Pitchforkmedia: Anything Indie = cool

Started by Pro T-Bono, January 13, 2004, 12:04:24 AM

Pro T-Bono

Does anyone else get that vibe from them?  By indie i mean the whole aesthetic of the indie scene not necessarily bands not on major labels.  I mean they love their lo-fi shit and seem to write off other kinds of music.  They apparently have little to no appreciation for harder shit like Tool and The Mars Volta, two bands who should blow the cornholes out of any discerning music lover.  opinions please...
that's amazing!              Where are we?

Sleuth

I am blaming them for the herd mentality usage of the word "pretentious" and all negative connotations to it.

Yeah, they're snobs like that, but since I don't read the site that much, I was surprised to see stuff like 50 cent on their top 100 singles of the year.  Are they trying to make themselves more credible?  Either way it doesn't work for me and I only read for the occasional review/news
I like to hug dogs

European Son

Ryan Schrieber's review of Pet Sounds was the bestest!

Pedro

well, it's funny, in that same year in music where they have 50 cent in the top singles, they claim that the second most annoying indie trend was "accepting the mainstream"

sometimes their reviews are good...brent d sucks.  and they're snobbier than even me.

Sleuth

Haha, I like their new banner that says, "Are you a conceited fucking asshole?  Click here.  Pitchfork needs writers."  Where did Mesh go?

is there a site that has a better news team though?  I'd really like to stop giving these guys hits
I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SlorgHaha, I like their new banner that says, "Are you a conceited fucking asshole?  Click here.  Pitchfork needs writers."  Where did Mesh go?

is there a site that has a better news team though?  I'd really like to stop giving these guys hits

Totally not music-related, but I get my news from //www.axisofjustice.org.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

...the way it works in real life is that "more than likely"...an inndie labeled band will suck.....but an innndie labeled film will not.....i'm not saying that this is true for all the possibilites .......but its much easier to write a bunch of pseudo-inntellectuaal wanna be artisitc-nnihilistic "phuck the world"...kinnd of songs than it is to gather a crew annd make a film......

........if you don't believe me ...than i  cann't help you there...maybe...um.... read the liner notes to the first poppa roach cd.......

socketlevel

lol... yeah, that band is a bag of smashed assholes.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pedro

they got it right with Mu, Xiu Xiu, and Sufjan Stevens.

GoneSavage

Quote from: SlorgHaha, I like their new banner that says, "Are you a conceited fucking asshole?  Click here.  Pitchfork needs writers."  Where did Mesh go?

Slorgs - I'm not sure your taste in music, but the Gossip section of buddyhead.com is pretty informative and entertaining.  It's as pretentious as Pitchfork but somehow boils each story down to its core.  Give it a shot.

Sleuth

Quote from: GoneSavage

Slorgs - I'm not sure your taste in music, but the Gossip section of buddyhead.com is pretty informative and entertaining.  It's as pretentious as Pitchfork but somehow boils each story down to its core.  Give it a shot.

Haha, thanks, I like what I've read so far
I like to hug dogs

Mesh

Quote from: SlombHaha, I like their new banner that says, "Are you a conceited fucking asshole?  Click here.  Pitchfork needs writers."  Where did Mesh go?

How's it going?  I wrote for them.  I'm now an editor there, too.

I know more about music than you and have better taste.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Mesh

Quote from: SlombI don't get it :?:

I kinda assumed you were ripping on me for being exactly the kind of conceited asshole Pitchfork was looking for.

If that wasn't your intent, sorry.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs