Rilo Kiley / Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins

Started by Rudie Obias, September 19, 2004, 11:06:10 PM

Rudie Obias

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

NEON MERCURY

but less adventerous was more subtle...

matt35mm

Was there not a Rilo Kiley thread already?  Anyway, The Execution of All Things (their album before More Adventurous) is pretty damned good.

imawombat

yeah, i love  execution of all things!

i'm still getting into more adventurous but i pretty much like it so far.  still, it hasn't grabbed me like execution did...
these things do happen

imawombat

:roll: like an idiot, i'm replying to myself here, but after a few listens to the new cd...i'm loving it!
these things do happen

tpfkabi

has anyone seen them live?
they're coming pretty close in a couple of weeks.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

yeah, they're coming here too but i've already got like 4 shows in those same 2 weeks so i dont think i'm gonna go.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

I saw them, and if you like their albums, you'll dig the show.

Rudie Obias

i've seen them 8 times since 2001.  they are so amazing live!  jenny lewis is the sweetest person you'll ever met in a band!  she's awesome.

(she was that nintendo movie, wizard, with fred savage.  remember?)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

my girlfriend was told she looked like jenny lewis at a wilco show.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

yeah, my friend wanting to see the Wizard (which hasn't been released to DVD and i can't find to rent anywhere) is probably what pushed me over the edge into checking them out (that and the fact that Blake was in Salute Your Shorts).

i haven't gotten the first album. what's the deal with the track "salute your shorts" listed in the tracklisting? is it the actual theme song?

modage

for anyone interested, you can download FOR FREE and LEGAL the entire (save for one song) album Rabbit Fur Coat from Jenny Lewis website.  it's pretty awesome, and if you like alt country you will dig it as i do.

http://www.team-love.com/bands/jenny/releases.php

GoneSavage

Dan Sartain will be upstaging touring with her soon.

tpfkabi

i'll have to look into that.
tell me though, what is the marketing standpoint behind doing that?

matt35mm

I can't say what the marketing standpoint behind it is, because I've downloaded it, and it's in perfect condition.  160 kbps, CD-quality... about as good as if I bought the CD.  There's just the one song that they don't include, which I've downloaded on iTunes.  I mean, I guess you can say that now I've spent 99 cents that I wasn't sure I'd spend otherwise, but then again, I now have the whole album for 99 cents.  My guess is that it's a limited time thing to get the album out there, and then when people start recommending it, the people that they recommend it to will have to buy it.  Other than that, I can't really see the purpose, but I love it.  I'm also going to check out the other artists on the site that have a similar downloading thing going on which I wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

I'm digging the album, but I've only listened to it once.  My first impression is that this isn't the lyrically strongest album of Lewis's, but it sounds gorgeous.  I've really liked her voice for a long time now.  Rilo Kiley has been getting better and better.  So far I like Rilo Kiley over this, but this is really pretty wonderful.  I'm listening to it at a lowish volume late at night, and it's really perfectly suited to that.  And maybe multiple listenings will add even more.

Especially since it's free, I absolutely recommend getting it.