Best Musical Composer in Hollywood???

Started by kassius, January 23, 2004, 04:09:14 PM

Redlum

Elmer Bernstein (Magnificent Seven, To Kill a Mocking Bird)

definately Thomas Newman.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

rustinglass

Quote from: chuckhimselfo.
Quote from: rustinglassmorricone. I think that "for a few dollars more" is his best work

ghostboy, you're right about dracula, I don't know the guy, but I'm now remembering how great that score was.

Goran Bregovic- underground, arizona dream and black cat white cat have awesome scores

didn't Emir Kusturica did the music for Underground and Black Cat White Cat?

I checked:
goran did underground and arizona dream; the black cat white cat score was done by emir kusturica and the no smoking orchestra, a cool cool band.

my favourite director, he rocks.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Yes, he's a true artist, IMO.   I liked his cameo in The Good Thief.
context, context, context.

Pas

Yeah he's great

I love Badalamenti a lot of course, Morricone is obvious. These are the only two that I immediatly recognize I think, maybe with Elfman too.

I loved Neil Young's score for Dead Man. Loved !

rustinglass

glad to know you're kusturica fans! there can never be enough of us.
He's got a new film coming out in cannes this year. I would like him to be the first director to ever win 3 golden palms.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MyxomatosisI love Jon Brion's scores of both Magnolia and PDL. I think he's an up and coming composer.
Up and coming? I think he's already made better film music than most hollywood veterans, including Hans Zimmer and Jerry Goldsmith, who I think are incredibly overrated.

freakerdude

My favorite is Angelo Badalamenti and Danny Elfman is right up there too.
MC Pee Pants

Finn

Jon Brion and Angelo Badalamenti are great too.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Just Withnail

Call him repetivie, call him boring or clichèd, but I won't allow this tread to go on without another mention of John Williams, it would be criminal. Not that the Oscars are any standard to judge quality by, but the guy's got 42 noms for christ sakes! Five wins! Not too many composers (if any) can top his body of work. Love him, loathe him, don't ignore him.

life_boy

John Williams (favorites include: E.T., Indiana Jones Trilogy, Star Wars Trilogy, Seven Years in Tibet)

Thomas Newman (favorites include: The Shawshank Redemption, Finding Nemo, American Beauty)

Jerry Goldsmith (favorites include: Basic Instinct, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential)

meatwad

i'm a fan of mark motherbaugh's work. I think it is truly unique

and of course thomas newman. I love his score to The Shawshank Redemption

Myxo

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: MyxomatosisI love Jon Brion's scores of both Magnolia and PDL. I think he's an up and coming composer.
Up and coming? I think he's already made better film music than most hollywood veterans, including Hans Zimmer and Jerry Goldsmith, who I think are incredibly overrated.

I didn't mean "up and coming" in the sense that he isn't as good as any composer working today. I meant that he hasn't worked on that many films yet.

Composer - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Blossoms & Blood (2003) (V)
... aka Blossoms and Blood (2003) (V) (USA: DVD title)
Home Video: The Making of Mad Matt (2002)
... aka Adventures of Mad Matt, The (2003) (USA: new title)
Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
Magnolia (1999)
... aka mag-no'li-a (1999) (USA: promotional title)
Sydney (1996)
... aka Hard Eight (1997) (USA: changed title)

He's composing his 4th feature film. His career is pretty fresh.

Redlum

Quote from: Myxomatosis

Composer - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Just when I thought my anticipation for this film couldn't get any higher...
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

Quote from: ®edlumElmer Bernstein (Magnificent Seven, To Kill a Mocking Bird)

...and World of Henry Orient and Far from Heaven (fantastic score, that) and his re-do of Herrmann for Cape Fear... yes, he's a good one.

Michael Nyman.... has anyone mentioned Michael Nyman yet? It's impossible to think of Greenaway without him, and he did really excellent scores for Wonderland and End of the Affair, as well. The Piano- meh. But he's had more hits than misses, absolutely.

Badalamenti and Brion are brilliant, as well.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

myadopteddaughter

Danny Elfman really helps me to relax...
mmm, mmmm good