Blind Buys

Started by ono, May 31, 2003, 12:42:56 AM

RegularKarate

Yeah... I can't really afford blind buys either... it would be wasteful really.  

And as far as DVD not being a rentable medium, you must not have tried Netflix... I have never had a scratched disk and they carry most titles I've thrown at them.

In my current financial state, I have to really like a movie to buy it.  If I just kind of want to own it, I'll rent it from Netflix and burn a copy.

Ravi

I bought Ghost World, Hard Eight, Reefer Madness, Fearless Hyena, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and Visions of Light sight unseen.  RM and FH were about $6 each, so even if I didn't like them, no big deal.  Still haven't watched FH yet.  I don't regret any of the purchases, though I haven't watched RM more than once.

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteI've bought quite a few blind DVDs -- mostly Criterion. The best one would have to be Last Temptation Of Christ. One of the most consistently satisfying films I've owned.

I blind buy allot also, in fact if most of you guys recommend it I am first out to best buy to pick it up. I don't rent anymore, I'd rather just add to my collection. Anyways though, I picked up Last Temptation of Christ after reading the post. It's a great blind buy, I love the movie! I also blind bought The Pianist, which I will watch a lil later tonight.

Ghostboy since I took your advice and blind bought LTOC, I want YOU to go out and blind buy "The Girl on The Bridge". You won't be dissapointed.

chris

aclockworkjj

I bought Cronenberg's Crash blind....was on sale for like $9....looked interesting, so I figured "What the hell.."....needless to say...interesting is sorta an under statement.....but it was cheap, and for some reason I like James Spader.....so it still sits on my shelf....I usually only throw it in when I am dating a new girl..... where I just can't find enough balls to tell her to buzz off...

Cecil

man you people are weird, crash would be the ultimate "i like you very much" movie for me.

CollinBullock

I bought happiness blind because I really wanted to see it and the local video store wasn't carrying it.

I bought about a boy blind because I happened to have gotten paid that day, and I had really liked the book and wanted to see the movie and was just kind of in the mood to throw some money around.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

aclockworkjj

Quote from: cecil b. dementedman you people are weird, crash would be the ultimate "i like you very much" movie for me.

cecil....you b. demented man.....crashing cars for sexual pleasure....hmmm, .....ok, I see your point.  I shut up now.

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. dementedman you people are weird, crash would be the ultimate "i like you very much" movie for me.

If someone showed me Crash on a date, I'd think they were much more appealing and interesting than, say, someone who wanted to watch The First Wive's Club (a real-life final date that once happened to me). People who ponder the nature of sex are sexy.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

id also like to watch "in the company of men" on a date. that would be funny

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. dementedid also like to watch "in the company of men" on a date. that would be funny

The perfect litmus test.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek237

I've bought many DVDs blindly, and a lot I regret. I've bought movies like Wild Wild West, Deep Blue Sea, and Stigmata on whyms, basically. Big mistakes. I have made some good blind buys though. I've bought Platoon, Changing Lanes, Serpico, and Road To Perdition and I enjoyed them all. But in the long-run it's better to rent them first.

NEON MERCURY

about 90% of my collection are blind buys.  It is THE way to go.

ono

Let's see... I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I ran off to Best Buy this afternoon because I remembered I saw When Harry Met Sally... (SE) for only $9.99 (one of the best romantic comedies ever).  And I ended up buying four more DVDs: Cruel Intentions (a more tolerable Dangerous Liaisons for my money, and an incredibly entertaining movie to boot), Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (blind buy), Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back (another blind buy, *ducks Smith haters*), and Contact (one of the best movies of the 90s).

Thirteen... got rave reviews, and is in the vein of Magnolia and The Ice Storm (which I have, but still haven't seen yet), so I expect great things from it.  And I just had to see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back for the in-jokes, and the special features.  For some reason, Kevin Smith is always so great to hear talk.

children with angels

Thirteen Conversations About One thing is nowhere near the vicinity of the wonderfulness of either Magnolia or The Ice Storm (actually my first and third favourite movies respectively [organised, eh?]), but I thought it was pretty interesting. Not great but good. I know there are many here who hated it though.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

aclockworkjj

Quote from: children with angelsThirteen Conversations About One thing

I enjoyed it....it was kinda neat how it ended up back in the bar....