a boring but necessary question

Started by KingBlackDeath, July 25, 2003, 01:16:15 AM

KingBlackDeath

I currently use Vegas to edit. I like it (although I've never used a different one) but it makes me mad because it takes 10% of the picture off when you watch it on a TV, so things get cut off. I'm about to get a new computer and start my first "real" project and I was curious if other programs do this too OR if there are any Vegas users who know how to stop this from happening? and just WHAT is the big difference between the two?
thanks

p.s. this really isn't just another "which program should I use?" question but more about this stuff
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Ghostboy

Is it taking a the 10% from one side in particular, or is every side a little off? If it's the latter, don't worry about it -- that's the overscan area. Every video has a little extra space around the edges that doesn't show up on TV screens, but will show up on your monitor when you're editing (most editing programs have guides of some sort to show what'll be cut off).

aclockworkjj

Quote from: BigBadDeathit takes 10% of the picture off when you watch it on a TV, so things get cut off.

I don't use Vegas...but why does it do that?......not to ask a dumb question, but it's not an aspect ratio thing is it....I mean, it's not like you shot it in 16x9 and it's just not masked...right?

mutinyco

It's called a TV safe zone. The edges of anything you shoot in 1.33 are going to get lopped off on all sides. Think of it as the crust.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: GhostboyIs it taking a the 10% from one side in particular, or is every side a little off? If it's the latter, don't worry about it -- that's the overscan area. Every video has a little extra space around the edges that doesn't show up on TV screens, but will show up on your monitor when you're editing (most editing programs have guides of some sort to show what'll be cut off).

Exactly right. To help frame in your camera, hook up your camera to your TV set... then notice the parts that get cut off... then draw some lines on your viewfinder to indicate where the image gets cut off. This will save you trouble later on.

Nick

mutinyco

Probably the most pragmatic approach would be to simply keep clear of the extreme edges. If you know the edges are going to get blocked off just don't put anything important there. You can do it by eye -- just imagine the frame is slightly smaller.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe