Filmmaking with Obstacles

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 24, 2003, 07:35:04 PM

The Silver Bullet

On Saturday I'm starting a project where I have to make ten short films in ten weeks, overcoming obstacles set by readers of my blog [and other people too]. The idea was inspired by  The Five Obstructions, the new film from Lars von Trier and Jørgen Leth.

Read the blog entry, and if you have any ideas for obstacles or themes, let me know.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

meatwad

obstacle: only one person can be in the film, and the theme is:love

or

obstacle: the camera can not move at all. Always has to be on a tripod

i can't think of anything else at the moment

Link

mutinyco

You're a fool if you're intentionally creating obstacles for yourself. You're going to run into enough of them as is.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

coffeebeetle

I disagree.  If nothing else, it forces the filmmaker to sharpen their handling of crisis.  Plus it does sound fun and quite challenging.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

mutinyco

If that's what your experience tells you, then believe that.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

• Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

mutinyco

The point is, it's a clever idea and I wish you luck. But with no money and no real production you should keep things as simple as possible. Seriously. Things will complicate themselves enough without making 10 films all with different handicaps. It's just advice to take or leave.

-St. Joe

coffeebeetle

Quote from: mutinycoIf that's what your experience tells you, then believe that.

I have no experience. :)

But it sounds like something I will try.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

mutinyco

Good. Don't listen. The only way to learn is to try things for yourself. Experiment. But don't be so brash as to completely ignore advice.

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I've made enough short films with no time and no money to know what I'm doing. I'm not out there shooting with a VHS-C or anything.

By the way, Mutinyco, that "shut up" wasn't aimed only at you.
  • A hare.

mutinyco

You are sounding arrogant. Doesn't matter who you were telling to shut up. You're coming off as an asshole. In that case, here's an obstacle for you to overcome: yourself.

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

What the Hell? You come in here telling me that I'm "a fool if you're intentionally creating obstacles for yourself." Someone disagrees, you say "then believe that", and the whole thread looks set to go down the usual road of:

"Think that then."
"Okay then, I will."
"Good."
"Good."
"Fine."
"Fine."
"Idiot."
"Asshole."

And I tried to stop it before it happened, that's all.

I have enough experience to want to try and do this, and you automatically assume that I'm either not experienced enough to do it, or that it's beyond my technical capabilities. So be it.

It doesn't matter. Let's just get on with things.
  • A hare.

mutinyco

Okay. It's dead. I love to be proved right. :)

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

QuoteI love to be proved right.
Yeah, that.
  • A hare.