Xixax Awards 2005

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2005, 09:24:23 PM

UncleJoey

Quote from: life_boyThus, the joke is set, given the right amount of subtlty to make it believable and the right amount of preposterousness to make it seem unsensible and therefore point it to the logical conclusion of being a joke.  Yet confusion remains.

Quote from: life_boyWhere's the love?

Indeed.

Perhaps Regularkarate and I didn't quite "get" your post because it was so incredibly lame and uninspired that it seemed more likely you were trying to provide a genuine argument than a joke.

You seem to spend far more time trying to criticize the way people post on this board than actually attempting to contribute anything meaningful yourself.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: life_boyThus, the joke is set, given the right amount of subtlty to make it believable and the right amount of preposterousness to make it seem unsensible and therefore

The word you're grasping for is "troll."

You were trolling- which is generally frowned on.

2LB
Body by Guinness

Jeremy Blackman

IMPORTANT RULES-RELATED ANNOUNCEMENT!

We're changing the rules by popular demand!

The change is simple. We're allowing write-ins for Best Film. So you can pick one of the nominations or you can write in your own.

And yes, if you already sent in your ballot, you can send a correction. If you choose to do this, please title your PM "correction"...

This rule change is completely limited to the Best Film category. Everything else is exactly the same.

meatball

Quote from: ono mo cuishleMeatball

Feel the love.

Sleepless

So what was the point of everyone else voting in the first place? If some people decided not to vote then they have no right to argue that the nominated films don't deserve it. The whole point of a democratic voting system - as I was under the impression this was - is that the results are fair. Why should the choices of those of us who bothered to vote in the first place now be scrapped because some people have realised that they should have contributed in the first place? It's absolutely rediculous. You should leave the nominees and voting as it was, period. Then, next year, you should maybe do the whole nominating later.

To now allow some individuals the opportunity to alter the original nominees once others among us have already started voting is unfair. As far as I can see all the voting up to this point has been fair, now you want to corrupt it by letting those whose choices didn't but is (and those who didn't nominate anyway) storm in and let them do whatever they want.

You've really turned this whole thing into a complete farce, proving that this award really are both pointless and worthless. Next time, get it right from the beginning, otherwise what's the point?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

oh, sniff sniff

Firstly, the write-ins only count towards the best film category.  The nominees are still nominated, there's just an option for write-in since people who voted didn't get a chance to see certain films until after the nominations.  

It has nothing to do with people who didn't vote.

You're really exagerating this waaaaaaaaaay too far... we haven't "turned this whole thing into a complete farce"... it's not like we're changing votes... we're allowing a write-in for one category.

We didn't wait until later to have the noms because the point is to get the noms out before the Oscar noms come in.

Kal

So are we supposed to vote already or we are waiting for something...?

cine

Quote from: andykSo are we supposed to vote already or we are waiting for something...?
page 8 is waiting for you..

life_boy

Quote from: SleeplessThe whole point of a democratic voting system - as I was under the impression this was - is that the results are fair.  

Write-ins are usually allowed in a democratic voting system.  It is the nature of democracy...it doesn't discredit it, necessarily.  But, to keep everything in perspective, this is a movie award ballot we're talking about here, not something of significant social or political weight.  It's supposed to be fun, after all.

Kal

Quote from: cinephile
Quote from: andykSo are we supposed to vote already or we are waiting for something...?
page 8 is waiting for you..

thanks... i saw that but i actually didnt understand if we should subit the write ins with the votes or the nominations again.

thanks

SoNowThen

What's the deadline on this bad boy? Life Aquatic comes here Feb 18...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinThe deadline is February 21.

MacGuffin

To remind everyone:

Quote from: MacGuffinIt's time to vote for the 2005 Xixax Awards! This is the final vote!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is February 21.

Any questions? Ask them here.

THE RULES:

you have to
1. vote privately: (note that these letter designations are different!)
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-E (or #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with F-M, send your ballot to Jeremy Blackman
. . . .If your username begins begins with N-R, send your ballot to RegularKarate
. . . .If your username begins begins with S-Z, send your ballot to cinephile
2. copy the form below and paste it into your PM
3. delete all titles except your vote, like an elimination process
4. title your PM "final awards" (please!)

you should
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion and not consensus

you can't
1. send more than one ballot
2. vote from different memberships or usernames
3. type out your ballot (you have to copy & paste!)
4. add anything to the ballot
5. change the order of the categories
6. share your votes publicly (yet)
7. change your ballot

you can
1. vote in some categories or all categories
2. vote any time between now and February 21

copy and paste, deleting all titles but your vote

BEST FILM
The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Sideways

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Gondry  - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Michael Mann - Collateral
Alexander Payne - Sideways
Martin Scorsese - The Aviator
Quentin Tarantino - Kill Bill Vol. 2

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Catalina Sandino Moreno - Maria Full of Grace
Natalie Portman - Closer
Hillary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
Jamie Foxx - Ray
Paul Giamatti - Sideways
Clive Owen - Closer

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Cate Blanchett - The Aviator
Kirsten Dunst - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Laura Linney - Kinsey
Virginia Madsen - Sideways
Darryl Hannah - Kill Bill Vol. 2

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
David Carradine - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Willem Dafoe - The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
Mark Ruffalo - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Peter Sarsgaard - Kinsey

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Aviator
Before Sunset
I Heart Huckabees
Sideways

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Aviator
Collateral
Hero
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
The Aviator
I Heart Huckabees
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zizou
Sideways

BEST EDITING
The Aviator
I Heart Huckabees
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

BEST SOUND
The Aviator
Collateral
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Spider-Man 2

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Aviator
The Day After Tomorrow
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Spider-Man 2

BEST DEBUT FILM
Garden State
Napoleon Dynamite
Shaun of the Dead
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Tarnation

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Control Room
Fahrenheit 9/11
Super Size Me
Tarnation
Touching the Void

BEST DVD RELEASE
John Cassavetes: Five Films (Criterion Collection)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Extended Edition)
Short Cuts (Criterion Collection)
Star Wars Trilogy

Now you can add Page 10 to that which is waiting for you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i just sent mine in, after rejiggering it about 5 times and almost having sent it in.  depending on the day my votes swing totally differently in some of those categories.  i was also trying to wait till i watched Ray and Motorcycle Diaries which i have sitting here.  then i remembered that motorcycle isnt nominated for anything anyways and i probably wouldnt have voted for foxx anyways because hes already getting an oscar, he doesnt need an xixaxie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.