Pitchforkmedia: Anything Indie = cool

Started by Pro T-Bono, January 13, 2004, 12:04:24 AM

Stefen

That's a sweet lineup. I wonder if Yo La Tengo will be playing any Condo Fucks stuff. Sunday should be epic.

I like when they play a whole classic album instead of voting on which songs they play. What was it last year? Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation? GZA - Liquid Swords? I remember reading about those.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I agree, entire albums are better, and no, you're thinking of 2007.

2008 was Sebadoh performing "Bubble and Scrape", Public Enemy performing "It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back" and Mission of Burma playing "Vs."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Walrus on March 11, 2009, 04:33:14 PM
I agree, entire albums are better
Seconded.

But I fucking love Tortoise; should be an interesting night. If I lived anywhere near Chicago I'd go every year. The planet ticket alone would nullify the inexpensive ticket.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on March 15, 2009, 01:55:32 PM
If I lived anywhere near Chicago I'd go every year. The planet ticket alone would nullify the inexpensive ticket.

Which one do you live on?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I know I'm the only one here going to Pitchfork (other than Reinhold) but the bands have been updated a few more times.

Apparently now The Flaming Lips will be playing (a couple weeks old news) but also MF Doom, or as its listed DOOM, Matt & Kim, Mew, M83... this looks like one of the finer lineups in a long time.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Walrus on May 01, 2009, 10:17:42 PM
I know I'm the only one here going to Pitchfork (other than Reinhold) but the bands have been updated a few more times.

Apparently now The Flaming Lips will be playing (a couple weeks old news) but also MF Doom, or as its listed DOOM, Matt & Kim, Mew, M83... this looks like one of the finer lineups in a long time.

MF DOOM has officially changed his name to DOOM. Dj/Rupture was also just added...I'm getting more excited with each new batch of announcements, which seem to be happening weekly.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

New Feeling

saw a pretty great video on PFM yesterday:

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Has anyone been following their Decade in Music thing? Not too bad. The 500 songs and 200 albums of the decade got it more right than wrong.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

it's mostly all dance/techno things I downloaded 1 song in the top 20 and knew like 3-4  :yabbse-undecided:

tpfkabi

i think they went to far trying to seem diverse by having half a dozen rap acts with 2-3 albums each on the list while there would only be one (if that) of some of their most celebrated rock acts (other than Radiohead and Animal Collective).

i don't have a total grasp of the list as i don't think they ever just had a plain simple 1-200 list, but you had to go through multiple pages and links to see them all. i would just like to see the 200 in one simple list.

i know Elliott Smith's Figure 8 is way down there. i think only the second Shins record is on there. i want to say there are no Decemberists or Franz Ferdinand (at least the first album was quite celebrated). Malkmus albums usually always get high ratings, but i don't remember seeing even one.

Bjork's Vespertine seemed low. Daft Punk at #3 with an original 6 something rating.

at least they didn't blow the Flaming Lips/Embryonic review today.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Stefen

For the first time (for real this time) their top two was the best. Stillness is the Move is some straight 90's shit. It's fucking awesome, and My Girls is the best Animal Collective ever offered. Both were first 6 mo. releases of tha year, and they held up. I'm in love with Amber Cofffman. How cute is she?

Overall, 09 has been mad solid. Some will front, but this year is the best year since the best year (09). Dirty Projectors, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Annimal C?

Great year. The end always are. I wonder how this gen. gets influenced.

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2009, 11:05:53 AM
Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on October 12, 2009, 10:46:07 PM
Rap is hardly the genre that Rock is.

as in they aren't the same kind or type?

Well, way back then when it was in context, I was referring to how bigideas was assuming that Pitchfork was trying to see diverse by including more rap than rock and basically that rap is just as much music as rock is, so their presence on a list shouldn't mean that they're trying to ignore rock and focus on rap, but just looking at quality music.