Mel Gibson

Started by MacGuffin, December 07, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

squints

ABC Cancels Gibson Company's Holocaust Miniseries

Disney-owned ABC said it has canceled a planned miniseries about the Holocaust that it was developing with Mel Gibson's Icon Productions.

In a statement, ABC said, "Given that it has been nearly two years and we have yet to see the first draft of a script, we have decided to no longer pursue this project with Icon."

Spokesman Kevin Brockman wouldn't comment on whether the decision was motivated by Gibson's arrest last week on suspicion of drunken driving or the controversy surrounding the actor.

Disney Studios will be releasing Gibson's latest film, the historical drama "Apocalypto," in Decemeber.

The actor-filmmaker's publicist told The Associated Press that the star is involved in a program to deal with his drinking.

Gibson previously apologized, and admitted saying "despicable" things during his arrest, but made no mention of anti-Semitic remarks.

Jewish groups were initially fuming over Gibson's alleged remarks. Rabbi Marvin Hier of the Simon Wiesenthal Center said, "If that's what he said, even under intoxication, it clearly shows that Mel Gibson has a problem with Jews."

In 2004, Gibson defended himself against accusations of anti-Semitism after some Jewish leaders said "Passion" cast Jews as the killers of Christ.

"To be anti-Semitic is a sin," Gibson, a Catholic, told ABC's Diane Sawyer. "It's been condemned by one Papal Council after another. To be anti-Semitic is to be un-Christian, and I'm not." The anti-Semitic controversy swirling around Gibson two years ago was partly due to a remark his father, Hutton Gibson, had made that the Holocaust was mostly "fiction." The younger Gibson has said that he will not speak against his father.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

Should I feel bad for feeling sorry for the guy and for still looking forward to Apocalypto?
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

If you were watching the subtitle under the Idle Chatter heading, then you know xixax.com is psychic, and we called it:

Martin Riggs Reloads?
Source: Moviehole

There has been a bit of talk about a fifth "Lethal Weapon" movie of late - Dick Donner has been keen to do one for a couple of years apparently - thing is, everyone but Mel Gibson has been involved in those talks. Seems Gibson just wasn't too keen on reprising his role as Martin Riggs for yet another sequel to the 1987 smasheroo, so most of those talks revolved around how they were going to come up with a sequel that would make it appealing for Gibson. Up till now, he wouldn't snap at the line though.

Talking to a fairly sturdy source today, I'm told things may have changed. And yes, it has a lot to do with that little incident of Gibson's in Malibu - I was actually in Malibu today, and it is the talk of the town - and a little to do with the fact that everything he had tied up - including that new ABC mini-series on the Holocaust he was going to do - has suddenly, come undone.

Now the word is, "That Mel might be quickly jumping onboard Lethal 5, or one of the other studio projects that he has been reluctant to do at this stage. It's a sure-fire way of not only staying in good with atleast one studio, but the fans, too".

Interesting stuff. Might we see Mel in a "Lethal Weapon 5", and soon?!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I'm getting too old for this shit.

MacGuffin

Schneider Slams Gibson
By WENN

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo star Rob Schneider is the first actor to publicly announce he will never work with Mel Gibson due to the anti-Semitic remarks he made when he was arrested last Friday.

Schneider took out an ad in Hollywood trade paper Variety slamming the star for his behavior in "An Open Letter to the Hollywood Community."

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

It's as if Rob Schneider just wrote down the first thing he thought of and sent it off. That letter isn't particularly funny or provocative or even convincing. It's just stupid, but go figure.
WWPTAD?

Chest Rockwell

Jesus, poor guy. I think people are taking some drunken slurs he said way too seriously. But I'm also not Jewish, so what do I know?

hedwig

Anti-Defamation League Welcomes Mel Gibson's Apology To The Jewish Community

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today accepted actor Mel Gibson's apology for anti-Semitic remarks he made during an arrest on suspicion of drunken driving.

Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:

"This is the apology we had sought and requested.  We are glad that Mel Gibson has finally owned up to the fact that he made anti-Semitic remarks, and his apology sounds sincere.  We welcome his efforts to repair the damage he has caused, to reach out to the Jewish community, and to seek help. Once he completes his rehabilitation for alcohol abuse, we will be ready and willing to help him with his second rehabilitation to combat this disease of prejudice."

The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on August 03, 2006, 09:42:18 PM
It's as if Rob Schneider just wrote down the first thing he thought of and sent it off. That letter isn't particularly funny or provocative or even convincing. It's just stupid, but go figure.

We are talking about the guy that wrote The Hot Chick and The Animal.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

didn't he write something last year to slam a critic for not winning any award and then embarassed himself when the guy won a few awards?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

Rob Shneider's a talent-less hack

Quote from: pete on August 04, 2006, 01:49:28 AM
didn't he write something last year to slam a critic for not winning any award and then embarassed himself when the guy won a few awards?

Ebert talks about it in a pretty damn funny review of European Gigolo
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/REVIEWS/50725001/1023
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

Schneider peaked with those "makin' copies" sketches.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2006, 11:39:17 PM

We are talking about the guy that wrote The Hot Chick and The Animal.
But the real question that no one is asking is...Did Mac secretly buy
on DVD when it came out?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ravi

I'm sure it slipped in during one of Mac's Supermarket Sweep sessions.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2006, 05:36:37 PM
Schneider Slams Gibson
By WENN

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo star Rob Schneider is the first actor to publicly announce he will never work with Mel Gibson due to the anti-Semitic remarks he made when he was arrested last Friday.

Schneider took out an ad in Hollywood trade paper Variety slamming the star for his behavior in "An Open Letter to the Hollywood Community."

hahaha, rob is a corny motha fucka.   i think rob had nothing to worry about anyway...gibson does draw the casting line somewhere.  but i  do like the idea of directors saying shit to piss off shitty actors limiting their roles.

i really want more  directors of prominence to get drunk and say some shit that would keep kirsten dunst, alec baldwin, cuba gooding jr, and renee zellweger from making films....