Westside Story

Started by MoosethePR, February 27, 2004, 06:10:49 PM

Henry Hill

just like the danny kaye number in White Christmas. the one about the theater. totally unnecessary.

ono

modage

Quote from: filmboy70just like the danny kaye number in White Christmas. the one about the theater. totally unnecessary.
haha, "the minstrel show."  good call. i think the extended gene kelly bits were called "ballet"s.  whatever THAT is.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

hey dont' start that troll shit cos this is the first time i've made a real attack on anyone's blatant ignorance. if u want substance check out the 21 Grams thread if u can get ur head around it, don' talk to me about contributing intelligence.

maybe i was tactless in my pointing out where ur argument failed miserably, but everyone is excused an outburst now and then, don't hav to get defensive just cos i'm right.

anyway like u said, if it's all beside the point why even bring it up? if u don't know enuff about sumthing to discuss it like a normal person don't even mention it, cos all u do is let ppl know that u dont' appreciate great art.

every single story is stupid when u break it down, that's what stories are, mundane series of events. the beauty is bringing it to life with song/dance/language and imbuing substance to an otherwise empty vessel.

for the record, i'm partial to Singing in the Rain cos of childhood memories, but i'm growing to appreciate West Side Story much more for the reasons GT stated.
under the paving stones.

ono

Just in case anyone is wondering, I edited my post because I didn't want to start any shit.  Bottom line is, you're assuming I'm ignorant, and all I'm going to say to that is you misunderstood my post because I wasn't clear when I was taking GT's appreciation of WSS and applying it to Singin' in the Rain.  That's not ignorance, but a lapse of memory for what is one of Shakespeare's weaker works, and that, along with the teacher I had when I studied it, is why I didn't care to remember too much of it.  I probably should've looked it up to refresh my memory, though, but I'll take Hamlet any day.  That is all.

Pubrick

great, i replied anyway. hopefully my point was clear.

done.
under the paving stones.

modage

good.  now can we all just agree the minstrel show sucked?  *(holds hands with everyone and begins to sing "we are the world...")
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

To make the case known, when I fault the story in West Side Story, I am not faulting Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet is one of his more convential works, yes, but the problem with West Side Story is that it dumbs down Romeo and Juliet to the language complexity fit for 13 year old boys living in the 1950s and with stale acting from all the actors to express it.

Also, as much as all those Gene Kelly dance sequences don't "fit" into the movies, I'd never remove them. Kelly is supplying entertainment and they are too damn entertaining to take out. Just pointing out that artistically, even if they are lots of fun, they'd be disposable.

MoosethePR