Barton Fink

Started by ono, January 15, 2004, 04:34:53 PM

ono

Spoilers possible.

Notwithstanding the thread drawing comparisons between Barton Fink and Ross Geller (ugh), I don't see a thread for this movie.  Damn shame, too.  I just saw it this afternoon.  Quite an interesting, fascinating flick.  One of the Coen's best, IMO.  What really made the film for me was the great friendship between Barton and Charlie.  But all throughout the film, I had an inkling that something wasn't quite right with Goodman's character.  When I finally learned that I was right, I was disappointed, because I liked him a lot.  It's a good thing, though, because it showed that the Coen's reeled me in with their great characters, as they are capable of doing.

Goodman is great as always, and Turturro proves his range (as later expanded on in The Big Lebowski), and that he can make it as a leading man.  I don't know what to make of the ending.  It leaves the film with little point, and is a little bit too ponderous for the off-beat tones that came and went as well.  At least I don't need to ask what's in the box.  ***½ (8/10)

picolas

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI don't know what to make of the ending.
this will make it the opposite + 7.

ono

"opposite + 7?"

Either way, very interesting.  Reminds me of the silly twist on Ozon's Swimming Pool.  I can see some evidence pointing to this, such as the picture of the woman on the beach, and the fact that Charlie goes back into his room while the hotel is burning.  Also, I just remembered that when Fink is reading the Bible, the words are changed to that of the opening of his screenplay.  This is a key element of dreams, indicating that the dream theory could be very possible.

picolas

Quote from: Onomatopoeia"opposite + 7?"
you will know what to make of the ending, along with seven other superfluous.. things.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Onomatopoeia At least I don't need to ask what's in the box.

......be nice.... :idea:

ono

Weak2ndAct

Wow.  Read the IMDB 'Fink' discussion, re-watched the movie, re-read the discussion.  I really took this film quite literally in previous viewings... Man, I feel dumb.

kotte

Quote from: Weak2ndActWow.  Read the IMDB 'Fink' discussion, re-watched the movie, re-read the discussion.  I really took this film quite literally in previous viewings... Man, I feel dumb.

What do you mean with 'literally'?

I've seen it maybe 4 times and I don't read into it at all. It's about a guy who suffers from writers block.

You can read things like this into every movie made.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: kotteWhat do you mean with 'literally'?
'Literally' in the sense that I always accepted what happens in the 2nd half was the reality of the movie.  There's a strong case to be made that once the camera goes down the drain, we're in a nightmare, and that a number of scenes (if not all) didn't actually happen.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: kotteWhat do you mean with 'literally'?
'Literally' in the sense that I always accepted what happens in the 2nd half was the reality of the movie.  There's a strong case to be made that once the camera goes down the drain, we're in a nightmare, and that a number of scenes (if not all) didn't actually happen.

I always thought it happened, but that the film just took a surreal, metaphorical turn. I think its better assuming it actually happens, there's more to read into that way.
WWPTAD?

fulty

Quote from: Weak2ndAct... Man, I feel dumb.
Ditto.

Thank you, Picolas, for the link.
Now I can go after the Coen Brothers until PTA makes Magnolia II.

I thought that the camera shot "going down the drain" meant that Barton had commited himself to hell.  Before, he was just there, maybe didn't deserve it.  But now he's really done something condemnable.  You know, by having sex with the other guys girl.  The bird going into the ocean at the end had the same feel.  Going down.

What was the wave breaking on the rock ( twice? ) supposed to represent?
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: fultyWhat was the wave breaking on the rock ( twice? ) supposed to represent?
In a class, a teacher once said it was symbolic of the clash of Barton and Los Angeles meeting.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: fultyWhat was the wave breaking on the rock ( twice? ) supposed to represent?
In a class, a teacher once said it was symbolic of the clash of Barton and Los Angeles meeting.

I'm guessing Marian Keane would say that it's obviously a phallic symbol...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

fulty

Quote from: SoNowThen...it's obviously a phallic symbol...
Yes..!!
So am I a perv if I can see it too?

I took this as a joke, but while discussing this with my daughter, she pointed out that the Coen Brothers like to empower women.

So, maybe it does fit.

With the wave ( female ) splashing over the rock ( ahem ),
this could represent the power Audrey & the picture girl had over Barton and the has-been author.

I don't know, maybe..??
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

SmellyBoobFungus

does anyone have any ideas of what motivated him to write such a great sceenplay or what it was about?
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected