Unbreakable: Yay or Nay?

Started by BrainSushi, August 06, 2003, 12:30:51 PM

modage

Would you do a sequel to "The Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable"?

MNS: Definitely not "The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable," I would have, but I just didn't feel enough love. That's the truth. Most people won't give you a true answer. I didn't feel enough love. I was surprised at the split in the audience. I was mostly surprised at the lack of the acknowledgment of at least what we aspired to do-the classy, non-fighting goblins on the roof version.

also: Said in the bonus disk that the movie Unbreakable was made from what started as only the first third of the original script. He said he felt no connection to the last two thirds of the text and decided to discard them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyIt's not like it would ruin the surprise that it's about comics and superheroes, since he put those stupid statistics at the very beginning (I really hated that).

Those opening statistics are the very reason I figured out the 'secret'. He should have held off on those. Also, the ending scrolls of what happened to the characters was a cop out, epecially if M. Night had thought of this as a trilogy.

From Entertainment Weekly:
With M. Night Shyamalan's Signs seemingly unstoppable at the box office, the director says he still can't quite shake the idea of a sequel to 2000's Unbreakable, which grossed close to $100 million but had as many detractors as fans. ''I keep struggling with whether to do it or not,'' he says. ''It's hard because I feel a little upset that it split audiences, [but] I'd love to see what that guy's life is like now,'' he adds, referring to Bruce Willis' character. ''How does he orchestrate his life so that he doesn't touch people? And then [his] wife doesn't know, but [his] kid knows that dad's a superhero -- that's so f -- -ing fun! I'd love to do that.''

And I too had to hold a laugh back when the son points the gun and Robin Wright says something like: "We don't shoot friends." It completely undercut the suspense of the scene and it's intention.

But for the most part, I enjoyed this film and think it's M. Night's best behind "Sixth Sense". There are shots of pure perfection in here. The long take scene after the train crash where the doctor tells Bruce's character what happened in the background as a survivor dies in the foreground with the pool of blood slowly growing under the sheet is beautiful composition.

Although I understand why he cut it out, but I almost wish M. Night left in the scene of Mr. Glass as a boy riding the carnival ride and smashing his bones as he is tossed side to side.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

What were the stats?  It's been a while since I saw the movie.

Find Your Magali

I give it a definite yay. I think Willis' performance in Unbreakable was better than his in The Sixth Sense. His relationship with his son is the absolute best thing about the movie -- very raw and real. ... It's also a beautifully shot film.

Mostly, though, after the film was over, I understood that it was supposed to be an "origins" piece, and DIDN'T feel the desire to know more, or see an epic showdown. ... That's why I'm mixed on a sequel. I think Willis and Jackson would be great, but the film would have an entirely different tone. Now that the cat's out of the bag, a second movie would simply be Lex Luther vs. Superman.

Let Unbreakable stand on its own.

Pas

I feel the exact same way about the movie...until I heard the rumors, I had never even imagined there could be a sequel

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviWhat were the stats?  It's been a while since I saw the movie.

Basically, they were stats about comic books. Average page count and illustrations in a single issue. Their price range. How many are sold in a day - a year. How many the average collector has.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: BrainSushiDid you guys like Unbreakable?  I thought it was great!  I just rented this movie at my local renting joint, and I thought it was   tres bien . :-D  :twisted:  :shock:  8) [/i]

I own The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. I love them both. I have to say though, his "tricks" are getting a bit old. The surprise endings are pretty much no longer a surprise anymore using his old schemes.

I think the best thing M. Night has going for him is "mood". That guy is incredible at drawing you into a sequence, no matter how goofy or far fetched it is. Examples..

The sequence at the little girl home in The Sixth Sense is nothing short of fantastic. The CU on the father's face as he watches the video still give me chills. I have to admit I jumped a few times when I first saw it. How about when HJO is taking a pee and it starts getting cold. Good stuff.

The weight lifting sequence in Unbreakable is just great. Oh, and the best M. Night line:

"Do you see any Telletubbies around here?... Do you see a slender plastic tag clipped to my shirt with my name printed on it?... Do you see a little Asian child with a blank expression sitting outside in a mechanical helicopter that shakes when you put quarter in it?... "

The closet sequence with Phoenix watching the video as the "creature" crosses by the alley in Signs is very well done. So is the basement sequence.

Little Drummer Boy

This movie was absolute crap! Jackson 5 was a good idea. Unbreakable was not!
It's my cars birthday!

cyk

i didn't hate it and my girlfriend still dosn't get it.....but over all i'd say i liked it.

although now someone has mentioned it, it dose have the "movie length first episode" pilot feel to it.....most of all the rushed ending ending...
"The Wisdom Of Cyk"

"If your up to your chin in shit.........Don't make waves!"

dufresne

how does EVERYONE die in a hotel fire?

:?
There are shadows in life, baby.

modage

i say yay.  i give this movie a lot of credit for trying (before the huge comic book movie explosion), to make a serious comic book movie.  i recently watched this again a few months ago, and think it was a really good movie.  well acted, well shot. all around.  

i acually had a real problem with m. night for a while after sixth came out and exploded, and it took me a little while to get over. because in every interview i read with him, he always talked like he was the greatest director since spielberg or something and i didnt think he'd done enough to warrant that attitute.  (i still saw unbreakable on opening day), although i kind of had a prejudice against him, but have gotten over it after unbreakable did okay business.  i think he kind of grew out of that too big for his britches attitute.  and now i have sixth and unbreakable.  i'd get signs too but maybe a 2 disc is in order first!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: Ravi

I think that in this scene his son says something to the effect of "I'll only shoot you once" and I remember in the theatre me and my friends laughing at loud at this illogical statement, ruining whatever suspense there may have been for anyone else in the theatre...

Other than that, I'd go with "yay"...

aw

Yea, I laughed at pretty much the whole scene. It's just funny to me..."We don't shoot friends Joseph"...and then also when he says something like "If you shoot me, it will bounce off and you'll be in big trouble Mister!"...it's a very awkward scene.

Anyway, I don't know what to think. I liked it the first time I saw it...scared the hell out of me. I definitely didn't love any of the replays I gave it though, I gotta say. I've become pretty indifferent about it. I think I like Signs more. I don't know. Maybe I'll give this one another go. I haven't seen 6th sense in ages either.

Alethia

i remember how exciting it was to see the trailer for the first time....if only the movie had been AS good as that little miracle of a teaser was, i would have been a happy boy...

markums2k

How come so many people have a problem with the dialogue in the "gun scene"?  I liked it.  I didn't think there was anything overly goofy about it.

Unbreakable is better than Signs, but Signs was more commercially successful.  Another reason to hate everyone but yourself... I would love to see a sequel with another villian.  I think it would be very very interesting.  Of course, Mr. Glass would be locked away, plotting his scheme for the next movie.  I'd rather see that shit over another Marvel film... bleh

penfold0101

I give it a big yay. At the time it came out it was very different to most things that were about at the time, the whole idea really pulled me in. i found the majority of the dialogue to be very good

better than the Six Sense, which is the first and only film I've ever fell asleep to at the cinema!

Is the train station the station out of X-Men? it looks so similar.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.