The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Started by Myxo, January 15, 2004, 01:07:52 PM

Myxo

I just saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen last night. Anybody else seen this and liked it? I thought it was alright. It was pretty fucking wierd, but it held my attention. I loved Robin Williams as the King of the Moon.

Oh, and Uma Thurman = Hot.

I kept thinking about this movie the entire time. It is equally as bizarre.

Pwaybloe

Yeah, I really fell in love with it.  Gilliam always has really good costumes and set design pieces, and I think he really succeded with this early one.

What's even more interesting was the struggle during filming.  The budget ballooned to be double what was expected by the time filming ended.  

I don't know if there is an official record of what went on, but he mentions a lot of it on "Lost in La Mancha" and the doc on the "12 Monkeys" DVD.  With the over-budget of this one (not to mention not earning any money in theatres) kind of put Gilliam off as "out of control."

SoNowThen

How does this movie stack up to Time Bandits and Brazil? My roommate is a pretty big Gilliam fan, and he's thinking of blind buying it, but it's a fairly expensive non-Criterion dvd...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenHow does this movie stack up to Time Bandits and Brazil? My roommate is a pretty big Gilliam fan, and he's thinking of blind buying it, but it's a fairly expensive non-Criterion dvd...

It's on the same page as "Time Bandits" and (to a lesser degree) "Brazil."  I actually like "Baron" more than the two above.  It's pure fantasy.

I think your roommate will love it.

SoNowThen

I'm gonna pass that on to him. Mostly because I wanna see it, but don't have an extra $35 to spend in this dvd :) .
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

i'd like to kill whoever green lit nothing but trouble.

ono

Weird coincidence here.  I just saw a clip from this movie about a week ago in a production class, and thought it was the weirdest most obscure thing.  Small world, then, that I'd find a thread about it here.  I haven't seen much of it, but what I did see was fascinating.  I saw the scene where the protagonist promises some sort of wine or something and will surrender his life if he doesn't deliver.  The axman, or whatever he's called, can't see very well, and gives the protagonist a trim, just before he's saved in the nick of time.  The dotted line on the protagonist's neck, and the fat women in the wading pool were two touches I liked.  I'll probably check out the whole thing when I get a chance.

freakerdude

If anyone has Cinemax and hasn't seen it yet, they've been running it lately.
MC Pee Pants