90's Music

Started by Finn, June 09, 2005, 12:21:15 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasremember that video where her nude body was only covered by her long hair?  

(i need an Emoticon that throws up)
i guess u won't be buying the one on the far right then..
under the paving stones.

mogwai

pfft, some people like to diss alanis and her great bod because they thinks it's cool. singing wise, that's another story. :yabbse-wink:

Myxo

Who remembers "Nightmare on my Street" by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince? I loved that song. Also, "Parents Just Don't Understand!

Kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it! Some very funny lyrics and songs from Presidents of the USA.

How about some INXS? They released "Kick" in 1987, but I remember listening to it alot in the very early 90s. Also, Use your Illusion 1 and 2 from Guns N' Roses in 1991. Also, C&C Music Factory.

Thrindle

Seventies music is defined by classic rock and disco, Eighties is new wave and punk... but these are broad definitions.  We know what an eighties song is because it sounds eighties (synthesizers and all).  So what defines 90's music?  We have a list of all of these songs, but where's the link?

Also, "How Bizarre" played for far too long.  Oooh baby, you're making me crazy....
Classic.

tpfkabi

I guess what has made me think of this music lately is watching the new show, Hit Me Baby One More Time. it's pretty interesting to see what these one hit wonders are up to now.

As far as what will be the main characteristic for 90's music........I'm not sure. I imagine grunge/alternative music will always be associated with it.

p.s. referring to DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince:
I had the cassette single for I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson.
I still think the song Summertime is really good even to this day.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Weird. Oh

Quote from: bigideas

what was that song about Jimmy Ray?
something like:
are you sting ray?
etc, etc

The song was by Jimmy Ray called Jimmy Ray. A bizarre misfit of rockabilly in mainstream pop. I absolutely despised that song.

Didn't notice any mention of bands like the Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis  in regards to a mid to late 90's sound. Definitely very big bands in the 90's. I guess the Pumpkins never get their dues, largely to the fact that Billy Corgan is an apparent prick.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Bethie

Quote from: Pubrick
Robyn - show me love

haha. I thought about that song all day...reminding myself to post it tonight.

Tom Petty with Free Fallin' and Mary Jane's Last Dance.
Coolio- Gangstas Paradise

QuoteDidn't notice any mention of bands like the Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis

I never mentioned them or Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots ...because I figured those were like all 'no duh' bands of the 90's. Everyone knows their sound defined the early 90's.
who likes movies anyway

Pubrick

the defining charectiristic of early (popular) 90s music, apart from the grunge thing, or rather, running parallel to that, was the trend to put a rap solo in the middle or near the end of EVERY SINGLE SONG. the structure went thus: verse-hook-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-RAP-chorus to fade. perhaps popularized by michael jackson's Dangerous (JAM, black or white). the technique permeated through the decade and is still present when a dance solo won't cut it. i think the last good use of it was ODB at the end of Mariah Carey's 'Fantasy'. coincidentally, the year her innocence died.

btw, MJ still owned the early to mid 90s with his hits from Dangerous and HIStory up to his last great song, the underrated Stranger in Moscow. then with the advent of the spice girls, backstreet boys, the 90s became rigid, predictable, and officially property of another generation.. boy bands (backstreet, boyzone), girl bands (spice, all saints) , fake-angry bands (korn, limp), the sarcastics (eminem, blink182) chief among them. that period established the mold for what has now saturated the market.

it was BETWEEN the old ways and the advent of the new packaging that for a brief moment popular music wowed me with actual potential. it was in that split second that Fiona won best new artist at the MTV awards,  that the prodigy actually won the audience award, beck won best male two years running with Where It's At and Devil's Haircut, Smashing Pumpkins won best video for Tonight Tonight. but as the new stuff flooded the market, i became irritated by popular music.

maybe it was puberty, but it was in those years (post-97) that i gave up hope in the populace appreciating GOOD music, still sumthing tells me it happened to ppl in their 20s also. i remember that REM had been popular and good, and Pearl Jam which i rediscovered, so i wondered what the HELL happened to ppl!??? around that time i moved to movies, which had their own weird transition happening from Leaving Las Vegas and Fargo to TITANIC.

