Roger Ebert

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 11:33:11 AM

Ravi

Quote from: matt35mm on December 04, 2005, 05:10:01 PM
And Ebert certainly doesn't hate all Lynch movies; he loves many of them as well.

I think the only ones he liked were Mulholland Drive (we all know why) and The Straight Story.

matt35mm

Quote from: Ravi on December 04, 2005, 06:01:12 PM
And Ebert certainly doesn't hate all Lynch movies; he loves many of them as well.

I think the only ones he liked were Mulholland Drive (we all know why) and The Straight Story.
I can only find 5 reviews on his site.  2 out of 5 isn't too bad, considering those 2 are 4-star reviews.

I wonder what he thinks of Eraserhead.

JG

I can think of plenty of movies he loved or even liked that i hated . 

i love him, personally.  but even if you disagree with him, you can't not respect him.  he's an exceptional writer.  and very witty. 

Gold Trumpet

This board definitely moves in waves. I haven't seen this much love to Ebert in a while.

SHAFTR

In the case of Blue Velvet, he disliked that it mistreated/exploited Rosellini, which is what he saw in it.  That's not what I see when I watch the movie, but if it really were, I would have given it a negative review as well.

The difference is, I don't think it was a simple-minded response to those movies.  So, I'm just trying to say that I don't think Ebert is a simple-minded critic, whether or not I agree with him on everything (and that would be simple-minded of me if I did agree with him on everything).  I would at least give him that.

I had an uneasy feeling after watching Blue Velvet (I didn't really like it much).  I read Ebert's reviews and found that my feelings to that film were similiar to his.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: matt35mm on December 04, 2005, 06:29:40 PM
Quote from: Ravi on December 04, 2005, 06:01:12 PM

I can only find 5 reviews on his site.  2 out of 5 isn't too bad, considering those 2 are 4-star reviews.

I wonder what he thinks of Eraserhead.

i thought that there was a post on here about ebert apologizing for being an idiot and dissing blue velvet...he later gave the film props and said something to the effect of  "blue velvet was so far ahead of its time i didnt know what to think of it so i felt bad for the eyetalian chick and so i said it sucked"....but now ebert likes it.

and yes matt, if you dont like lynches movies you ARE an idiot. :yabbse-grin:

Alethia

Pubrick

Quote from: eward on December 18, 2005, 12:14:09 PM
are you fucking kidding me??   
it's alrite. remember Monster? yeah, neither does anyone.

he's given a lot of good movies credit tho.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

I'm going to think that because he's always been a sucker for films about racism, that's why Crash is first. New World is way at the bottom. And he calls "Wallace and Gromit" one of the most delightful films ever made. Such a hyperbolic statement makes one wonder why it wasn't in his top ten then. And the idea that there's this nine ten page thread for Ebert is  ridiculous, I mean as the top American critic, he often makes little sense, I rarely agree with him, and it would probably as deserving for Jo Blo to share this title. Speaking of, I haven't been there in a while, I'm gonna check it out.
WWPTAD?

Pas

Quote from: Gamblour on December 18, 2005, 12:24:27 PM
I'm going to think that because he's always been a sucker for films about racism, that's why Crash is first. New World is way at the bottom. And he calls "Wallace and Gromit" one of the most delightful films ever made. Such a hyperbolic statement makes one wonder why it wasn't in his top ten then. And the idea that there's this nine ten page thread for Ebert is  ridiculous, I mean as the top American critic, he often makes little sense, I rarely agree with him, and it would probably as deserving for Jo Blo to share this title. Speaking of, I haven't been there in a while, I'm gonna check it out.

Haha totally. Ebert has a real problem with exagaration. One of the most delightful movie ever made isn't in the top ten while one of the most annoying movie is first.

JG

Quote from: Pubrick on December 18, 2005, 12:22:55 PM
he's given a lot of good movies credit tho.

Right.  I mean it's great to see "Me, You, and Everyone We Know."   But Syriana and Crash are the two most overrated movies of the year.  I usually love Ebert but this weak is list. 

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Gamblour on December 18, 2005, 12:24:27 PM
I'm going to think that because he's always been a sucker for films about racism, that's why Crash is first.

I think it's because he has a boner for ensemble films as well but it's the same difference.  I could deal with him putting Crash in the top 10 - we knew it was going to happen - but number 1... I'm done with Ebert.  Siskel wouldn't have fallen for that bullshit.

pete

I also think Ebert has a real weak spot for movies with some type of political or religious message, I mean, aside from movies that are really really bloated like the Kevin Spacey one, he'll usually go along with political movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 18, 2005, 03:28:33 PM
but this weak is list. 

ftw?

Ebert did say one interesting thing about Crash, that today's racism is transcendent and every race is affected. it's just an obvious thing that I knew but really didn't think about.

WWPTAD?