Jonathan Brandis is reported dead...

Started by Gamblour., November 19, 2003, 08:11:30 PM

Gamblour.

He was the star of Seaquest and the Neverending Story II, he was also in Ladybugs and more recently Hart's War. I found this kinda shocking, there was a blurb about it on Dark Horizons : http://www.darkhorizons.com/news03/031119g.php

So far, no details, just that he was found in his hotel room.
WWPTAD?

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Pubrick

i was just talking about brandis the other day.. i will always remember Seaquest DSV as the first place i saw those cool ergonomic keyboards, that are split in two.

that shit was so futuristic.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I remember him in that horrible Chuck Norris movie Sidekicks.

Gamblour.

Quote from: GhostboyI remember him in that horrible Chuck Norris movie Sidekicks.

The great thing about Chuck Norris movies is you never really have to put the word "horrible" in front of it...heh
WWPTAD?

TheVoiceOfNick

It's really strange that this news story isn't confirmed and isn't all over the net by now... he used to be as famous and popular as the New Kids on the Block, so it should be everywhere... but alas we only find this news on small indie sites, and none of them have any details... hrm...

xerxes

i saw it one the news... they said it was a suicide... man i used to love that talking dolphin

edison

Quote from: GhostboyI remember him in that horrible Chuck Norris movie Sidekicks.

I was at the world premier here in Houston, saw them all walk by to their theater while i went into a celebrity-less screening at the same time.

Weak2ndAct

If my claim to fame was being in 'Ladybugs,' I'd probably snuff it too.

modage

am i the only one who thinks brandis faked his own death to get the public clamoring for a Ladybugs 2 that could never be?  only to re-emerge months from now to become the biggest star on the planet?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02am i the only one who thinks brandis faked his own death to get the public clamoring for a Ladybugs 2 that could never be?  only to re-emerge months from now to become the biggest star on the planet?
yes.
under the paving stones.

godardian

I think I hurt someone's feelings over Jonathan Brandis.

This friend of mine who has an almost creepy fandom towards male teen idols such as Brandis sends me this grief-stricken e-mail about Brandis, saying "This is very sad."

I write him an e-mail back saying that I reserve no more grief for the death of actors/artists/royalty than I do for the children who die of starvation every day, and the people I know, and it's silly to get worked up over Jonathan Brandis. I wish Stanley Kubrick were still alive and making films, but I didn't know him as a person, so how can I feel anything really beyond the loss of his work? And when it comes to Brandis, there's not even really that.

I made sure to remind my friend that I would be really distraught if, say, HE were to die, or my partner, or my family, but Jonathan Brandis's death doesn't really affect me... neither did the death of Princess Di, to tell you the truth. Or even people I really love, like Billy Wilder and Stanley Kubrick and Jean Vigo. It just seems important to me to have perspective on this stuff and not get carried away, the way the media does.

Then he writes me back, saying "Remind me never to tell you my emotional responses to sad things." Then he tells me it's tragic because it was a suicide, of "hopelessness," etc, and I write him back telling him that suicide is usually a very selfish, narcissistic act, almost an act of passive-aggression, really. And on an on.

Am I completely heartless to not feel emptied out over the loss of a celebrity, and annoyed that someone could take something so trivial so personally? Am I morbid to believe that any of us could die, at any time, so that death is never really a surprise to me, whether the person's young or old? Am I selfish to care more about my own family and friends than about famous people I don't know or have any personal attachment to? Am I diminishing the famous American who died when I say they're no more important than the children who die by starvation and genocide all over the world, and if I don't cry for those children (which I don't, since it wouldn't help and I'd spend all my time crying), how in the hell can I cry for or be disturbed by the death of Jonathan Brandis?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Weak2ndAct

Godardian--
You're friend is insane.  And I agree with you.  

Times I feel bad for a 'celebrity' death: sudden and accidental, or out of nowhere.  And even then, I don't 'feel' bad.  Just more of a 'aw, that sucks.'  And that's it.

Now suicide... it's just the lamest, bullshit cop-out ever.  Don't even get me started on that whole Elliot Smith business.  There are plenty of more awful things to get upset about in the world.

Sleuth

I agree mostly with you, except for some reason suicide does feel like a bigger impact to me (rather than him dying another way, not more than victims of starvation, genocide, etc), and I'm not sure why.
I like to hug dogs