the decade ended with my discovery of Hieroglyphics. enabled by familiarity with Del the Funky Homosapien, the aforementioned early 90s one-hit wonder. so i would venture to say the 90s are clearly a difficult period to define for popular music. the early part was mostly cheesy spill-over from (or grungy reaction to) the 80s, and the final years feel geared towards a future Family Guy audience. there were shining moments when true talent was recognized by the masses, and in my pre-pubescence i was innocently carried away with it all, but for the most part it was dominated by a largely clueless and increasingly dull collective taste. did the 90s actually last only 2 years?

96/97 might be looked upon as insignificant historically, since the periods before and (especially) after overwhelm popular memory, but it seemed to possess a peculiar combination of naiveté, ambition and a little precocity. unfortunately, as nature would have it, when the decade was most RIPE was also the moment it fell and proceeded to decay. if this post had a soundtrack i'd end it with my favorite hit from the 90s, popular and brilliant, it defines the period it was released in: The Verve's bitter sweet symphony.

a few personal faves not yet mentioned:
Montell Jordan - this is how we do it
George Michael - fastlove
Arrested Development - mr. wendal
ween - push th' little daisies
Ini Kamoze - here comes the hotstepper
faith no more - EASY (there u go, RK)
Butthole Surfers - pepper

i'm a surfer!

Quote from: ®edlumBesides all the britpop stuff.
don't get me started on Take That!
under the paving stones.

Bethie

hey you changed your list. You had a Sheryl Crow song on there before. It made me want to download Everyday is a Winding Road.

What about Snow- Informer. haha. My brother owned the cd that included that song. My niece's mother asked if she could borrow "snow" my brother said yes thinking she meant that decorating spray snow (it was around Christmas time.) she took his cd back in 93 and never gave it back.
who likes movies anyway

Pubrick

Quote from: Bethiehey you changed your list. You had a Sheryl Crow song on there before. It made me want to download Everyday is a Winding Road.
yeah, it wasn't really 'me'. i also removed Janet Jackson - if, and added (the original and best) AD plus ini kamoze. if i had to choose a sheryl crow song it would be If It Makes You Happy.

Quote from: BethieWhat about Snow- Informer. haha. My brother owned the cd that included that song. My niece's mother asked if she could borrow "snow" my brother said yes thinking she meant that decorating spray snow (it was around Christmas time.) she took his cd back in 93 and never gave it back.
that was on my first list. i rapped it at a radio station once.. :shock:
under the paving stones.

Bethie

hahahahhaha. at least it was a radio station. it could have been worse, a television station. you'd be forever remembered as the the kid that rapped that one terrible song.

Crossroads was also on your first list which upon reading prompted me to sing 'see you at the crossroads crossroads crossroads'
who likes movies anyway

Pas

Anyone remembers that chick who sang "Saturday night dilididadidadida with you baby" or something like that ? and her other hit : "Another with you ... another day...another day...anoooother day with you"

I loved that as a child. What's her godamn name ?????

Edit : WHIGFIELD

tpfkabi

i don't understand your Family Guy comment, but when i had a boss named Jan, every time i thought of her name i thought:

Jan
Jan
Here Comes the man,
Hot Damn!

i don't remember the rest of Heavy D's rap solo on the track.

-the daddy mac
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Myxo

Pubrick's description of the 1990s music culture is just spot on.

Fake angry bands in Korn & Limp Bizkit..

haha..

So true.

God, commercial music was prevelant in the 1980s and even early 1990s but it wasn't so incredibly blatant. Now anyone with half a brain can look at most artists and put them in a neat little package.

Shit, we don't even listen to records anymore. Is anyone paying attention to that? We're buying Ipods and cramming them full of the "very best" of our favorite albums. Oh, records still get released which are worth listening to from start to finish, but they're getting to be a very rare thing indeed.

Sleuth

Why else do you think I slit my wrists
I like to hug dogs