INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Lottery

Man, those posters are the greatest. The colours are incredible. The last one looks like a scopitone.

Something Spanish

P Heat

So glad I get to see a screening for this on Monday and I can't wait. I'm contemplating if I should watch it high and enjoy the ride, considering it's been said it's already hard to follow as it is.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Drenk

Q. Film and film references figure so much throughout his novels. Yet they seem unfilmable.

A. Well, I started out on [Pynchon's novel] "Vineland," thinking maybe I can do this, though I never really tried too hard. But having gone through ["Inherent Vice"], I looked at "Vineland" again and now I know how to do it. The point is, after wrestling with what he writes, and just being in a position where you've got to get this 400-page novel down to a 2½-hour movie, the answers just presented themselves. Good writing is good writing. It's a pleasure to work with that stuff — and it's just painful cutting stuff out. What's problematic is having stuff where the material is thin and you have to pad, not the other way around. If I had a couple more lifetimes, I'd try to do [Pynchon's novels] "Mason & Dixon" — and "Against the Day," what a movie that would make, if you could get the scale for it.

Q. The ultimate HBO miniseries.

A. Right, exactly.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2015/01/03/paul-thomas-anderson-tackles-inherent-vice/O2JKZbDzBTd81nr78uyAEI/story.html?event=event25
Ascension.

Axolotl

Quote from: Drenk on January 04, 2015, 09:28:48 AM
If I had a couple more lifetimes, I'd try to do [Pynchon's novels] "Mason & Dixon" — and "Against the Day," what a movie that would make, if you could get the scale for it.

Q. The ultimate HBO miniseries.

A. Right, exactly.
Quote from: Axolotl on March 06, 2014, 02:51:08 PM
He'll write and direct an HBO miniseries.

It will be an adaptation of Against the Day.
He's been dropping references to the book both in The Master and in the press shit he did for it. It'll be the best thing ever

And it will never happen.

Nor should it. It's nice to fantasize about though. Touching any of his other books for adaptation is a bad idea, except maybe Lot 49 if someone good wants to take a shot at it.

Edit:individual sections are a goldmine though. I'd throw all my money at Don Hertzfeldt's Byron the Bulb

jenkins

maybe he'll direct an episode of dancing with the stars next year, you know, how can i know? i just want to point out that pta said movie and it was the interviewer who had the same fountain of excitement about tv that so many do, and pta wasn't gonna wrestle him. pta said movie

Axolotl

I edited something. Also it's a word. People count Berlin Alexanderplatz and Scenes from a Marriage as tv shows and it doesn't degrade them.

jenkins

Quote from: jenkins<3 on December 10, 2014, 02:43:55 AM
pta appreciating qt and 35mm nerds, an instagram video i found when i searched tonight's new bev screening:

Axolotl

And I recall you recently saying how backwards this 35mm fixation is and how filmmakers will be buried with their reels and the funeral will be seen on TV. If someone wants to make an 8 hour movie and have people actually watch, i don't see how it violates cinema's supposed sanctity.

jenkins

yeah. he could direct hbo tomorrow. showtime. fx. aren't there like eight tv channels now, in the future? my point is pta's mind was on movies, and the interviewer's mind was on tv. we simply don't live in an age where the guy became enthusiastic about imagining a trilogy of movies around mason & dixon, what about five movies around against the day? wouldn't that be something? that's an exciting idea. i've heard of people going on to make tv shows because that's what people expect these days and alright, but i hope that pta is in this to find a fight of his own for a thing that some of us do care about. the theater is my sweet cosmic longtime partner, that's where i want to be, and living rooms scare me. that's what i'm saying

Axolotl

Tictacbk

Disagree.  If PTA is given the chance to do whatever he wants for 8 hours on HBO he'd be crazy not to take it.  Get with the times, man!  I'm not saying that's going to happen, but every thing he makes is a gift, and I don't want him fighting any fights that result in less opportunity for him to put out content.

jenkins

look,

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 04, 2015, 11:27:17 AM
i've heard of people going on to make tv shows because that's what people expect these days and alright

that was established as a possibility, so you're saying it's beyond even your imagination to picture anything outside of tv. that scares me

Tictacbk

I'm not saying it's beyond my imagination at all.  I suspect PT will continue only making films.  What I'm saying is, if he's given the opportunity to do something like write/direct an HBO Limited Series, he shouldn't fight it just because it will be consumed on a television.  No matter what he creates in the future, it's probably mostly going to be consumed on a TV anyways.  And you probably don't have to worry either, someone like Cinefamily will probably find a way to screen everything he makes for the rest of his life in a theater at some point too.  And it will be awesome.  Because as long as he's making stuff it will be awesome.

jenkins

i definitely think a person or two here will agree with you about pta being awesome and i'm not sure what the topic is anymore. i know you like tv. i know you like pta. and that's a wrap