PDL Blu-Ray

Started by modage, April 24, 2009, 12:11:39 PM

modage

Exclusive: PTA Working on 'Punch-Drunk' Blu-ray
Source: Cinematical

Wednesday afternoon Sony Pictures Home Entertainment hosted a small group of journalists and industry insiders at an event promoting the forthcoming release of The Da Vinci Code Extended Cut 2-Disc Set. In addition to providing display stations to demonstrate how consumers can register their Blu-rays in order to earn points towards free Sony merchandise, as well as participate in BD-Live bonus features, a handful of executives were on hand to discuss some of the upcoming releases to be offered by the studio – including Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love.

Following a formal presentation, I had a chance to talk briefly with SPHE Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Lexine Wong, who used Anderson's tribute to Adam Sandler as an example of their commitment to working with filmmakers for the best possible content and presentation on their discs. "When it comes to the picture quality, I think we're purists about that," Wong said. "Depending on the film, we work with the talent quite a bit. We're looking at a couple of films right now with different talent. Like Punch-Drunk Love, for instance. Paul Thomas Anderson has been working on restoring the master. It's been taking a while and he's sitting through it and it's his eye and his direction on what that master is supposed to look like in high definition."

Wong didn't confirm a release date, but she indicated that the mastering process was finished and they were now determining what extras would be included on the Blu-ray. "As soon as it was done, we got a call from the post group and Paul Thomas saying, 'okay, it's done.'" She continued. "Now, what are we going to do, right? So we have legacy added-value that we can up-res; maybe we have to take [another] look at the source material and start again. So it just depends on the product, but we do work with the talent a lot and at the end of the day, we stay true to what the original source was."

The original two-disc release featured only a few extras, including Philip Seymour Hoffman's hilarious "mattress man" commercial, and a gallery of the beautiful Jeremy Blake artwork used as interstitials in the film. Sadly, Blake committed suicide in 2007, but the forthcoming Blu-ray might be an opportunity for Anderson to discuss the significance of the artist's work on the film, and deconstruct the intersection of his own storytelling with Blake's moving, hypnotic and gorgeous installations. It also goes without saying that his fans would love a full commentary track, as Anderson declined to record them for both Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

That's great news, but it just seems wrong that this goes to blu-ray before Boogie Nights or Magnolia.  And you've gotta love the way the article teased a commentary track, based on nothing but wishful thinking.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

Yeeeeeeeeheeeee hawww
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

depooter

I'm hearing July 14th.....a tie in with Sandler's new film Funny People.........

Marty McSuperfly

According to Walmart's website and Blu-Ray.com PDL will be hitting shops on September 15, 2009...

ono

That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  Anyone else know the story?

polkablues

It makes me sad that we still have to wait for the PTA back catalog in high def (not to mention Jurassic Park and Back to the Future), but "Ninth Gate", the third-worst movie I've ever seen, sits on the Blu Ray shelves as we speak.
My house, my rules, my coffee

john

Quote from: polkablues on September 12, 2009, 02:49:06 PM
It makes me sad that we still have to wait for the PTA back catalog in high def (not to mention Jurassic Park and Back to the Future), but "Ninth Gate", the third-worst movie I've ever seen, sits on the Blu Ray shelves as we speak.

Damn. Ninth Gate might not be vintage Polanski, but it's not even one of the three worst films I own.

I'm with you on the HD-PTA impatience, though.

Quote from: ono on September 12, 2009, 02:38:25 PM
That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  Anyone else know the story?

Probably the same as with Wholphin waiting on the Jon Brion pilot... or Anderson's Largo footage. Hopefully. I'd prefer laziness on PTA's part rather than studio indifference.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.