Why do you think you will make it in Hollywood?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, September 17, 2003, 11:00:35 AM

Thecowgoooesmooo

This thread is for the aspiring writers, directors, producers, ect.

My goal in life is to work in film, I know I'll make it, no doubt about it. I set and accomplish my goals. So I'm confident that I will write and direct at least one feature film by age 30.

But here's my question.. If you are serious about working in film in the future. Why do you think you will make it? How will you make it?

I personally believe, everyone has a unique route that they take to become, for example, a feature film director. Because the steps that you go through in life to actually direct a feature is different for everyone.

chris

SoNowThen

I'd love to be a part of the studio system, getting the resources and backing to realize my stories, but I know it will never happen. I'll have to go the indie route, with private investors and international co-productions, etc.

Simply because I must have final cut. How could I let my baby go in the hands of others who might, ten years down the road, wanna redo it with a hip-hop soundtrack? It's terrifying.

Also I have a wonderful habit of being disagreeable and shooting myself in the foot. Studio heads and money-men generally don't like this.

But I know I have to make films to survive. That's that.

I predict two features minimum by the time I'm 30.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Vile5

QuoteWhy do you think you will make it in Hollywood?

because i'm not planning work in Hollywood
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

aclockworkjj

I am just gonna rely on my real name...it's screams hollywood...well, so I have been told.  Screw any actual talent I have, (I will find a bunch of trolls to do the work for me)...it's all about lookin' good on the credits. ha!

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

BrainSushi

I don't think I'll make it in Hollywood... maybe Bollywood.

My plan is to take the indie route... I guess reading "Rebel Without a Crew" makes you just grow hate for film schools. I'll spend all my money, spend other peoples money, starve, etc, etc all for the sake of making my movie.

Yeah, I'd fail in Hollywood.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: BrainSushi"Rebel Without a Crew"
realize that is not the only book out there...thou, it makes sense at times, don't let that one book discourage you man.

cine

trying to "make it" in hollywood would suck cock. all the politics with studio execs fucking other studio execs and if you have one artsy perception and they perhaps for them its something else and then its their way or the highway and your last result is to sell your soul... thats stupid. i'd take the indie route.

but an interesting debate thats not worth making a new thread over since its mostly relevent here: would you sell your soul for hollywood? what i mean is, would you can any artsy films and just make whatever execs hand you even if you know its shit but you just want the big bucks and to be a mainstream name.. what would you choose? now don't say what I'd say, which is "i'd make the big budget pictures and then make the lower budget pictures.." like a cassavetes approach.. or soderbergh.. if you had to choose ONE way.. which one?
if i had to choose, i'd have to say the indie route... while the other way is tempting, i couldn't dare make a Slackers 2.

Ghostboy

The reason I know I'll make it is because I haven't given up yet. I, too, am aiming for two to three features by the time I'm thirty.

In response to Cinephile's question, it's something I've pondered many many times. If I got the opportunity to direct, say, the latest Rob Schneider comedy, I don't think I could do it. But when faced with the paycheck, who knows? I could take the whole thing, move back in with my parents, and make a good movie with it. And there are different levels of crap, too -- I would say yes to a horror movie like 13 Ghosts or something on that level, or the latest installment of the Friday series, or something like that. I don't know what my criteria are, I guess some crappy movies seem less demeaning than others.

But since I'm planning on taking the indie route, it's pretty much a moot point.

Weak2ndAct

Awesome, this topic is right in my wheelhouse.  
- Why do I think I'll make it?  
Because I've given myself no other options and have been working towards this for too many years to count.  I've found many acquaintances that haven't 'made it' yet, and are struggling worse than I am, are having trouble b/c they aren't 100 percent devoted.  They spend too much time going out, watching tv, playing video games, hanging out w/ significant others, etc.  Very little time spent on what they're out here for in the first place!  As for me, I still have my optomism, b/c I have had some minor successes so far, and I'm still a young lad.  Getting there slowly, but surely.
- How will you make it?
I want to direct (who doesn't), but my shorts from school weren't flashy enough to land me dick, and I knew it.  So I decided to write my way in.  I started seriously devoting my time to writing scripts the last two years of school and hustled them out there.  By no means did I write a *commercial* movie, but it got me a studio meeting about a month after moving out here, and that lead me to getting a director involved.  I got extremely lottery-ticket-winning-lucky here (so I've been told).  That director took a liking to me, and even though that movie still hasn't been set-up, he helped me get my next script out there and landed me an agent.  Which leads to question three...
- Will you sell your soul to Hollywood?
I *sort of* have already.  I needed money and wanted to avoid 'real work' at all costs, so I took a writing assignment I didn't want or like because I wanted to get the experience and money.  Nothing spectacular, but I get by... barely.  And as for directing, I'm just really working towards setting myself in a position where I can afford to wait-it-out for the indie movie I want to do myself.  In the meantime, I'll be a prostitute of sorts.

Ghostboy

That's awesome, Weak2ndAct, which leads me to a revision of my original post:

I am very open to whoring myself out as a writer. I take writing very seriously...but it's easier to overlook a screenplay for a crappy movie than direction for a crappy movie. It would be less of an indictment against my integrity...I think.

SoNowThen

I agree with the above two posts.

I'd like to do some writing for others if I could. It seems to be my strength -- the writing part of it. Too bad I have no clue how to get an agent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Teen Wolf

I guess this question depends on what your idea of "making it" is? Does it mean making the film you have always wanted to make? What if it gets turned down by all the festivals and the only person who sees it are your friends and relatives? Will you have made it? Or maybe it means succeeding in getting a lot of people to see your work? But what if it goes through the critical ringer? Will you have made it then? Surely most people on this board don't associate making it with being able to afford an expensive car. I know I don't. I'm being serious. I think the ultimate compliment would be to have a loyal following of people erect a website in your honor. No shit. For me, though, I guess making it would be to support myself financially without having to compromise my artistic integrity.

Weak2ndAct

Ghostboy: That's 100 percent what my thinking is.  It's a heck of a lot easier to take my name off/change it and hide my involvement than it is if I were the director.  Some of the stink still might be there, but it beats having the total blame on your shoulders.  The worst part though: having to lie and act like you care.  Just feels weird and crummy.  But it is good experience trying to clean up someone's mess and write something that you normally wouldn't.

SoNowThen: I wrote this somewhere else before, but my best advice about agents is: align yourself with someone who is a client at an agency, which by no means is easy to accomplish (2nd tier option-- assistants are a good 'in' as well, they're bloodthirsty and want the bump-up).  When you have someone who is making the agency money give you the thumbs up, you're off and running.  My script was sitting in an agent's pile for what seemed like an eternity, unread.  The client put the fire under everyone's ass, then I got reads.

SoNowThen

Here's the thing: agents say they don't wanna even talk to me unless I've been produced before. A few said maybe, if I have several polished scripts. Well, I have one finished script, one first draft of another, and two other in treatment stage (not including 3 shitty scripts I wrote that I don't really wanna show anybody). Working a full time job to pay bills, plus making a short film a year, plus writing a scipt doesn't leave much time for writing MULTIPLE other scripts. That's the frustrating part. Will agents listen to multiple pitches and whatnot, rather than demanding several polished scripts?

Oh the problem with all these projects is that I wanna direct them too. That could be a hitch...