Moonrise Kingdom

Started by MacGuffin, September 29, 2010, 02:30:12 PM

RegularKarate

I like this trailer and I think it's funny that you can't tell it's a period piece because it's Wes Anderson so it always kinda looks like that.

SiliasRuby

I wholeheartedly agree RK. I'm still looking forward to it though.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

This looks awesome.
Could it be a new generation's Goonies, or will it be too 'arthouse' for the general population?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

for all the silence on this board about this film, I'm really glad we could agree that our first impressions of this are pretty good ones

Neil

I'm probably an idiot for even saying this, but I've noticed some similarities between this and Pierrot le Fou.  Two kids on the run.  The boy writes letters the girl in blue and she writes to him in red.  The record player on the beach.  Birds correlating with the story line. Separation of the 4th wall *gasp*
I don't know. I felt I had a lot more to say about both, until I started typing.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Wes Anderson's 'Moonrise Kingdom' To Open Cannes
Source: indiewire

Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" will open the 65th Cannes Film Festival. The festival announced today that Anderson's latest will kick things off on May 16th at the Grand théâtre Lumière of the Palais des Festivals.

"Kingdom" comes with an impressive cast to fill the Palais' red carpet, including Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and Jason Schwartzman.

"Wes Anderson is one of the rising powers of American cinema, to which he brings a highly personal touch, particularly in 'Moonrise Kingdom,' which once again is a testimony to the creative freedom in which he continues to evolve," Thierry Frémaux, the Festival's General Delegate, commented. "Sensitive and independent, this admirer of Fellini and Renoir is also in his own right a brilliant and inventive filmmaker."

The film is one of the 30 films Indiewire hoped for on our annual Cannes wish list.

It marks the first time Anderson has screened a film at the festival, and the seventh consecutive English language film to do so, following Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" last year, and Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood," Pete Docter's "Up," Fernando Meirelles's "Blindness," Wong Kar Wai's "My Blueberry Nights" and Ron Howard's "The Da Vinci Code" before that.

Nanni Moretti will preside over the jury of the festival, which runs May 16-27.

Full press release below.

MOONRISE KINGDOM by Wes Anderson is the opening film of the 65th Festival de Cannes and in all the cinemas in France

MOONRISE KINGDOM, the new film by American Wes Anderson, will open the 65th Festival de Cannes on Wednesday, 16 May in the Grand théâtre Lumière of the Palais des Festivals, with the Jury presided over by Italian filmmaker Nanni Moretti in attendance.

Produced by Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Steven Rales and Jeremy Dawson for Focus Features and Indian Paintbrush, MOONRISE KINGDOM includes in its cast Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and Jason Schwartzman as well as Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman playing the pre-adolescents.

It is directed by Wes Anderson, who also co-authored the screenplay with Roman Coppola. The sound track was composed by Alexandre Desplat.

MOONRISE KINGDOM was filmed on an island in New England. It recounts a tormented and surprising story of children and adults during the stormy days of the summer of 1965.

Born in 1969, Wes Anderson is the director of Bottle Rocket (1996), Rushmore (1998), The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004), The Darjeeling Limited (2007), and Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009).

Thierry Frémaux, the Festival's General Delegate, commented: "Wes Anderson is one of the rising powers of American cinema, to which he brings a highly personal touch, particularly in MOONRISE KINGDOM, which once again is a testimony to the creative freedom in which he continues to evolve. Sensitive and independent, this admirer of Fellini and Renoir is also in his own right a brilliant and inventive filmmaker."

Gilles Jacob, President of the Festival, is glad to proclaim: "With Wes Anderson opening the 65th Festival de Cannes, young American cinema will be celebrated on the Croisette."

Distributed in France by Studio Canal, the film will be released in cinemas on 16 May, the same day as its screening in Cannes. For the second consecutive year, with the agreement of its partner Canal+ and the support of the Fédération Nationale des Cinémas Français, the Festival de Cannes will make the Opening Ceremony available to all the cinemas that request it, so that spectators can experience "live" the full programme of the opening night of the Festival.

In the USA, the film will be released on 25 May.

The official selection (Competition, Un Certain regard, Out of Competition) will be announced on Thursday, 19 April. The 65th Festival de Cannes will run from Wednesday 16 May to Sunday 27 May 2012.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I am Schmi

Sweet, May. Awesome poster too, can't wait.

MacGuffin

Wes Anderson and Edward Norton talk 'Moonrise Kingdom'
By Rob Brunner, EW

There's no other way to put it: Wes Anderson's latest film, Moonrise Kingdom, is extremely Wes Anderson-y: quirky, warm-hearted, and visually stunning. Starring newcomers Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, the movie is about a couple of pre-teen runaways who are pursued by a scout master (Edward Norton), a local police officer (Bruce Willis), and the girl's parents (Bill Murray and Frances McDormand). We recently talked to Anderson and Norton about the film.

What's it about?
"It's a romance between a 12-year-old boy and girl set in 1965 on an island off the coast of new England," says Anderson. "The inspiration was my memory of what it's like to fall in love when you're that age (or at least what you think is love at the time), and how overwhelming it is. It just sort of blindsides you. When you read a book when you're that age you can get so invested in that that the book can become your whole world. That relates to the movie also. The movie is partly about how children at that age have this overpowering need for fantasy."

What inspired it?
"There's two movies that I really love that were both kind of huge inspirations for Moonrise Kingdom," says Anderson. "One is a movie called Black Jack that's directed by Ken Loach. The other one is another British movie that's the first thing Alan Parker ever did. He wrote the script. It's called Melody. They're both movies that I only found as I worked on this story. I was looking for movies that are about pre-teenage romance. And there's a Truffaut movie Small Change. That's really one of the inspirations for this movie, because it's what made me start thinking about doing this sort of story."

What's it like making a Wes Anderson movie?
"Actually, my character in the film is not dissimilar from the way Wes directs a film," says Norton, who plays an earnest, let's-do-it! optimist of a troop leader. "[My character] doesn't have a shred of cynicism about him. He's a real believer. It was probably the easiest gig I ever had, because all I had to do was turn to Wes and say, 'How would you say this line?' Then I would just imitate it. He's a great person to work for and with. He's really a lot of fun."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

Sad to report, not the return to form I was hoping for. Prob my least favorite of his live action films. It's not terrible but he has really ossified himself.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Even worse than Darjeeling?
under the paving stones.

modage

Coin flip, maybe? I think I liked certain things in Darjeeling better than I liked most things in this.

Rushmore > Royal Tenenbaums > Bottle Rocket > The Life Aquatic/The Darjeeling Limited > Moonrise Kingdom > The Fantastic Mr. Fox