The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

MacGuffin

Talked to someone who did background work on this and gave me some insider knowledge of the scene he worked on...

SPOILERS

Right now, they are using Untitled Western as their title.

Scene took place in the 40's at a bar with Joaquin and another actor watching a burlesque show.

PT did A LOT (he stressed, A LOT) of takes for this 3 page dialogue scene where the characters talked about some strange things that happened regarding a book. It was a 14 hour day.

He said it felt like PT wasn't getting what he wanted and just kept trying different things. Using live music on set to play during the scene (sax player) and without, then just at the beginning of the scene. Not too many camera set-ups.

Joaquin was really thin and only wanted to be called by his character name, Johnathan.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

theyarelegion

I remember that scene from the old script...Johnathan...interesting. Thanks Mac!

Reel

I had a dream that I finally saw 'The Master' with Ratner instead of Jaoquin Phoenix in the part of Johnathan. He had done nothing to change his appearance, just played it fat and bearded and really over the top. I felt so betrayed.

children with angels

Quote from: Reelist on August 20, 2011, 02:24:23 PM
I had a dream that I finally saw 'The Master' with Ratner instead of Jaoquin Phoenix in the part of Johnathan. He had done nothing to change his appearance, just played it fat and bearded and really over the top. I felt so betrayed.

Perhaps it's over-exposure to Facebook, but I often feel the need for a 'like' button on Xixax. Because, while I have nothing to add to this, I would like to register my opinion that it's fucking funny. That is: without writing LMFAO!!!!!!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Stefen

Yeah, xixax needs a sort of reputation system. Many posters would step their game up.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Robyn

Yeah, right. Then I should also have a reason to post more than once a week.

If only life could have some sort of reputation system, too..

Robyn

Before Inglourious Basterds came out I had a dream where I saw it on the premiere and everyone hated it and started to booing. Then, Eli Roth went mad and started to scream and throw chairs on people and stuff.

Then somebody asked him to shut the fuck up and he said something like "Don't you know who I am? I'm the guy who made Hostel! I'm going to Hostel you up if YOU don't shut the fuck up!"

The whole film was from Brad Pitts point of view and had a scene where he got raped by Hitler.

I thought it was pretty bad, but not as bad as everyone else thought.

Anyway, this is pretty off topic and I'm sorry for sharing this.

polkablues

Quote from: KJ on August 20, 2011, 04:45:21 PM

Before Inglourious Basterds came out I had a dream where I saw it on the premiere and everyone hated it and started to booing. Then, Eli Roth went mad and started to scream and throw chairs on people and stuff.

Then somebody asked him to shut the fuck up and he said something like "Don't you know who I am? I'm the guy who made Hostel! I'm going to Hostel you up if YOU don't shut the fuck up!"

The whole film was from Brad Pitts point of view and had a scene where he got raped by Hitler.

That wasn't a dream.  That actually happened.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Quote from: polkablues on August 20, 2011, 04:58:18 PM

That wasn't a dream.  That actually happened.

Well, I've been waiting for the directors cut since I realized that the rape scene with Hitler wasn't included. :yabbse-sad:

It was pretty crazy. Like a irl version of The Jerry Springer Show or something.

theyarelegion

"Don't you know who I am? I'm the guy who made Hostel! I'm going to Hostel you up if YOU don't shut the fuck up!"

yes!!! why can't I have dreams like this?

Pozer

Sooooo there's no actual Massuh news then? just more Ratner and Eli Roth overkill? or is this just some dumb dream?

Reel

I have a dream update: in my other dream I was checking this thread and the shooting script was available and I thought "ehh, I'll read it later" then I woke up and was looking for it but I couldn't find it! That was really frustrating, like one of those dreams when you get a bunch a money and when you snap out of it, it's gone.

md

fwiw, this was posted on the DP's facebook on monday.  Completely speculative, but to me, it looks to be a coloring session for some serious ish...

maybe a glimpse at a scene from the master?

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Pubrick

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuu!

MD you are the maddest of the madcunts.

Let's run with this one fellas! Starting with guesses on what we are looking at here exactly. MD got the ball rolling with serious ish.. I'm going to extend that by pointing out the washed out window is reminiscent of the "light of the cross" that lit the church where plainview was being baptised. Itself a reference to Barry Lyndon.

..Go!
under the paving stones.