the zombies

Started by tpfkabi, January 02, 2004, 08:29:30 PM

tpfkabi

has anyone heard of the Zombies?

you've probably heard Time of the Season, but that is just one song from their album, Odessey and Oracle:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS70311080120450421&sql=Agtkmikpabb29

this particular German import of the album has 16 extra tracks that are all good (except the cover of Goin' Out of My Head)

this album is so amazing, it sucks that they broke up right after they made it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

GodDamnImDaMan

Just like Shitzu, and they're first album "Pure Shit"
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

godardian

Quote from: bigideashas anyone heard of the Zombies?

you've probably heard Time of the Season, but that is just one song from their album, Odessey and Oracle:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS70311080120450421&sql=Agtkmikpabb29

this particular German import of the album has 16 extra tracks that are all good (except the cover of Goin' Out of My Head)

I love this group. Don't know a helluva lot about them. Juliet of The Rondelles mentioned Odyssey and Oracle as her favorite album, which got me into it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

Zombies guitarist dead at 58

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Paul Atkinson, who played guitar in the British invasion band The Zombies and later became a successful music industry executive who signed such acts as ABBA, died Thursday, said his publicist Susan Clary. He was 58.

Born in Cuffley, England, Atkinson had lived in Los Angeles for the past 20 years.

He started his music career with The Zombies, which had hits in the 1960s with "She's Not There," "Tell Her No" and "Time of the Season."

Later, he went on to work as an artists and repertoire executive, signing acts including ABBA, Bruce Hornsby, Mr. Mister, Michael Penn, Judas Priest and Patty Smyth.

In January, Atkinson received the Recording Academy's President's Merit Award at a tribute and benefit concert in his honor at the House of Blues in Los Angeles.

The event included a reunion of The Zombies.

tpfkabi

after posting that, i found the Zombie Heaven box set on eBay for a really good price. nearly every track they recorded was a gem......unfortunately, the public caught on too late.........Time of the Season became a big hit AFTER they broke up.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS70311080120450421&sql=A2n7uaknkjm3m

El Duderino

"Pure Shit" is pure brilliance
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

tpfkabi

hmmm........i don't think that cut made the box set
=(
darn

Mesh

Quote from: bigideashas anyone heard of the Zombies?

Great band.  Saw 'em live last year and they were a lot of fun, and obviously still very talented performers.  That Zombie Heaven box is solid.

tpfkabi

did someone in the Zombies die? it seems i read that headline somewhere, but i forgot to follow up on it.

there is a cover of She's Not There in Kill Bill Vol. 2......well, it uses the verses.....i don't know about the chorus

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasdid someone in the Zombies die? it seems i read that headline somewhere, but i forgot to follow up on it.
five posts up, here in ur own thread, in large bold writing.
under the paving stones.

Slick Shoes

I just got Odessey & Oracle. I was led to believe, by the reviews on Amazon, that it would sound very much like a cross between Sgt. Peppers' and Pet Sounds. It doesn't. My least favorite song on the album is the most famous. "Time of the Season" has been used so much over the years to sell crap that it sounds almost generic to me at this point. I like the album on the whole, though. Good, sad music that is beautiful.

modage

Quote from: Slick ShoesGood, sad music that is beautiful.
yeah thats it.  i've really gotten into Odyssey and the Oracle in the past month or so.  the whole thing is really good and some of the bonus tracks are great too.  love Care of Cell 44, This Will Be Our Year and Friends of Mine the best. (the zombie thing is a coincidence, i swear).  
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

really really into this album right now.   More people need to hear this. 

noyes

i just got into the zombies a month ago and hell seeing this post got me giddy.
more people indeed to need hear this.
so much so that when i get back home, i'm gonna put the album into a zip file.
unless someone else is going to do to it before me.
changes, beechwood park, hung up on a dream, maybe after he's gone, i want her she wants me; all of them are completely amazing, melodically genius pop songs.
everyone on xixax will hear them.
south america's my name.