Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2008, 06:11:43 PM

Pas

GUYS this rules!!! I am currently. Watching for the first time I am in awe! Film of the year right there. Sorry more review later am on iPhone righy now

edit: ok back home now... so few comments for this I can't believe it!! Nic Cage is bringing is A-game, Herzog has some weird shit moments scaterred around that make also help propulse this one beyond the standard 'cop movie' thing.

I read that in Cannes Herzog told reporters he had never seen the 'original' Bad Lieutenant... finding it hard to believe really, especially the scene where he fucks that girl instead of arresting her. Seems pretty similar to that classic scene of the original when Harvey Keitel tells the girls to pretend to suck him etc. Not only the theme but how it's used to show his depravation... maybe that was only in the script though come to think of it.

Anyway, awesome, awesome film. And great Nic Cage performance.

Pozer

wow. some people just HAVE to post here ALL THE TIME.

sorry Paz Lieutenant

Pas

:ponder: well that was out of left field ... especially with my 1.064 post per day average. Whatever.

edit: I forgot to tell you to fuck off, sorry

picolas

*minor spoils*
pas: it totally does rule. i don't get any of the negativity towards it. the part where the kid walks through the open window then just keeps staring at cage.. and then when cage tells the old woman she's what's wrong with everything.. fuck. just a great time at the theatre.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Herzog shouldve scored it with Black Flag or somthang.. This shit is punk rockxxxxxxxxersss lolzrsssss yall
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Pas

fuck yes. Also, I'm starting to believe Nic Cage=Klaus Kinski

1) They go over the edge without looking back
2) They star in classics AND shitty movies
3) At 58:00 of Bad Lieutenant, Nic Cage does the fucking Kinski twist of Aguirre!!!!!! I am so proud of myself for discovering that, I think it's the first time I notice some little thing like that.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Spoilers... Are you talking about the twist of the old lady's oxygen tank tube, which is so full of frustration and pretty much says "fuck you senile bitch, your old age doesn't excuse you from civil responsibilities." ?LOL
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

samsong

Quote from: Pas Rap on January 28, 2010, 07:44:43 PM
3) At 58:00 of Bad Lieutenant, Nic Cage does the fucking Kinski twist of Aguirre!!!!!! I am so proud of myself for discovering that, I think it's the first time I notice some little thing like that.

you didn't notice it in the first trailer?  

as far as herzog not seeing ferrara's film goes, i believe it.  the screenwriter however definitely saw it and, as several similarities between the two like the one you mentioned would suggest, was trying to write a full-on remake.  the stupidity of taking the original and turning it into a sterile procedural is an imperative to the film's success.

Quote from: picolas on January 28, 2010, 07:33:54 PM
*minor spoils*
the part where the kid walks through the open window then just keeps staring at cage.. and then when cage tells the old woman she's what's wrong with everything.. fuck. just a great time at the theatre.

spoils here as well
fucking loved those bits as well.  also his story about the sterling silver spoon and the pay-off towards the end of the film was hilarious to the point of giddiness.  the spurious climactic moment in which literally everything works out for the lieutenant coupled with the reprise of that hootin'-and-hollerin' song from the end of stroszek is one of the great movie moments of '09.

socketlevel

i just finished watching BL for a 3rd time and "where the wild things are" for the 2nd time, and shit BL still has great replay value whereas wild things was a snore.

VERY MINOR SPOILER * I went on at length about a certain moment that cracked me up (and a few other posters) previously. This time the moment he's waiting for the two older women made me laugh, and not how batshit crazy he gets but the fact he's just waiting behind the door.  lol like for how long exactly? not knowing is the best part.  the deal breaker was the electiric shaver.  almost implying he's been there a while and thought he'd kill two birds with one stone and shave.  such a nice touch. 

i'mma go out on a limb and say this will stand the test of time in a fun culty way, similar to lebowski or big trouble in little china.

i love this film.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gamblour.

Haha I did not even think about the electric razor. That's great. Unfortunately, I don't think this is sticky enough to last like Lebowski or Big Trouble, but maybe it'll just be that great fucking movie you show your friends who haven't heard of it.
WWPTAD?

socketlevel

true i'm fan boy gushing, only time will tell.

Stefen

How are you guys seeing this? Is there a good quality screener out there? All I can find is a crappy one that's basically unwatchable.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

i found a pretty decent one at btjunkie

this movie fucking rules.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

socketlevel

ya i found a 1.2 gigish one on isohunt. i've never seen people link torrents on this site so i don't wanna be the seal breaker. but if someone tells me it's copesettic then i'll direct you to it.

Stefen

I got the hook up but it's always fine to link torrents and post files here. It's such a small userbase.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.