Grind House

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

But the trailers for his movies have thus far promised a much better movie than he delivers.  Let's hope this interview doesn't promise a better trailer than the one we'll get.

Quote from: modage on February 25, 2007, 04:55:20 PM
At this weekend's New York Comic Con Eli Roth talked about his mock trailer for the upcoming Quentin Tarantino-Robert Rodriguez horror anthology Grindhouse, his tribute to those great (and we use that adjective loosely) '80s slasher films based on holiday themes. Roth told us how that came about. "Quentin comes to me and he's like [at this point Roth goes into an impressive Tarantino impression] 'We're going to do this f*ckin' thing! It's going to be like so cool, right? It's going to be like Grindhouse and we're going to have fake fuckin' trailers! You gotta do one, cause Robert already shot his! Dude, check out the f*ckin' lobby cards!' It's like they talked about it, but Robert literally went and shot his while they were on the phone…and then he did f*ckin' lobby cards! This guy is unbelievable, like how did he do this? Then the lobby cards are what got everyone talking, they were so funny, and I was like, 'I gotta do one of these things.' There's this slasher movie my friend Jeff and I've been dreaming about, cause growing up in Massachusetts, Thanksgiving is the biggest f*ckin' deal, it's ALL you hear about.

Someone fell asleep at the Shift-8 keys.

MacGuffin

The Soundtrack for Tarantino's "Death Proof"
Source:ComingSoon

Maverick Records will release the soundtrack to "Death Proof" - Quentin Tarantino's half of the new exploitation movie double feature Grindhouse - on April 3rd, three days before the two films hit theaters on April 6th. The second film, "Planet Terror," was directed by Robert Rodriguez. In between the two features, trailers advertising fake films, directed by Eli Roth and Rob Zombie, among others, will be shown.

"Death Proof" follows Austin's hottest DJ, Jungle Julia (Sydney Tamiia Poitier) as she sets out into the night to unwind with her two friends Shanna (Jordan Ladd) and Arlene (Vanessa Ferlito). Covertly tracking their moves is Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell), a scarred rebel leering from behind the wheel of his muscle car, revving just feet away.

The soundtrack includes classic songs from the '60s and '70s, such as "Jeepster" from British glam rock band T Rex, "Staggolee" from San Francisco blues band Pacific Gas & Electric, "Down In Mexico" from doo-wop legends The Coasters, and "Good Love, Bad Love" by Stax R&B legend Eddie Floyd. It also features a haunting composition, entitled "Paranoia Prima," from legendary Italian film score composer Ennio Morricone. The songs are interspersed with dialogue voiced by the actors including Russell, Rose McGowan, Eli Roth, and Michael Bacall.

The music perfectly captures the feel of the exploitation films that became popular in American cinema in the late '60s and '70s. With their explicit sex and excessive violence and gore, the films were mainly shown in inner-city theaters, called "grindhouses," usually as back-to-back double features. "I grew up watching those type of movies and I loved them," Tarantino said. "The whole grindhouse experience, where you would see two horror films in these low ghetto theaters. Robert and I had the idea to actually do this film that is closer to a grindhouse ride and recreates the experience in one movie and in the best possible version ever presented."

The track-listing for the soundtrack to Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof" is as follows:

"The Last Race" — Jack Nitzsche
"Baby, It's You" — Smith
"Paranoia Prima" — Ennio Morricone
"Planning & Scheming" — Eli Roth & Michael Bacall
"Jeepster" — T Rex
"Stuntman Mike" — Rose McGowan & Kurt Russell
"Staggolee" — Pacific Gas & Electric
"The Love You Save (May Be Your Own)" — Joe Tex
"Good Love, Bad Love" — Eddie Floyd
"Down In Mexico" — The Coasters
"Hold Tight" - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
"Sally and Jack (From the Motion Picture Blow Out)" — Pino Donaggio
"It's So Easy" — Willy DeVille
"Whatever-However" — Tracie Thoms & Zoe Bell
"Riot In Thunder Alley" — Eddie Beram
"Chick Habit" — April March
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

seeing the track-listing of the soundtrack before the movie is kind of a spoiler.

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 27, 2007, 10:54:29 PMThe songs are interspersed with dialogue voiced by the actors including Russell, Rose McGowan, Eli Roth, and Michael Bacall.

i hate when soundtracks do this.

MacGuffin

SXSW: Grindhouse 101
Source: Cinema Blend 

This morning South By South West went blood crazy and gave itself over to the grindhouse, when Robert Rodriguez showed up to teach class in Grindhouse 101. Except as he told us at the outset, he really doesn't know a lot about grindhouse cinema. Unlike Tarantino, Robert had a normal childhood filled with movies like Gone With The Wind rather than freakish blacksploitation movies packed full of gloriously cheap T&A. To fill in the gaps, he had AICN founder Harry Knowles wheeled out on stage with him. But truthfully, Robert didn't need him.

Maybe when he started out making Planet Terror (his half of the upcoming Tarantino/Rodriguez double-feature Grindhouse) he was something of a newbie. But he's since become an expert, after being totally immersed in the cheesy, unrated world of classic crap cinema. And he's obviously having a lot of fun.

Grindhouse 101 kicked off with a brief discussion of what grindhouse cinema is, but it wasn't long before Robert threw us right into the middle of it with a group of back to back to back trailers for classic examples. It's not for the faint of heart.

First up was The Green Slime. Watch it:

Next up, blacksploitation grindhouse with... um... Boss Nigger:

Then the shocking, horrifying trailer for They Call Her One Eye:

You get the idea. So what is grindhouse? Rodriguez says that while filming Planet Terror, it came to represent freedom. Freedom to shoot whatever, whenever. Freedom to pack as many ideas in as possible, and damn the consequences. Freedom to put as much screwed up nudity, violence, gore and sex into his film as he wants without worrying about the MPAA. If they don't like something, he'll just remove it and add in a splice and call it atmosphere.

Atmosphere is really what Grindhouse is going to be all about. Rodriguez and Tarantino are brining grindhouse cinema back from the grave, complete with missing movie reels, grainy footage, and the kind of insanity you could only see before the ratings system. And they're not stopping with simply making a grindhouse movie of their own, they're taking that extra step and encouraging other filmmakers to get in on the fun.

At least that's my explanation for their Grindhouse cinema trailer contest. Rodriguez has been taking specially made Grindhouse-style trailer submissions from hopeful filmmakers for months, with the intention of picking the best trailers to debut during Grindhouse 101 at SXSW. Hobo with a Shotgun took top prize, but the three best were shown. Here they are. Cover your kids' eyes and hang on to your butts:

Hobo with a Shotgun

Maiden of Death

The Dead Won't Die

All three of them are so cool, you can't help but wish they'd actually get made into movies. Which brings us to the Q&A.

Grindhouse 101 Q&A With Robert Rodriguez

I'll skip some of the weirder questions Robert got about the best ways to shoot cocks, and get right to the meat of the thing. With no easy way to record it, you'll have to settle for me simply hitting the highlights.

As long as you've got grindhouse trailers on the brain, someone in the audience had the sense to ask Robert whether he'd be interested in helping Hobo with a Shotgun get made. Come on Robert, start a whole grindhouse label! Robert's answer was non-committal, but seriously man, consider it. I'm dying to see the rest of Maiden of Death.

But the big scoop of the day came when Robert revealed that he's planning a solo movie for actor Danny Trejo's Machete character. If you've seen any of the kickass trailers for Grindhouse, then you've seen Trejo as Machete, a bad ass dude with, well, two machetes. Robert's answer was, surprisingly, absolutely. He is doing a Machete spin-off movie, and it's likely going to be direct to DVD. Rodriguez seemed pretty adamant about this, as if the film is already a done deal.

