Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: cowboykurtiswhat have we done to deserve this?

When To Justin from Kelly came out, not only did a small part of my soul whither away, for but a brief instant, the world stood still and people of all color, nationality, and religion got a whif of the unmistakable stench of--yep, you guessed it--BULLSHIT.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinVan Sant Doing Another Psycho Remake?

Moviehole spoke to writer/director Gus Van Sant about his new film Gerry, starring Casey Affleck and Matt Damon, and the subject of yet another Psycho film came up.

While talking to Moviehole about his new film "Gerry", Gus Van Sant revealed that he is in talks to do another version of "Psycho".

"I'm thinking of remaking "Psycho" again. Doing a third remake. The idea this time is to really change it – we're talking about doing a Punk rocker setting. Viggo Mortensen suggested it. He was married to Exene Cervenka and knows all the right people to get involved – all the right punk rocker etc – so he would definitely be involved if we go ahead.", he says.

Van Sant previously directed a Psycho remake in 1998, with Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche. He also mentioned that his project with John Travolta, Standing Room Only, may still see the light of day down the road.

Gus Van Sant just proves yet again that he is a useless twat of a filmmaker, if even the term should be so disgraced as to be applied to him. If this were an even remotely fair world, this fuck-suck would get hit by a bus.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

I suggest you read Roger Ebert's review of Gerry if you haven't already, SoNowThen.  It gives a lot of insight into why Van Sant is doing these crazy things.  You may not agree, but at least it helps a bit.

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinVan Sant Doing Another Psycho Remake?

Moviehole spoke to writer/director Gus Van Sant about his new film Gerry, starring Casey Affleck and Matt Damon, and the subject of yet another Psycho film came up.

While talking to Moviehole about his new film "Gerry", Gus Van Sant revealed that he is in talks to do another version of "Psycho".

"I'm thinking of remaking "Psycho" again. Doing a third remake. The idea this time is to really change it – we're talking about doing a Punk rocker setting. Viggo Mortensen suggested it. He was married to Exene Cervenka and knows all the right people to get involved – all the right punk rocker etc – so he would definitely be involved if we go ahead.", he says.

Van Sant previously directed a Psycho remake in 1998, with Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche. He also mentioned that his project with John Travolta, Standing Room Only, may still see the light of day down the road.

Might be kinda cool to see Exene orchestrate something like this, though. No need for it to be Psycho, necessarily. I can easily picture van Sant doing the same sort of thing Jarman did with Jubilee, just a beautiful of-the-moment mess.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

_fps

The Vertigo remake will be on its way any time, I'm sure. With Ashton Kutcher and Reese Witherspoon. "I look up, I look...Dude! *falls off of stepping stool* Hollywood loves to do remakes of movies because they'll make it modern and the kids dig it.

Sleuth

I'm not saying I like all of these remakes and whatnot, but the plus side is that people won't soon forget some good film history
I like to hug dogs

joshua james clarke

Quote from: _fps
     Older television programs are providing numerous sources for remake material.  This trend has been going strongly the past five years and will continue for at least five more, I predict. It sells, and that's the bottom line.

It's such a shame for classic films like Psycho to have to be re-done. I'm sure the Director is a big fan of it and that's cool, but they should have enough respect for the Filmmakers to leave it alone and enjoy it the way it is.

not only does it sell, but the process involved with filming a remake is much more inexpensive. in most cases, the script essentials have already been written. i think certain shallow viewers of such trashy remakes feel that they are getting in touch with their youthful memories... getting reassured that their pasts (or what they feel influenced their pasts) are still a relevant part of them....uh....artificial nostalgia

i don't think that van sant is showing disrespect towards hitchcock, i feel, rather, that he is paying tribute to him. hitchcock's psycho will always remain as the original, and i don't think that any distortion will arise regarding who directed it.

that being said, i give van sant credit (if it's actually in the works) for having the guts to remake make PSYCHO twice in five years...and for conceivably casting exene cervenka
love glorious love

MacGuffin

Palm & Arthouse Acquire Guillotine Remake Rights
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Chris Blackwell's Palm Pictures and Arthouse Films have acquired remake rights to the 1975 classic martial arts picture Master of the Flying Guillotine.

The movie starred Jimmy Wang Yu as a one-armed boxer and martial arts expert who is targeted by a blind Shaolin master of the flying guillotine. The film concludes with a fight-to-the-death finale with martial arts experts from around the world showcasing their different styles and techniques.

