what do you think the ratio of good to bad movies is?

Started by picolas, October 21, 2006, 08:33:58 PM

picolas

i say 1:27 if there are around 300 movies released each year and 14-20 could be in a top ten list.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

picolas

Chest Rockwell

I'd say picolas is about right. Not much more than 10 a year that impress me. Of course, I don't see close to every movie every year, and not even all the ones I want to see.

pete

yeah, but a good movie is different from a "top 10" movie.
- Buster Keaton

picolas

but how many movies per year would you deem good? as opposed to bad or mediocre or kind of good.

Kal

There is really like 400-500 movies released per year in the United States... 5-10 are good, 10-20 are worth watching, 20-30 are guilty pleasures or maybe something to do on a boring Sunday afternoon... the rest total garbage

modage

most of this is maybe about right but i also think it really changes year to year.  or the scale on which you measure good changes depending on the overall quality of that year.  so things that might not make a Top 10 in a year with really great stuff ends up being your favorite film in a crappier year.  some years the good is great, and some years its just good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

separating them into year is arbitrary.

to make a ratio i guess you can think of a sample cluster, but why limit yourself to what comes out in one particular year when you know from the very start that's inaccurate.. the existence of 1999 instantly refutes that approach.

my first reaction to this question is "who cares?" it's not like anyone remembers every movie ever made. on one level you have films that get a theatrical run, they're pretty easy to calculate, but how many of those are forgotten instantly by the public and critics alike, never to be mentioned again? they might as well hav never existed. then there's all the foreign or independent films that only show at art houses or festivals for a week. so many good films remain underrated or undiscovered. and when you add to that the guilty pleasures we all have, i think the ratio is even more optimistic.

i don't know what the ratio is. the good are obviously outnumbered..

enter ono: "..but never outgunned." [gallops off into the sunset]

enter future archaeologists, raiders of lost forums, looking for ono posts: "that's deep man."
under the paving stones.

pete

yeah statistically this thread is horrible and it first assumes that people have seen every movie ever made in each given year and then secondly it assumes that only what people have seen can be considered "good" while the rest of the movies that come out are garbage.  you have to be really bad at math and really good at making pretentious assumptions to make this thread work, BUT
that's why we're here baby, this is just another excuse for me to feel snobby and above everything as I make my b-action movies (which are GREAT by the way!) and struggle.
- Buster Keaton

Kal

One thing that I always think of is how some overrated some old movies are, and now they are taken in very high regard just because they are old. In the other hand, many movies that are made today and are good or OK are considered bad and often critized to death. But I was thinking there is a possibility that if some Kubrick, Hitchcock, Godard, Fellini, etc films would come out today... we would still have a lot of people in Xixax talking trash about them and comparing them to some other film made in 1964. Anyone get my point? (If it makes any sense?)

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: kal on October 23, 2006, 09:55:01 PM
One thing that I always think of is how some overrated some old movies are, and now they are taken in very high regard just because they are old. In the other hand, many movies that are made today and are good or OK are considered bad and often critized to death. But I was thinking there is a possibility that if some Kubrick, Hitchcock, Godard, Fellini, etc films would come out today... we would still have a lot of people in Xixax talking trash about them and comparing them to some other film made in 1964. Anyone get my point? (If it makes any sense?)

no way, not with the departed being overpraised like scarlet johanson's nude centerfolds.  average people do genuflect over older movies, but you're talking about an internet forum where every other person is just looking for another chance to feel snobby.  Also--directors like hitchcock and godard have always received harsh reviews from certain peoples, through the times.
- Buster Keaton