Roger Avary

Started by j_scott_stroup04, January 12, 2004, 09:58:16 PM

SoNowThen

Hey, maybe after this, Avery can make the sequel doc to Glitterati, about Kip's many trips to private medical clinics to treat all his new std's...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Q&A

Roger Avary

Interview by Rosanna Greenstreet
Saturday January 24, 2004
The Guardian

Roger Avary was born in Canada in 1965 and grew up in the US. He briefly attended art school, then worked at a video store in California during the 1980s.  

He became friends with fellow employee Quentin Tarantino and the pair began to collaborate on screenplays. He is currently working on an adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis's novel Glamorama.
With which historical figure do you most identify?
Salvador Dalí - he was not just about the work, he was the work.

Which living person do you most admire?
Michael Bay, my ultimate enemy.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I reveal too much of myself.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Hypocrisy.

What is your greatest extravagance?
Video games. I own every console system of importance that was ever created.

What makes you depressed?
Not working.

What is your most unappealing habit?
Picking my nose.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My family, the single most important thing I've ever been a part of.

What keeps you awake at night?
My dreams: I dream very vividly.

Should the royal family be scrapped?
Wouldn't it be exciting if there were some Shakespearian-style palace intrigue that involved Prince Harry seizing the throne by force, placing all who opposed him in a dungeon, and returning Britain to a true monarchy?

Do you believe in capital punishment?
No - but I do believe in revenge.

When and where were you happiest?
On the set of my films.

How do you relax?
I restore vintage Atari XY arcade video game machines.

What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
Greater freedom.

How would you like to die?
By going supernova and then collapsing into a black hole. I could then spend eternity sucking in everything that approaches my event horizon.

How would you like to be remembered?
By my children, wife and parents. Their recollections of me are the only truth that matters.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
That cynicism is optimism. That isms aren't to be taken seriously.
context, context, context.

ono

Roger Avary may not make the greatest films, but he seems like one cool guy.  And gives great interviews.  Thanks, chuck.

©brad

couldn't seem to find the rules of attraction thread, but anywhoooo--

okay, caught rules of attraction on hbo the other day. can someone please tell me the name of the song that plays after sean bateman tries to kill himself and he lights a joint and finds the fake blood in his drawer. it goes something like "...could be worng....i could be right. kinda sounds like the talking heads but i'm not sure.

anyway, thanks a bunch to whoever can do this for me!  :-D

cine

Quote from: ©bradcouldn't seem to find the rules of attraction thread, but anywhoooo--

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=563

I'd post it there too so more people see it.  :)

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradokay, caught rules of attraction on hbo the other day. can someone please tell me the name of the song that plays after sean bateman tries to kill himself and he lights a joint and finds the fake blood in his drawer. it goes something like "...could be worng....i could be right. kinda sounds like the talking heads but i'm not sure.

"Rise"  by P.I.L. Public Image Limited (that's Johnny Rotten singing)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ©bradokay, caught rules of attraction on hbo the other day. can someone please tell me the name of the song that plays after sean bateman tries to kill himself and he lights a joint and finds the fake blood in his drawer. it goes something like "...could be worng....i could be right. kinda sounds like the talking heads but i'm not sure.

"Rise"  by P.I.L. Public Image Limited (that's Johnny Rotten singing)

love yah buddy!

Ultrahip

does anyone know what happened to his website?

MacGuffin

Pair fall into 'Black Hole'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Roger Avery and Neil Gaiman are writing "Black Hole," a horror romance story that Alexandre Aja will direct for Paramount Pictures. MTV Films, Plan B and Kevin Messick are producing. "Black Hole" is a 12-issue comic book painstakingly written and illustrated by Charles Burns over a 10-year period that deals with fear of adulthood, sex and ostracism. When the work was finally completed last year, it was collected into a graphic novel, which garnered great acclaim and was in Entertainment Weekly's top 10 works of fiction for the year. The story follows a group of high school students whose lives are altered drastically when they come in contact with a sexually transmitted disease called the "teen plague" or "the bug."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Avary Skips Trip to Silent Hill 2
Source: ShockTilYouDrop

If the fog rolls in over the town of Silent Hill again, it will be without screenwriter Roger Avary. The scribe credited for Pulp Fiction, Killing Zoe and the Brett Easton Ellis adaptation The Rules of Attraction brought the video game world of the "Silent Hill" series to atmospheric life in last year's film directed by Christophe Gans.

But in talking with Shock on the Paramount lot about his upcoming collaboration with Neil Gaiman and Robert Zemeckis, Beowulf, he reveals, "I'm not gonna do Silent Hill 2," a pause, maybe to renege on that comment, then an assured, "If Christophe's not gonna do it, I'm not..."

Then that settles that. When we had spoken to producer Don Carmody (here), he hinted that Gans was similarly too busy with other work and didn't appear interested in following up his "Hill" film. This doesn't mean the sequel was dead, however, a new installment will progress without the director and writer.

