The Arcade Fire

Started by Film Student, December 15, 2004, 12:47:13 PM

Ghostboy

Despite my attempts to be an honest connesiour of music, I couldn't resist when a friend gave Neon Bible to me today. It's really, really good. I've got to give it more time before I compare it to the last one, but so far I'm loving it.

tpfkabi

i broke Funeral back out with all the talk of the upcoming release.
i consider it an indie rock masterpiece except for a few seconds on the second track about 2 minutes in when the wife starts yelling along. i don't know why, it just sounds so out of place to me and bugs me.
i had forgotten just how many great lyrics were in there.....family tree/leaves, cancer, time is creeping through the neighborhood...
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

When Arcade Fire Say "No," Snow Patrol Says "Yes!"
Monday night marked the series premiere of NBC's great dramatic hope for a workable Studio 60 replacement, The Black Donnellys. Anybody watch? We didn't either. But Heroes, which was on right before it, is on fire.

And speaking of Fire (segue!), when the Donnellys pilot leaked a while back, it featured "Rebellion (Lies)" in the episode's closing sequence. We don't have all the facts (anyone?), but a probable licensing issue led NBC to replace the song with Snow Patrol's "Open Your Eyes." Now we may not have seen the aired version, but we're gonna go ahead and say this one came out better.

Arcade Fire Will Not Be Lured By Academy Award Winning HACK Directors
After writing about The Black Donnellys' mysterious soundtrack swap of Arcade Fire for Snow Patrol in the pilot's closing sequence, an insider wrote us with the scoop:

Ok so apparently Paul Haggis based part of the episode on that Arcade Fire song without getting permission first. Arcade Fire has a very strict anti-licensing policy -- I think they gave a song to an AIDS charity recently and they did the Six Feet Under thing but that is the only licensing they've ever done. I guess Haggis' people tried to license the Arcade Fire song for the show and the band kept saying NO. So Haggis actually flew to Montreal to try to convince the band to give him permission and they still said NO, NO, NO! As you can imagine, Haggis could not understand this especially since he had just won the Oscar for best picture, etc. etc. But Arcade Fire stuck to their guns, so good for them.

Gotta admire those principles. That's exactly what we'd do: Hold out for Grey's Anatomy! Can't you just see that meeting? Paul Haggis at one end of a long table, Oscar by his side, looking incredulously across the room. And at the other end of the table...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

That's awesome.

Meanwhile, in retrospect, I think Funeral is still the better album. But Neon Bible is good too.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Ghostboy on February 28, 2007, 09:19:43 PM
That's awesome.

Meanwhile, in retrospect, I think Funeral is still the better album. But Neon Bible is good too.

I still have to listen to Neon Bible again, but for now, I completely agree.
Si

tpfkabi

do not get sucked into buying the 'special' edition.
save the extra 4 or so bucks for something else.

SHAFTR

Quote from: bigideas on March 07, 2007, 10:56:25 AM
do not get sucked into buying the 'special' edition.
save the extra 4 or so bucks for something else.

Agreed, I paid $2 for 2 flipbooks.  Wow, I'd be amused if I was 8.

That withstanding, this album is better than spaghetti!
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Reinhold

tickets go on sale for the NYC shows 10am today
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

Shit.  I just blew all my disposable income this pay period on tickets to the Rock the Bells festival.

modage

just got some for Radio City since I'll be out of town for the other 2 shows (though I am going to see Modest Mouse there in a few weeks cause the venue looks awesome).  also got tickets to Ricky Gervais at Theatre @ MSG.  yep, this was a good morning.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

i caught them at the United Church last night. it was a great show, plus I got to go on stage during the encore.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Quote from: Reinhold on May 09, 2007, 05:30:20 PM
i caught them at the United Church last night. it was a great show, plus I got to go on stage during the encore.
that was a FUCKING GREAT SHOW.  probably one of the best i've ever seen.  i ended up getting tickets on ticketmaster, yesterday afternoon for 8th row center.  it was incredible.

tpfkabi

i was very surprised that they seemed to play more Funeral songs than Neon Bible songs on the Austin City Limits telecast. of course, i know they edit from a longer set to get the show. still, surprising.

modage

FANMADE VIDEO for My Body Is A Cage with the end of Once Upon A Time In The West

Stefen

That's probably my favorite song on the album. It's awesome.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.