Pitchforkmedia: Anything Indie = cool

Started by Pro T-Bono, January 13, 2004, 12:04:24 AM

Gamblour.

how bout we get rid of music criticism altogether? horray! the most useless form of academia is gone.
WWPTAD?

modage

you can ditch movie criticism while we're at it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

Weezer Members to Play Velvet Underground in Film

Matthew Solarski and Amy Phillips report:
As obvious heirs to the Velvet Underground's cultural legacy, two dudes from Weezer have been selected to portray members of the VU in the forthcoming Edie Sedgwick biopic Factory Girl. Weezer guitarist Brian Bell will put on his best Lou Reed swagger, while =w= drummer Patrick Wilson will attempt to invoke a John Cale cool in the George Hickenlooper-directed film, currently in production.

What's more, Bell and Wilson have recorded a new version of the classic VU track "Heroin", to be used in Factory Girl. Bell sings, while Wilson rocked the kit for the recording (VU drummer Moe Tucker, however, will be portrayed by Hole/Mötley Crüe/Eagles of Death Metal stickswoman Samantha Maloney in Factory Girl).

"Working on this project with Pat [Wilson] was a blast," Bell revealed on Weezer's official website. "There was no premeditated plan, no rehearsal, there was barely even a discussion of how to approach this seven minute ride-the lessons learned and the experience of recording-proved to be invaluable."

Seems like the Weezer boys are feeling pretty good about their try at "Heroin". "[Moe] Tucker did have an amazing feel," Bell said, "but she was no Pat, and Pat pulled out an 'Only In Dreams' type crescendo that I think makes that aspect of the song better."

Wait a second. Did he just say that the guy who played on "Beverly Hills" does a better "Heroin" than Moe Tucker? Good lord, is this man confused.

Bell continued, "maybe we might help turn a new generation on to this amazing art rock band and change the perspectives of a few unknowing listeners. If your music has steered too far from the aesthetic of the Velvet Underground you have to ask yourself, 'What the hell am I trying to do?'"

Um, dude? Maybe you forgot, but you're in WEEZER. What the hell are YOU trying to do?

Weezer's not the first rock act to play the Velvet Underground on the silver screen. Yo La Tengo did so previously in the 1996 Mary Harron-directed drama I Shot Andy Warhol.

Factory Girl tells the tale of Edie Sedgwick's meeting with Andy Warhol and her subsequent rise and fall in the 1960s New York scene. Sienna Miller (Casanova, Alfie, Layer Cake) plays Sedgwick and Guy Pearce (Memento, Two Brothers, The Count of Monte Cristo) is Warhol. The film also stars darksider Hayden Christensen (Star Wars Episode II and III), "Saturday Night Live"'s Jimmy Fallon, and relative newcomer Meredith Ostrom as Nico.

Patrick Wilson weighed in on the film's potential on his blog, stating, "the script is sweet and confidence is high that this movie wont [sic] suck."

Apparently the real Lou Reed thinks otherwise. "I read that script," Reed candidly told the New York Daily News. "It's one of the most disgusting, foul things I've seen - by any illiterate retard - in a long time. There's no limit to how low some people will go to write something to make money."

if lou reed doesn't like it...i don't like it
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

Quote from: squints on January 25, 2006, 01:18:17 PM
ok, i myself listen to some of their albums every now and then, so i'm not a Weezerphobe.., but that should be a fucking Onion headline or something  :yabbse-angry:

squints

Quote from: Hedwig on January 25, 2006, 02:55:14 PM
ok, i myself listen to some of their albums every now and then, so i'm not a Weezerphobe.., but that should be a fucking Onion headline or something  :yabbse-angry:

Pinkerton is fucking amazing...post that though..its all downhill
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

There is something seriously wrong with Weezer playing Velvet Underground, especially now.  Even if they had kept churning out tracks like the ones found on Blue and Pinkerton (without trying to emulate the worst possible sound, which they always find their new low on every album onward) it still wouldn't make sense.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ShanghaiOrange

I don't remember what the context was, but one of the reviewers on there once said something like "I'd rather have a minute of a bootlegged performance of Sister Ray by the Velvet Underground than the whole catalog of the Beatles." That's one of the dumbest things someone who supposedly likes music could say.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

JG

Quote from: squints on January 25, 2006, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: Hedwig on January 25, 2006, 02:55:14 PM

Pinkerton is fucking amazing...post that though..its all downhill

there is not a band i hate more than weezer right now.  they have become such such crap.  it's so sad cause pinkerton and blue are really amazing albums.   the pitchfork review of make believe is pretty funny, though.   

Stefen

Anyone checked out pitchfork.tv that launched today? Seems pretty neat. I don't have sound here at work, but I can't wait to check it out when I get home.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Stefen on April 07, 2008, 11:43:17 AM
Anyone checked out pitchfork.tv that launched today? Seems pretty neat. I don't have sound here at work, but I can't wait to check it out when I get home.

Not a lot up yet but it looks very cool. Especially that they put up a new documentary every week. This week it's loudQUIETloud about The Pixies.

....it could get a little to indie/art snobbish though... watch the reportage about Man Man  :ponder:

Stefen

I'd like to throw my support behind Pitchfork.tv. I could spend hours there and sometimes I do. The videos are amazing quality.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

i saw a lot of the demos on the screens at Pitchfork's music festival last weekend but I didn't realize there was as much to it as there is. 

what i like about these as opposed to other similar things  that you see on mtv or vh1 is that there seems to be less pretense here in regard to the musicians being "cool" strictly on the premise of their marketed and/or indie street cred.  maybe it's just the style of the editing.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

Pitchfork went through a MAJOR overhaul over the weekend. Don't know how to feel about the new look yet. It's going to take some getting used to.

john

I'm a pretty passive Pitchfork fan. I might check it often, but I never really spend a lot of time on the site further than checking out the days news - so I'm not too attached to the old design.

I like the new one... it's a bit similar to the AV Club redesign, but whatever. I might actually spend more time on the site digging for the good stuff.

Ooohhhh.... lists!
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com/

I think I started another thread for this... possibly way back when I went to the Pitchfork/Intonation show, but the earliest lineup has just been released for 2009's PMF.  Pharoahe Monch is definitely the one that I'm most excited to see thus far.

What's worth noting: the Friday lineup, normally when a band plays an album in its entirety, will now be "Write The Night" wherein which ticket procurers will vote for the songs to be played by the following bands:

Jesus Lizard
Tortoise
Built to Spill
Yo La Tengo

Now then, performing on Saturday...

National
Pharoahe Monch
Pains of Being Pure At Heart

And Sunday...

Grizzly Bear
Walkmen
Vivian Girls

I just hope they don't spike the price of the tickets because I'm sure they've realized the room they have.  Last year was $65 for all 3 days, which is a steal.  I mean, hell, the first year (which was only two days, but still) was only $35.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye