Maybe a spiritual prequel of Boogie Nights, with de-aged Marky Mark and Heather Graham in cameo roles? Damn.

This idea will haunt me for months.

wilberfan

Lewton

I was trying to think of which high school movie might be the most akin to a "PTA high school movie."

That is, what one might expect a "PTA high school movie" to be like. Except, yeah, who really knows what it's actually going to be like at this point. But Running on Empty came to mind. Pretty great Sidney Lumet movie, starring River Phoenix, etc. It's its own thing ultimately but it reminds me of PTA's style in a few ways.

In terms of other possible influences or inspirations, there's also the Peter Yates movie Breaking Away. PTA praised it during the press tour for The Master.

pynchonikon

As of the possibility of an ensemble cast, I would love to see some familiar faces of his filmography return to supporting roles (parents, teachers, film industry guys etc), or even big names who wanted to work with PTA for years, but I know nothing about free schedules up to this point.
I understand why there's excitement with the possibility of Chalamet or Hedges for the lead (i think the latter fits better in the time period and place), but it's under debate whether PTA will want to cast actors in their mid '20s for the roles of high school students or instead offer the chance to a younger one to give his breakthrough performance. I completely trust his instinct, afterall Jeremy Blackman gave one of the nicest kid performances i've ever seen.
My personal wish would be to cast Elle Fanning (born in '98), who had recently expressed the desire to work with him if I 'm not mistaken, or Maya Hawke (also born in '98), who was one of the Stranger Things S03 highlights and I was pretty excited when I learned about her participation in OUATIH, though it turned out to be a blink-and-you-miss-it role.

Yes

PTA is following in Altman's footsteps and dropping his very own O.C. And Stiggs

csage97

I'm greatly excited by the chance of him working with a younger cast. All the actors mentioned by Pynchonikos (great name, by the way) would be awesome. Can't wait for photos of the production to eventually start rolling out. It's always an exciting time when that happens.