Brilliance In Dialogue

Started by SoNowThen, September 11, 2003, 01:15:08 PM

SoNowThen

Big Lebowski and Glengarry Glen Ross -- doesn't get any better than this.

I suppose Swingers and Reservoir Dogs can be considered "hip" dialogue, but the top two just blow everything away.

The whole "Chinaman -- Asian American" bit in Lebowski is the pinnacle of the Coens' career...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: SoNowThenBig Lebowski

I agree with you. The dialogue is so great it's almost frightening. Also the dialogue in the limo!

You mentioned Reservoir Dogs I would rather talk about Pulpfiction. The dialogues between Travolta and Jackson are film-history.

But then again I could mention a 1000 films with fantastic dialogue. I haven't even started talking about PTA and Scorsese....

SoNowThen

Quote from: Sigur
Quote from: SoNowThenBig Lebowski

I agree with you. The dialogue is so great it's almost frightening. Also the dialogue in the limo!

"new shit has come to light"   "...privy to the new shit"

:-D
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Banky

of course Pulp Fiction

here comes one that no one is gonna like

Chasing Amy MOTHA FUCKA!

phil marlowe

your avatar shuffle forgives you.

Find Your Magali

The movie with the bunny had some dandy dialogue.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenGlengarry Glen Ross

My personal favorite.  

The dialogue is very, oh how should I say it, Mametesque as opposed to Eszterhasesque.

©brad

my favorite piece of dialogue is from that movie where the guy is all like "we've done this best of dialogue shit so many fucking times that the next guy who makes a thread about it is going to get a swift kick right in the fucking nuts." great line.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Bankyof course Pulp Fiction

here comes one that no one is gonna like

Chasing Amy MOTHA FUCKA!

I'm going to have to agree.  I think PTA films have to be mentioned as well (as if they wouldn't have on this site) and I really like Godard's writing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

Quote from: MacGuffinBilly Wilder, fuckos!

I really want to see some Billy Wilder stuff.  He is one of Cameron Crowe's idols.  Whats a good one to start on?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: MacGuffinBilly Wilder, fuckos!

I really want to see some Billy Wilder stuff.  He is one of Cameron Crowe's idols.  Whats a good one to start on?

You could always go with Some Like It Hot!
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Quote from: BankyI really want to see some Billy Wilder stuff.  He is one of Cameron Crowe's idols.  Whats a good one to start on?

For starters:
Sunset Blvd.
Double Indemnity
The Apartment
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: BankyI really want to see some Billy Wilder stuff.  He is one of Cameron Crowe's idols.  Whats a good one to start on?

For starters:
Sunset Blvd.
Double Indemnity
The Apartment

I'll rent them soon.  Thanks McG.

NEON MERCURY

Dogma............................................