Tony Kaye

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 10, 2004, 11:12:49 PM

Myxo

Quote from: SoNowThenI never said he was neither an asshole nor a moron. He seems like both.

But he has a right to be pissed that he couldn't get the support he felt he needed to get his vision on the screen.

I totally agree.

I don't know all of the inside information into PTA's "Hard Eight", but I know he had control issues with the studio as well. I wish there was a similar article online that described how he managed to get his vision to the screen. I wonder if he compromised on anything.

SoNowThen

Listen to the Hard Eight commentary. He talks about basically running off with the film and re-cutting it, getting money from Paltrow, sending his version to Cannes and having it accepted. Then he still had to give in a few things, among them the title, and some opening credits.

edit - hmmm, now I can't remember, is that all in the commentary, or is that culled from all the articles...???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Just because somebody has a vision doesn't mean they deserve control. You're missing one REALLY IMPORTANT fact about movies: THEY COST A LOT OF MONEY TO MAKE! It's not like painting or writing. Movies require investors, and if they don't like what they see, they're going to exercise their privelage. You don't fly off unnanounced to meet your spiritual advisor, while you're supposed to be cutting. But in this case, I'm not sure recutting would've helped.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

All I'm saying, is that in a case of filmmaker vs everybody else, I'm gonna give the filmmaker the benefit of the doubt. If you don't like the job I do, you shouldn't have hired me and put money on me in the first place. Let the artists do their job.

The only way I can try to make a go at this business is to maintain this idealistic hope.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

socketlevel

what about when you're acting like a crazy person?  should the studio just let this guy get away with this?

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Myxo

Quote from: socketlevelwhat about when you're acting like a crazy person?  should the studio just let this guy get away with this?

-sl-

I'd call this a lack of good judgement on the studio's part.

:wink:

socketlevel

what like waterworld?  200 million for that.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

I subscribe to this newsletter done by this guy named John English. He's just an everyday bloke who kind of compiles news and reviews and other tidbits into a newsletter a couple times a week and it's quite informative, and he adds a sense of humor that I enjoy. I've been reading it for years. Subscribe to it, it's good stuff. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jerms

But anyways. The other day he had a tidbit that said...

Quote- Tony Kaye (American History X), the director who once hired a private
investigator to find me, will next direct Reaper, a neo-noir thriller. (CS)

Then in the next issue a couple days later, I guess someone asked about that tidbit and he responded with....

QuoteTONY KAYE - Yes I was serious.  Back when American History X came out,
Entertainment Weekly had an interview with him and I wrote a letter saying
I was excited to see American History X (which made my top ten list for
1997) but that Kaye sounded like a nutball.  Something to that
effect.  They printed it.  A few weeks later someone asked me if I was the
John English that Kaye was talking about in an interview he gave, and they
sent me the link to Mean Magazine.  In the interview, the interviewer
brought up Entertainment Weekly's article on him and mentioned my
letter.  He said he'd hired a private investigator to see if I really wrote
that or if it was a plant by EW.  I called the editor of Mean Magazine and
assured him I was real and he didn't need a PI to discover this.  It made
me a bit nervous; if there was one director I didn't want hunting me down,
it was Tony Kaye.

haha, so Tony Kaye is quite nuts it seems.

Anyways, he's got a new project called Reaper it seems.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

haha, the stories just keep comin, he's like the bill brasky of crazy directors.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

QuoteTONY KAYE - Yes I was serious.  Back when American History X came out,
Entertainment Weekly had an interview with him and I wrote a letter saying
I was excited to see American History X (which made my top ten list for
1997) but that Kaye sounded like a nutball.  Something to that
effect.  They printed it.  A few weeks later someone asked me if I was the
John English that Kaye was talking about in an interview he gave, and they
sent me the link to Mean Magazine.  In the interview, the interviewer
brought up Entertainment Weekly's article on him and mentioned my
letter.  He said he'd hired a private investigator to see if I really wrote
that or if it was a plant by EW.  I called the editor of Mean Magazine and
assured him I was real and he didn't need a PI to discover this.  It made
me a bit nervous; if there was one director I didn't want hunting me down,
it was Tony Kaye.

"I'm gonna get you, John English.  You and your whole stinkin' family."

72teeth

looking at this picture and your avatar simultaineously make me fill awful. like i'm being belittled. please stop belittling me.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ravi

Actually, that picture isn't fulfilling its potential on this board.

SiliasRuby

his picture really scares me.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

cowboykurtis

KAYE TO FILM IN NEW ORLEANS    

AMERICAN HISTORY X director TONY KAYE has switched the location of his upcoming movie to New Orleans in a bid to help the devastated city find its feet again.

The British film-maker had originally planned to shoot PARANOIA in Brazil, but in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which has left much of the Louisiana city flooded, Kaye decided to bring his production to New Orleans early next year (06).

Producer MICHEL SHANE tells PageSix.com, "We were going to shoot it in Brazil, but we wanted to bring the project to New Orleans to do our little bit."
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

'Reaper' Kaye's ticket out of 'Hollywood Jail'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Tony Kaye, the director who fought public battles with New Line Cinema and Edward Norton over the final cut of "American History X" in 1998, is about to embark on the supernatural thriller "Reaper," his first feature since "History," for producers Media 8 Entertainment. "My intention is to redefine the genre," said Kaye, who is at the American Film Market promoting the project about a tortured man on his deathbed who is visited by the title character, a "messenger of death," who offers a chance at eternal life and time to find the man's kidnapped daughter. "The film will be shot as two journeys," Kaye said, with the lead character's path shot on HD video and the title character's shot on film. The "trapped souls" in the film's dark netherworld will be portrayed in black and white with a multilayered soundscape.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks