Nirvana

Started by Spike, September 08, 2003, 06:27:10 AM

i'm way too late to get into nirvana,  the amount of boring fans they had always alienated me from the music, but i got ahold of the 6 albums that matter and right now i'm listening to bleach. now i can listen to these dudes without any prejudice.   to be honest all  of this is because of Last Days, i want it to be very good, but so far i'm liking them.
context, context, context.

mogwai

Nirvana's 1991 record Nevermind has been voted the most overrated album of all time by BBC 6 Music listeners.

Presenter Andrew Collins, a Nirvana fan, announced the results on Saturday, calling everyone who had voted for the Seattle grunge band's record "mad".

Coldplay's X&Y came second in the survey, followed by The Libertines' self-titled second album at three.

6 Music's Ric Blaxill said the poll had given the digital station's listeners the chance to "address the hyperbole".

"These results may upset Nirvana's legion of loyal fans," he added.

"But it goes without saying that one person's overrated album will be another's film favourite."

Albums by such established bands as Oasis, U2, Radiohead and the Beatles also feature in the Top 10.

Listeners were invited to submit their nominations, which were whittled down to a shortlist of 10 and put to a public vote.

"I'm surprised to see Coldplay's X&Y at number two," continued Me Blaxill, who attributed the band's high placing in the chart to "the influence of extensive media coverage".

"This poll has given our listeners the opportunity to tell us what they really think."

'MOST OVERRATED ALBUMS'
1. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. Coldplay - X&Y
3. The Libertines - The Libertines
4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
5. U2 - The Joshua Tree
6. Radiohead - OK Computer
7. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
8. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
9. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
10. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Source: BBC 6 Music

matt35mm

The Coldplay thing is just retarded.  It was released a few months ago... and the general response, even from fans, was that it wasn't their best.  How did it get overrated?

Maybe the buzz on it in England is entirely different.  Or just too much media coverage in England that the crowds started to turn on them.

jazzjune

^- the top 10 most overrated albums as voted by the BBC. = bull crap.

If you listen to Nevermind now, sure it may sound overrated to some people... but they seem to forget what happened in 1991.

Another reason I know that list is bullshit is because 'ok computer' isn't number 1.
be quiet and drive

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Because it's overrated doesn't mean it isn't good.

I haven't met anyone who didn't like OK Computer, unless they hated Radiohead to be different.  Nirvana's Nevermind may have defined a generation, but it was a pretty weak album.  Beatles defined a generation, but they became consistent with their albums.  If Nirvana were to release Nevermind now, who'd give a shit?  (Aside from Kurt coming back from the dead and their droves of fans worshipping him with more proof that he may be a messiah)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: jazzwalrusBecause it's overrated doesn't mean it isn't good.

I haven't met anyone who didn't like OK Computer, unless they hated Radiohead to be different.  Nirvana's Nevermind may have defined a generation, but it was a pretty weak album.  Beatles defined a generation, but they became consistent with their albums.  If Nirvana were to release Nevermind now, who'd give a shit?  (Aside from Kurt coming back from the dead and their droves of fans worshipping him with more proof that he may be a messiah)

I have to agree.  

Quote from: jazzjuneIf you listen to Nevermind now, sure it may sound overrated to some people... but they seem to forget what happened in 1991.

I remember 1991.  They were overrated then too.  In Utero is a much better album anyway.

Quote from: jazzjuneAnother reason I know that list is bullshit is because 'ok computer' isn't number 1.

Quote from: modagei will fight you.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Nirvana: Unplugged In New York was totally amazing, though.... though it was mostly covers.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai
'MOST OVERRATED ALBUMS'
1. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. Coldplay - X&Y
3. The Libertines - The Libertines
4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
5. U2 - The Joshua Tree
6. Radiohead - OK Computer Kid A
7. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
8. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds  
9. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
10. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Source: BBC 6 Music

other than that it's a great list.  nirvana sucks

Alethia

nirvana most definitely does not suck.

mogwai

Nirvana documentary 'brings Kurt to life'

Film tells Cobain's story - in his own words.

A new Nirvana documentary is in the making - one which will be narrated by Kurt Cobain himself.

Film makers were in the singer's home town of Aberdeen, Washington recently to start work on a documentary about Cobain.

However in a unique twist the singer himself will narrate the film, with producers using more than 25 hours of interview tapes recorded by journalist Michael Azerrad between December 1992 and March 1993.

Azerrad is most famous for his Nirvana biography 'Come As You Are', which is regarded as one of the most authoratitive books on the band.

"The film is based on a series of interviews that Michael Azerrad conducted with Kurt while researching the book. There are more than 25 hours of these audio interviews in all, none of which have been heard before by anyone," director AJ Schnack told NME.COM.

"I worked with Michael to cull an approximately 95-minute audio track from these interviews. While I'm not sure that 'narrated' is exactly the right word, you will be listening in on conversations between Kurt and Michael, with Kurt telling his life story for that book. There are no additional interviews with other figures from Kurt's life, just Kurt speaking, with an occasional question or comment from Michael."

The other members of Nirvana are not involved with the currently untitled film, which is set to be screened at various film festivals next autumn.

Schnack added: "It pretty much covers his whole life leading-up to the interviews with the emphasis being more on him and his general take on things rather than on general band developments. We're not using any archival footage at all. The music will focus on bands that influenced Kurt during the various stages of his life. It's unclear what part, if any, Nirvana music may play in the finished film."

Myxo

Nirvana made being EMO "cool". :|

I don't think we'd have bands like "Deathcab for Cutie" without them.

http://emosong.ytmnd.com/

Pozer

hedwig