Of course one of the questions Robert almost always gets asked whenever he's locked in a room with a bunch of movie geeks is whether or not he'll ever do sequels to Once Upon a Time in Mexico He says, it's not out of the question. It's still something he wants to do. His plan was originally to make it the first of a trilogy of movies following Johnny Depp's blind gunman character. Apparently he even cut fake trailers for sequels using footage from the first movie and showed it to Johnny Depp. Rodriguez says Depp was all in.

Eventually, the talk turned to the future of film, and where Rodriguez saw himself as part of the whole 3-D movement. Robert's response was, pretty simply, that he started it. He takes credit for resurrecting 3-D and bringing it back to theaters with Spy Kids 3D and Sharkboy and Lava Girl, and he says Hollywood is all over him to do more of it. Though Planet Terror isn't in 3-D, expect many of his future movies to be completely 3-D productions. James Cameron has competition.

Planet Terror Footage

Amidst all this talk of grindhouse cinema in general, Rodriguez managed to fit in footage from his grindhouse movie Planet Terror. He says the movie isn't finished, apparently they're still in sound mixing, but what he showed us was beyond awesome.

First he showed us a scene you're likely to see in theaters when the movie hits. It's a freakin kickass road-warrior zombie-fighting scene in which all of his heroes band together and ride down the road in a convoy, blasting zombies and mowing them down with their big truck from hell. Apparently this takes place shortly after Planet Terror's simulated missing reel. See, Robert is really set on simulating the whole grindhouse experience, screwups and all. The film has been written as if an entire reel is missing. One moment everyone hates each other, the next there's a jump and everyone has become friends, losers are suddenly awesome heroes, and the attacking zombies are about to be very dead. As Robert says, the section of a movie where everyone gears up to start kicking ass is boring. So he's giving you the setup and then going straight to the payoff, skipping all the boring junk in between.

The second bit of Grindhouse footage we got a look at it is something you may never ever see. Frankly, there's little chance it'll get past the MPAA, not if they want a Rated-R. The footage is a fake movie trailer directed by Eli Roth, intended to run right before the actual movie begins. Eli tackles the one holiday never done up right by horror: Thanksgiving. Eli Roth's Thanksgiving involves an ax wielding pilgrim who runs around town separating thankful Americans from their bodies. It's also stuffed with all kinds of really sick sex and nudity. The whole thing peaks when a trampolining naked woman does the splits, and uh... well... comes down on a very large knife. Ouch. Yeah, no way the MPAA is letting any of this past. Wait for the DVD.

With that, class was out. That's it from the SXSW Grindhouse. Check back on CB late tonight for my coverage of... whatever it is I manage to see the rest of the day. Frankly, right now all I can think of is lunch.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

that was the worst one yet.

Pozer

i have no idea why, but that one actually makes me want to see it more than ever.  this is one to see with my a$$hole friends nonetheless.

and still, f grind house.

Gold Trumpet

Hell, I'm finding out Bruce Willis is in this with that trailer. Sign me up as now optimistic.

grand theft sparrow

Too bad they had to ruin that cameo in order to get more people to see it.  He's not even listed in imdb for this.  They put him in 2 frames of one of the other trailers but the "Holy shit, it's Bruce Willis!" should have been saved for the movie.

RegularKarate

They just announced that this is showing next week here.  I get my tickets at noon tomorrow.

SiliasRuby

RK, where is 'here' for you? I'm in LA.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

RegularKarate

Yeah... sorry, I should have been more specific.  I live in Austin.

I just got my tickets this afternoon.  There were only about fifteen or twenty people ahead of me..  no internet sales, limited to Austin Film Society member, two tickets per person and yet somehow, there were only balcony seats left.

Oh well, I'll be seeing this next week... from the balcony.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 20, 2007, 03:37:44 PM
Oh well, I'll be seeing this next week...
i will look forward to you dashing my hopes at that time.  until next week, then!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Man...I just got that AFS e-mail. I'll be back in Texas next week, but I guess there's no hope of getting into this.