The remake will be an update of the classic with a hip-hop soundtrack and an urban edge.

MacGuffin's Note: If you have not seen the original, check it out. The DVD is available. It's one of the best of the "Kung-Fu Theater"-type films. The Master of the title is a blind man who uses a hand-held guillotine to throw over people heads and rip them off. Great stuff. I shake my head at the hip-hop soundtrack. The music is already so fuckin' cool it would be such an evil shame to replace it.

More info here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Fox Searchlight To Remake The Fly
Source: Variety

Fox Searchlight has made a deal to remake The Fly, with feature newcomer Todd Lincoln writing the script and directing.

The studio began setting up meetings with Lincoln for The Fly as they watched their Danny Boyle-directed zombie film 28 Days Later become a summer sleeper hit.

Lincoln is an admirer of the 1958 original and David Cronenberg's 1986 redo and swears he won't fall into that fly-trap of regurgitating a well-worn plot. "I'm one of those comic book sci-fi fans who read the remake announcements and groan," he tells Variety. "This is certainly inspired by the original but it's a total re-imagining." What new things can we expect? "Why, in both films, did the fly never fly?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffin"This is certainly inspired by the original but it's a total re-imagining." What new things can we expect? "Why, in both films, did the fly never fly?"

:roll:

thedog

QuoteThis is BS. I don't think Affleck is dumb enough to star in this, unless he's pussy-struck. Lopez is dumb enough.

:yabbse-thumbup: Agreed!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget, Jon Demme is doing a Manchurain Candidate remake.

As it was said for a lot of other films here, there's no need to remake this movie. Why is an intelligent director like Jonathan Demme remaking a film that he can't make any better?

oakmanc234

Another 'FLY' movie? Whats the point? I wonder what they'll add new (other than a 'flying' fly). I bet they'll make the fly creature all CG and shit.....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Find Your Magali

Quote from: oakmanc234Another 'FLY' movie? Whats the point? I wonder what they'll add new (other than a 'flying' fly). I bet they'll make the fly creature all CG and shit.....

Well they did have CG flies in "Blood Simple"... (or was it animatronic flies?)  :wink:

MacGuffin

One of the old classics which defined a genre looks set to get updated and boy are the fans not happy about it. Creature Corner reports that sources inside Dimension Films have revealed the genre production house is "reportedly throwing in exorbitant amounts of money to bring series creator John Carpenter back into the fold...to remake the film that started it all". Yep, you heard right - a modern remake of "Halloween" along the same lines as the upcoming redux of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (if that is a success, expect this baby to pick up a lot of steam). They're apparently trying to get Carpenter to draft and direct a "Halloween" update rather than further the new stream of continuity built in H20 and carried on into "Halloween: Resurrection". All the original's classic characters would be re-introduced including Laurie Strode, Dr. Loomis and of course Michael Myers. Whether Carpenter will join the project has yet to be determined.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

Quote from: MacGuffinOne of the old classics which defined a genre looks set to get updated and boy are the fans not happy about it. Creature Corner reports that sources inside Dimension Films have revealed the genre production house is "reportedly throwing in exorbitant amounts of money to bring series creator John Carpenter back into the fold...to remake the film that started it all". Yep, you heard right - a modern remake of "Halloween" along the same lines as the upcoming redux of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (if that is a success, expect this baby to pick up a lot of steam). They're apparently trying to get Carpenter to draft and direct a "Halloween" update rather than further the new stream of continuity built in H20 and carried on into "Halloween: Resurrection". All the original's classic characters would be re-introduced including Laurie Strode, Dr. Loomis and of course Michael Myers. Whether Carpenter will join the project has yet to be determined.

i am probably one of the biggest horror fans on this site.  With that i am very bipolar about this news.  About 85% of me says that Halloween is the greatest slasher flick ever created and anyone who fucks with it and tries to remake it should also be slashed themselves.  Its like why redo something if theres nothing to improve on.  Part of the eeire charm of Halloween to this day is that it looks and feels like and 70s movie. You know?  I could see a remake trying to restylize it and sharpen visuals.  I would hope that a remake would still take place in 78 and not try to modernize it.  I can just see it.  A new looking mask would look akward in those  classic shots.  Why not re-release a special edition in theatres Alien style?

About 15%of me though for some reason says if they can pull it off and draw attention to the greatness of the original than what the hell, go for it.

I mean if they do this whats next huh? a remake of Friday the 13th?  Nightmare on Elm street?  How about a fucking CGI Chucky flipping around on screen.