CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

Finn

I couldn't find a thread for this movie, so redirect me if you must. This looks really good, sort of Magnolia-esque. The posters and trailer look promising at least. It'll probably be either really good or really pretentious.

Posters:
http://www.impawards.com/2005/crash.html

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/crash/
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SHAFTR

It isn't that good, at all.  It is pretty much a straight Magnolia ripoff with no substance (although it tries to be important).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

I hated it. The writing is extremely clumsy and manipulative, which surprised me considering how impressed I was with his Million Dollar Baby screenplay. However, everyone at the screening all but sucked off Paul Haggis in the Q&A afterwards (one particular moron suggested he win the nobel peace prize for it), so I'm scared that this piece of trash will do better than it deserves.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

meatball

It seems very, very Magnolia-ish. Watching the trailer, I'm totally thrown off by the casting choices. Sandra Bullock is too recognizable for me to think of her of anything but Sandra Bullock. Same with Ludacris.

Isn't Crash the title of a James Spader film? How can they use the title again for this?

UncleJoey

Quote from: MeatballIt seems very, very Magnolia-ish. Watching the trailer, I'm totally thrown off by the casting choices. Sandra Bullock is too recognizable for me to think of her of anything but Sandra Bullock. Same with Ludacris.

Isn't Crash the title of a James Spader film? How can they use the title again for this?

You forgot the weirdest choice - Tony Danza, although he has a small part. Ludacris is actually decent in the movie.

And yeah, it's the same title as the Cronenberg film with Spader (which is much better).
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

MacGuffin

Release Date: May 6th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Sandra Bullock (Jean), Don Cheadle (Graham), Matt Dillon (Officer Ryan), Jennifer Esposito (Ria), William Fichtner (Flanagan), Brendan Fraser (Rick), Terrence Dashon Howard (Cameron), Ludacris (Anthony), Thandie Newton (Christine), Ryan Phillippe (Officer Hansen), Larenz Tate (Peter), Nona Gaye (Karen), Michael Pena (Daniel), Tony Danza (Fred), Keith David (Lt. Dixon), Eddie Fernandez (Officer Gomez), Billy Gallo (Officer Hill), Daniel Dae Kim (Park), Yomi Perry (Maria), Alexis Rhee (Kim Lee), Ashlyn Sanchez (Lara), Paul E. Short (Officer Stone), Marina Sirtis (Shereen), Kathleen York (Officer Johnson)

Director: Paul Haggis (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Paul Haggis (Oscar nominee for Million Dollar Baby) & Robert Moresco

Premise: A Brentwood housewife and her DA husband. A Persian store owner. Two police detectives who are also lovers. An African-American television director and his wife. A Mexican locksmith. Two car-jackers. A rookie cop. A middle-aged Korean couple. They all live in Los Angeles. And during the next 36 hours, they will all collide.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

this reeks of HD -- anyone know?
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cowboykurtisthis reeks of HD -- anyone know?

ill answer my own question - its suprisingly super 35 -- looks like shit if you ask me.

upon viewing the trailer again, I'm argueing that the tech specs on imdb are wrong - thats HD
...your excuses are your own...

Ravi

Terrible-looking film.  Levity came to my mind when I saw the trailer.

Ghostboy

I saw it last week - I hated it too. All the criticism that Million Dollar Baby received, and that I uderstood but didn't necessarily agree with, is amplified ten fold here. It's all about white man's piety. Blechh.

Also, it's definitely film. Really grainy film.

Pubrick

the trailer is like a collection of the most embarrassing lines a person could write. and the text "when ur moving at the speed of life".. jesus christ. well at least u know what to expect going into this..

Quote from: cowboykurtisthis is garbage
under the paving stones.

w/o horse

I'm glad I came here and read this thread before I went and saw the movie.

Sounds like a 13 Conversations About One Thing.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ghostboy

Quote from: AwkwardAsIAm

Sounds like a 13 Conversations About One Thing.

Yes! That's exactly what it's like.

I'm fairly astounded at the number of glowing reviews it's received. Ebert's was to be expected, but everyone else loves it too, it seems...

Ravi

80% positive reviews on the Tomatometer.

Everyone seems to be fawning over this film.  Lines from the trailer like "when we are moving at the speed of life we are bound to collide with each other" make this seem preachy and trite.  Makes me want to watch Magnolia again, though.

atticus jones

Quote from: Ravi

...seems preachy and trite.  Makes me want to watch Magnolia again

a preachy/trite movie always creates an appetite for a peachy/tyte one...

movies that preach are some of my favorites...slippery sermons slide down easier than other dis course

the "moving at the speed of life" line is actually more creative than 99% of what i find here...i will definitely go see this...to cum pear and con trast at least...

aj to his hs hos...put up or shut up...

understimulated and underwhelmed...over and out
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose