has paul helped you with the ladies?

Started by cron, November 13, 2003, 01:43:55 PM

we all love the guy but  when life is not xixax.com or ptanderson.com , we have to face reality.  or not, but  personally i found it hard to mix my likes and dislikes with the people around me ,  im guessing (and hoping) that you all too. :twisted: .. here's a little piece of conversation i'm sure you've had at least once:

YOU :  so do you like movies?
x person: sure
you: what kind of movies'
x person: all kinds ,  scary movies.
you :  you know who paul thomas anderson is?
x person: paul who?
you: paul thomas anderson, pt anderson. PTA for short.
x person: never heard of him

(then the ever recurring phrase)
you: well...do you know fiona apple?
x person: i think so, yeah, she's kinda crazy.
you: he's her boyfriend.
x person: great
you: yeah, in fact, he has directed some of her videos.
x person: so listen... i gotta go, take care. bye!
you : uh, bye

aint that the truth...

if you answer this post, i'll tell you all a nice story.
context, context, context.

Banky

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
if you answer this post, i'll tell you all a nice story.

gsgsgsdfrsdtrwes tst gr4sw g4sw tgw est

Find Your Magali

A common response:

"Yeah, like, was that one with the frogs? Omigod, like, what was that all about? That movie was so strange. You like him?"

ok , the nice story goes like this:

like 5 months ago i  was about to leave mexico and my friends threw me a party and i met a girl in that party and we had the most indiferent chat (did you just said chat? )  and then i came to live on israel and i found out around 2 months ago  that i actually talked to her because she told a friend of mine that 'she thought i was cute'   :)
so eventually i tried to contact her and i started sending her e-mails and one day i found her  on MSN and started talking to her but she had to go.

and like 3 days ago, i found her again and we started talking about movies, and i dont remember why i brought up the subject of magnolia (i usually bring it when im drunk) and she said something like "but that movie is excelent!"  then she had to go....

which brings us to this....  im confused, should i think of marriage??

that's the most romantic thing....

aclockworkjj

SoNowThen

if she's cute, and she's got good movie taste

yep, propose... now!

And I as well have had many conversations that go along the lines of people saying Magnolia was "too long", "wasn't about anything", "confusing when the frogs fell". I usually give them a look somewhat like I may creep into their bedroom that night and slit their throat while they sleep, then I walk away. I am not that respecful of others' opinions...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

you're actually not gonna believe this , but here's an anecdote i heard from a friend of mine.

this father went to the movies with his daughter to see punch drunk love and after the movie was finished he went all pissed off to the box office and asked how the hell could they show crap like that, he asked for his money back because "it was responsibility of the theatre to present quailty works".

i remember going for the second time to watch it and i counted 7 persons in the room.   and that's me included.

Quote from: aclockworkjjresident evil rocks!!!

it's final :aclockworkjj hates me! :cry:  and it's sad because it's like audrey tatou hated me! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

SoNowThen

Quote from: chuckhimselfoyou're actually not gonna believe this , but here's an anecdote i heard from a friend of mine.

this father went to the movies with his daughter to see punch drunk love and after the movie was finished he went all pissed off to the box office and asked how the hell could they show crap like that, he asked for his money back because "it was responsibility of the theatre to present quailty works".

i remember going for the second time to watch it and i counted 7 persons in the room.   and that's me included.

that's kinda exactly what happened to me.

on my way in for my second viewing, some people from the previous show were demanding their money back. this one middle age lady advised that I not pay for that movie, because it was terrible and didn't make any sense. oh, she supposed that if you were a film school person you might like the camera and stuff, but any normal person would see how terrible it was.

I didn't really love PDL, so I couldn't freak out on her. But I tried to explain, and she started going on about "the same guy who did Magnolia", and how bad that movie was, and how she wished all movies were as great as American Beauty. I wanted her to die. But her friend (late 20's blonde) said she loved Magnolia. I think she was giving me the old eye. Maybe. I dunno. So I let the people walk away and went in to see PDL. As usual, some people walked out in the middle.

Ah, memories...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alexandro

maybe I'm just a lucky guy, but at this moment, I can't remember one person I can call my friend who didn't liked magnolia, or boogie nights...

...or punch drunk love

I mean those films are so easy to like and get and enjoy. I've ha dmor eproblems with more complicated and ambiguious (how the fuck do you spell this?) films like eyes wide shut, a.i. and gangs of new york for people to understand why those are good...

alex

aclockworkjj

Quote from: chuckhimselfoit's final :aclockworkjj hates me!
no...u KABOOM dude.

well  my story kind of pissed me off because pdl is my favorite movie. but the thing that lets me sleep at night is that  i KNOW that if paul was all mainstream i wouldnt like him as much as i do right now.    even if his movies were the same but sold well and were en bogue,  my introvert personality would deny me to praise that stuff, even if excelent. it's a very stupid and selfish way to put it but  i can't help it! it's one of the only things im sure of

Slick Shoes

I tried to get my old roommate to watch Magnolia for an entire year. He did, finally, and turned it off when it started raining. I was so pissed at him. How could he invest himself in the film for that long and turn it off at the very end. Now he goes around saying the movie wasn't any good and I'm like You didn't even finish it you dumb bastard!

But, yeah, you should marry the girl. In Vegas if possible.

Alexandro

and you know...in fact he had helpe dme with th eladies...

i saw magnoli aon the theatre iwith my ex girlfriend---she loved it

last year i was dating a girl...we saw magnolia once in my house...she was my girlfriend from december to june...

the girl i'm dating now likes magnolia too...

it's a fucking good movie...and all those girls are  cool persons...

"But, yeah, you should marry the girl. In Vegas if possible. "

I'll drink to that. cheers.