Stupidest Things You've Heard About Kill Bill - SPOILERS(!)

Started by cine, October 13, 2003, 11:32:45 AM

cine

All from the same friend of mine... I apologize in advance:
"I enjoyed Kill Bill, but I personally think LOTR is more dominant."
"A lot of the fighting, blood, et cetera was unrealistic. Fun, but unrealistic."
"It didn't keep up with the special effects at some points. Arms would get chopped off and blood would fly everywhere, stomachs cut and blood everywhere. however, when she was fighting 5, 6, 7, 8's.. after she killed them... there wasn't even blood on the sword!  No puddles around the guys.. nothing! Then when everyone came in... she was rolling around on the ground, but after had the same amount of blood on her that she did before. It wasn't consistent enough for my liking."
"At some point the blood was too much compared to points where there was none."
"she was shot in the head and that wasn't explained... and she wasn't retarded."  -- to which I explained about that metal plate of sorts, and he replied, "yes, but she was shot in the head!  memory loss.. nerve damage. something that would handicap her from killing 88 plus people in a matter of 20 minutes!"
"She was lying down for 4 years, yet she can kill 88 plus people by herself.."

That was the most that I can recall right there... I kind of wish I forgot it all.. and that it never happened. That stuff is depressing to me.

smash

Quote from: Cinephile"I enjoyed Kill Bill, but I personally think LOTR is more dominant."
This one sounds exactly like what some of my friends would say.  They enjoy comparing two completely different films.  Usually its LOTR vs. something else.  I'm so sick of hearing how great LOTR is from them... oh well   :roll:

Pas

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

...the Strokes?

And, it's funny ... I thought it was a little early for people to say stupid things about Kill Bill.  *shrug*

Pas

Quote from: themodernage02"Kill Bill is WAAAAY better than The Strokes."

HAHAHA good one  :wink:

ShanghaiOrange

Someone on another message board said, in all honesy: "Another brainless movie for pre-teens. Won't do as well since the summer is over."
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

modage

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeSomeone on another message board said, in all honesy: "Another brainless movie for pre-teens. Won't do as well since the summer is over."

i think i've heard of that message board. is it called "Idiots International"?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

do you think that if kill bill was written and directed by some nobody who just wanted to make a fun movie and turned out EXACTLY the same, people would say that it was a good movie or that it was a stupid action movie? i personally love it, but i love action movies (for a while i was known as the only person on the board who could admit that xXx was fucking awesome). i think this had it all, and even if the name on the credits was (God forbid) brett ratner or somebody and not tarantino, i'd still think it kicked ass.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

edison

When the trailers were first showing on tv, my girlfriend stated that this seemed like another Charlies Angels!!! Now that its out, she gets mad everytime i mention the film, i dont think i will ever get her to see it.

Fernando

Quote from: bonanzatazdo you think that if kill bill was written and directed by some nobody who just wanted to make a fun movie and turned out EXACTLY the same, people would say that it was a good movie or that it was a stupid action movie? i personally love it, but i love action movies (for a while i was known as the only person on the board who could admit that xXx was fucking awesome). i think this had it all, and even if the name on the credits was (God forbid) brett ratner or somebody and not tarantino, i'd still think it kicked ass.

That's the thing precisely, nobody could have written or directed it the way he did, is like saying, would you love so much this painting if it wasn't done by Dali?

I keep hearing people bitching (I know you didin't) about the fact that QT steals from every film, and that he is just a ripp-off, etc. He might 'steal' but he always acknowledges it and talks consistently about his influences. Thus, if it was so easy to do what QT does, lot of people would be doing it, maybe thay're doing it but without success.

I truly think Tarantino is a gifted filmmaker, and I remember very well that when he anounced that KB was next he said 'I will do one more just for the fans, a really cool movie', so he intended it (obviously) that way. I have no doubt that he will make more serious flims, in fact, he already did with Jackie Brown which BTW could be his best.

ono

The difference between Kill Bill and other action movies is this has a legitimate fakeness to it.  Other action movies try to fake being real, while this one gives you the ultra violence.  The carnage, the blood, the guts.  But it dances the line because it goes all out in the vein of Japanese anime, giving you buckets of blood as well, making the violence so cartoonish that you can both be shocked at times, and suspend your disbelief with an indicator that it's fake.  I think, personally, if the blood were toned down to be more realistic of real wounds, instead of geysers, it'd be even harder for people to swallow and might garner an NC-17 for sure.  But that ain't gonna happen.

There are also Tarantino's stylistic flares which make this movie great, and that's why no other director COULD make a movie like this.  Those things, in the hands of other directors, would just be happy accidents.

Alethia

my dad said he thought the film looked stupid because "there's no way she could kill 88 guys by herself."

ono

Quote from: ewardmy dad said he thought the film looked stupid because "there's no way she could kill 88 guys by herself."
Hehe.  And the funny thing is, she didn't.  Now, if he'd say mortally wounded or killed ... then he'd have a point.  :-D

pete

Quote from: bonanzatazdo you think that if kill bill was written and directed by some nobody who just wanted to make a fun movie and turned out EXACTLY the same, people would say that it was a good movie or that it was a stupid action movie? i personally love it, but i love action movies (for a while i was known as the only person on the board who could admit that xXx was fucking awesome). i think this had it all, and even if the name on the credits was (God forbid) brett ratner or somebody and not tarantino, i'd still think it kicked ass.

well there's this japanese movie out called Versus, which is directed and written by a "nobody" (here in the West anyways) but people everywhere love it, and it's very much in the same vein as kill bill-- a yakuza samurai zombie martial arts flick with the same over the top gore but pokes more fun at heavy metal music and supernatural zombie movies.  it's like kill bill with a much lower budget, but I think some people from the Versus s f/x team did the kill bill stuff.  so anyways, I think people will say it's a good movie that pokes fun at action movies (I think pokes fun is different from makes fun of by the way).
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton