16mm vs miniDV

Started by metroshane, February 28, 2004, 08:20:24 PM

metroshane

OK, I was originally planning on doing my feature on miniDV with the mini35 adaptor.  Mainly for cost effectiveness.  

However a guy I know is begging me to let him shoot my film on 16mm and he'll provide all of the cameras (he has more than one) and very nice prime lenses (some of which stop down to .96) for free if I buy the film.  

Here's the rub...the guy is a complete jerk...can I deal with it long enough to get the project done...will it ruin my experience?  Also, what can I expect to pay for film/processing/transfer on a 91 min shooting 3:1?   Pro8mm.com has a package for about $5100.  Is that competitive?

Take off all of the film snob/purists hats and on a practical level...which would be better?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

Is that 5100 dollar package for approx. 5 hours of 16mm film, including processing and telecine? If so, that's a pretty good deal. If you get film from Kodak, with a student discount, it'll be about 120 bucks for a 400 ft. reel (approx. 10 minutes), give or take some depending on the stock. Processing and telecine will usually end up costing you a little less (or a little more) than the amount you spent on the film in the first place.

The problem is that if you have to work with someone you don't like to shoot on film, it's not worth it. If you can get a really good DP who you enjoy working with, and you're going to use a mini35 on an XL-1, I think the pluses of that situation (fun, good working environment, awesome lenses, less expensive) far outweigh the minuses (miniDV).

I've personally found that working on films with people I don't like is sort of toxic, especially when no pay is involved.

mutinyco

Yeah. No point in going 16mm if it's gonna cost more and you don't like the DP.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

metroshane

Thanks...that's the resolution I'm coming to also.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

SoNowThen

Out of curiosity, how much is the 35mm adaptor to rent? Or do you own it?

And how much better is the quality than, say, getting the EOS adaptor (which is much cheaper), and using those lenses?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

metroshane

The only place in Dallas that has the adaptor charges about $180/day.  Of course then you have about $40 per lens, etc.

Well the pro35 isn't just an adaptor.  It projects the image on a 35mm plane (which gives it some, not all, 35mm properties) which is then picked up by the camera chip.