Meanwhile, Avary's take on the spooky Dan Brereton comic book "The Nocturnals" is still trying to find some life. "I'm seeing Dan [Brereton] next week - he's going to be at Comic-Con," Avary says. "I'd love to see that made. I actually gave the comics to [Beowulf producer] Jeff Rapke and was like, 'Check this out, this is the shit!'" Needless to say, "Nocturnals" fans will have to patiently wait a bit longer before they see Doc Horror, Halloween Girl and, more importantly, Gunwitch, on the big screen.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hadida storms 'Castle' rights
Avary attached to write, direct
Source: Variety

Producer Samuel Hadida has secured the rights to the vidgame "Return to Castle Wolfenstein," with Roger Avary attached to write and direct the adaptation of the ID Software property.

Project reteams Avary with Hadida after he penned company's horror pic "Silent Hill."

The WWII-set "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" revolves around U.S. Army Ranger B.J. Blazkowicz, who leads a team of agents into Castle Wolfenstein in order to investigate the Nazis' SS Paranormal Division. Project had previously been set up with Mark Gordon at Sony before the rights to the game reverted back to ID Software.

Hadida's becoming a prolific producer of vidgame adaptations, with "Resident Evil: Extinction," the third installment in the franchise, bowing Sept. 21. Last year, he produced the horror pic "Silent Hill," based on the game. A sequel's planned. He also has "Onimusha" in the works with Christophe Gans attached to direct.

Avary most recently adapted Robert Zemeckis' take on "Beowulf," which Paramount opens Nov. 16. He previously penned "Pulp Fiction," "The Rules of Attraction" and "Killing Zoe."

"I've been playing the character of B.J. Blazkowicz since the epic 'Wolfenstein 3D' first bruised my brain and have ever since wanted to bring his adventures to life on the bigscreen," Avary said. "It's time to bust some dams, storm some bunkers and blow up some bridges."

ID Software's other titles include the first-person shooters "Doom" and "Quake." Another "Wolfenstein" game is in development.

Davis Films also has "Solomon Kane" set up with Michael Bassett to directand "Killing Suki Flood," with Louis-Pascal Couvelaire helming.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Roger Avary Ready To Storm 'Castle Wolfenstein'
Source: MTV

If you're Roger Avary, you must have one hell of an address book - his lauded screenwriting collaborators include fan favorites Quentin Tarantino ("Pulp Fiction") and Neil Gaiman (November's "Beowulf"). For his next project, however, Avary will act alone as writer and director for the first time since 2002's eyebrow-raising ensemble drama "The Rules of Attraction."

"I'm doing an adaptation of the [video] game 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein,'" Avary enthused, referring to a gaming institution whose sequels evolved from a seminal 1981 Commodore 64 game. "I just love the World War II guys-on-a-mission movies; to me, 'Castle Wolfenstein' is all of that, plus monsters and horror and all that craziness jammed together. It's my dream film."

2001's "Return" was a groundbreaking first-person shooter depicting an American military agent with a mission to infiltrate a Nazi stronghold. Once inside, the character found himself discovering the truths behind rumors of paranormal research on reanimated corpses, biotechnology, and secret weapons. Think "The Dirty Dozen" meets "Resident Evil."

Avary wouldn't disclose which stars will be storming the castle — but not because he's being secretive, just because he doesn't know yet. "I haven't begun the casting process," he teased. "I have people in my head, but I don't want to jinx it." Fair enough.

As Tarantino junkies know all too well, Avary's former writing partner has been trying to complete his own guys-on-a-mission flick, entitled "Inglorious Bastards," for nearly a decade. With that project now taking on the unwanted status of moviedom's "Chinese Democracy," it seems as though Avary will beat Tarantino onto the battlefield.

"Depending on what happens with the strike, I [could] be shooting it next year," Avary revealed, promising that casting announcements should be emerging soon.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 01, 2007, 12:46:36 AM
"I'm doing an adaptation of the [video] game 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein,'" Avary enthused

Avary = Uwe Boll?

ElPandaRoyal

And the truth is... "Silent Hill" sucked ass in a huge way. Of course, with him directing, it could be somewhat entertaining, but c'mon... the guy who co-wrote "Pulp Fiction" (regardless of what his role on that script was) and made "The Rules of Attraction" is way too good for this shit...
Si

MacGuffin

'Pulp Fiction' screenwriter arrested after crash

VENTURA, Calif. -- Oscar-winning screenwriter Roger Avary was arrested Sunday on suspicion of manslaughter and driving under the influence after a Ventura County car crash that killed a man and injured Avary's wife, authorities said.

Avary, 42, was the driver in the single-car collision shortly after midnight in Ojai, said Captain Ross Bonfiglio of the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.

Killed in the accident was Andreas Zini, 34, a resident of Italy who was apparently visiting the couple.

Avary's wife Gretchen, 40, was ejected from the car and found in the road by deputies, Bonfiglio said. She was hospitalized in stable condition.

Avary was booked but later released on $50,000 bail, Bonfiglio said. He did not know whether Avary has hired an attorney.

Avary won an Academy Award for writing "Pulp Fiction," and recently co-wrote the epic "Beowulf." He and his wife live in Ojai, a popular artists' colony and tourist destination 14 miles north of Ventura.

Skeleton FilmWorks