top 5-10 favorite bands/solo artists right now

Started by Ernie, February 27, 2003, 10:23:44 AM

phil marlowe

Quote from: Sigur Róssee the connection?
the choices listed all have a number in them except for choice one, three, four and five. but then again that wouldnt be one hundred percent fair considering 'OP8' is just another way of spelling 'opiate'.

-dazza-

In no particular order:

Damien Rice
David Gray
Gemma Hayes
The Frames
The White Stripes
The Revs
U2
Cara Dillon
The Hothouse Flowers
Sigur Ros
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Streets
Colplay
Radiohead

Shit. That's way more than 10. Well, I can't narrow it down any further.
"Go home, Yank. 'Tis my field." - The late, great, Richard Harris.

Newbie Confusion Device:  CLICK HERE

Pedro

Dave Matthews Band (Love all his stuff except for the "everyday" album...great amazing live show too)
The White Stripes (Just great rock and roll)
Rufus Wainright (Hope he gets back to recording soon)
Fiona Apple (can't wait for her new album)
Elliott Smith (I listen to him all the time)
Jon Brion (I consider him an artist damn it)
Aimee Mann (Lost in Space is AMAZING)
Radiohead (Self-explanatory)
Steely Dan (Never has there been a bad album)
Crosby Stills and Nash {and young} (Their harmonies and guitar playing makes me jealous)
Joni Mitchell (Amazing poetry which the label of "lyrics" over some of the greatest songwriting I have ever heard..."Hejira" is a perfect example)
The Roots (Rap I actually enjoy)

Film Student

Sigur Ros
Radiohead
Elliott Smith
The White Stripes
Tool
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Sleuth

top 5 of all time would be way too hard so I'm going to do a current top 5 of bands with albums that have come out in the past year or so

the White Stripes
Opeth
Radiohead
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
the Mountain Goats
I like to hug dogs

polkablues

Quote from: Film StudentSigur Ros
Radiohead
Elliott Smith
The White Stripes
Tool

You know you rule.
My house, my rules, my coffee

European Son

Radiohead
Sigur Ros
White Stripes
Wilco
Tool
The Strokes

Sigur Rós

Jack Johnson
Queens of the Stoneage
Mogwai
Roots
Yo La Tengo

modage

MY CURRENT TOP 5 ARTISTS/BANDS MAKING MUSIC:
(in no particular order)...

wilco
beck
radiohead
the strokes
elliott smith

obviously an ALL TIME list would be much more difficult and include beatles, stones, elvis costello, etc.  but the five artists i am currently most excited about their works are the above.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

-The Auteurs/Black Box Recorder/Luke Haines

-The Smiths

-The White Stripes

-Pulp

-Yeah Yeah Yeahs

-The Geraldine Fibbers
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

The White Stripes-Roger Waters-Richard Ashcroft-Pearl Jam-Alice in Chains

meatwad

WHAT I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO RECENTLY:

-White Stripes "Elephant"- i thought they could not get any better then White Blood Cells. Proved me the fuck wrong. "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself" and "Keep Her in you Pocket" are favorites

-The Cure "Acoustic Hits"- This is the bonus disc on the greatest hits. It is ten times better then the normal hits disc.

-Tom Waits "Closing Time"- i get the feeling nobody listens to Tom anymore

-Sigur Ros "()"- amazing. It sucks you in. Just don't listen to it while you drive. Trust me. You will crash

-and misc. stuff from PJ Harvey, Primal Scream, Iggy Pop, Bowie, Icarus Line, Taking Back Sunday, Talking Heads, Joy Division, Velvet Underground, much more

//www.thestate22.com

Tiff

Quote from: MacGuffinHow do you ask for "()" at the record store?

Well, Mr. Guff, I think their target audience are not the lazy, skilless people that can't be bothered to look for the damn CD themselves, instead of pestering the HMVers that have other things to do, like monitoring the DVD section for all you DVD-theft schemers on the Xixax.com board.
"Shut the fuck up!"

sexterossa

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: P
are u related to sexterrossa? search engines are ur friend.

Low blow Pubrick.... low blow

in what sense?
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

sexterossa

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: Duck SauceSexterrossa was a member at the PTanderson board. I think what Pubrick was implying was that he is an older, wiser version of you, who had the tendency to ignore search functions, hence the relation question. It also might be in reference to posting a lot, something I got a lot of flack for too. Dont worry about it, we will let Pubrick sort this out though.

Oh, ok....well, it's not as bad as I thought.

I have been posting too much, haven't I? I don't think I've ever spent this much time on a message board. During the summer I'll post a lot less. Fuck, I have no fucking idea why I've been posting so fucking much and I didn't even notice it.

I really try not to be an asshole too, I realize I should have used a search engine. I wasn't trying to be cute or anything or piss Pubrick or anybody else off. I don't try to piss people off. I'm just not very good with the internet all the time. Did sexterrossa try to piss people off with questions? Cause I'm not one of those people I don't think.

has it been debated whether me and this guy are the same person yet?
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.