The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

this show overcompensates its realistic amount of stupid people.

Kal

So I just realized that the same dude playing Dr. Dre on Straight Outta Compton is Heath (black dude with glasses and dreadlocks) on TWD. What ever happened with that dude? He hasn't been on any episodes for a while but he is still alive, right?

ATTENTION ATTENTION
DO NOT WATCH THE NEW TEASER FOR WALKING DEAD
it is unbelievably filled with spoilers. i dont know who the heck edited this shit. do not watch it if you care even in the least bit.

Jeremy Blackman

I was almost out, then they go and make an episode like this. Easily in the top 10 for me. Well done! :bravo:

Sure, a few plot points strained credulity, but they really committed. With The Walking Dead, that's all you can hope for. They seemed to actually take joy in the craziness. Please, more of that.

SPOILERS

I can't believe how sincerely worried I was during this episode. The surprise asplosion in the cold open really set me off-balance. And that wonderful sequence of deaths — each one preceded by a deceptive music cue — made me believe that anything could happen.

The fire, by the way, was heavily foreshadowed in the beginning of the season. If I'm remembering correctly, some people who Darryl met told him they burned a wide area of land to kill a massive number of walkers. He simply remembered that and deployed it in Alexandria.

Jeremy Blackman

How far they've come since Season 2, when the only thing the writers could think to do was write scenes of endless bickering. (A reflection of the writer's room? Write what you know?) Now, characters actually do nice things for each other and bond like normal human beings.

SPOILERS

Not that I particularly care, but there are so many plot holes right now. They know about Neegan and this very serious threat, but it is not mentioned at all. Rick and Darryl are happy to go on a 2-person supply run anyway, armed only with a pair of pistols. They even chased Jesus into what could have been a trap.

When we last saw Deanna, she was in a house, not yet turned, seconds away from being devoured by walkers. Did they just give her a nibble and leave her alone? Because this week she was 100% unwounded. She also somehow made it out of that house, past the bonfire (not interested), through a gap in the wall, and into the woods. Because walkers are known to flee from Alexandria... away from the lights and the noise? There's no foresight here. They don't take their own universe seriously.

The Breaking Bad writers liked to write themselves into a corner to force a creative solution. The Walking Dead writers just go through the walls.

yeah this episode was incredibly entertaining but really really bad at the same time.

nothing really made any sense. the deanna thing being the least of it. (edit: i'm pretty sure we've discussed this before, but despite the 'turn when you die default' thing, there are way too many whole looking zombies. one of the main reasons i fell in love with this show is basically one of the first walkers we ever see has almost no body. that makes sense. if zombies are such a threat why would you portray them doing a bad job?)
i know you guys hate bringing up the book, but its pretty valid here.
introducing jesus at this point is completely irrelevant. the negan storyline is what needs to be focused on right now. in the book jesus' only purpose is to tell the group about negan. so since he's already been introduced in a very intentional way, this character is just only going to be a more hygenic rehash of the wolf guy (owen, apparently is his name, from interviews), get in the way, and probaly be annoying. 

and could they have chosen a more hipster douche looking guy to play jesus?
he looks like he tends bar at a place with bicycle wheels on the wall and aggressively poor lighting.

the rick and daryl thing was dumb, they kept making these weird little amateur decisions the entire time.
i'll have to rewatch it, but i'm pretty sure daryl almost let himself get bitten like twice.

i'm hearing rumblings that negan isn't even going to appear until the finale, which is a really bad decision in my mind, but who knows, it could be great. i just think its really silly to bring up the most iconic villain in the series and kind of linger around it in a seemingly lazy fashion.

but like i said, really entertaining episode just not very consistent with the shows logic or logic in general. big surprise.

Fernando

Quote from: 03 on February 22, 2016, 01:36:33 PM
the rick and daryl thing was dumb, they kept making these weird little amateur decisions the entire time.

that made me hate the episode, it was almost like a campy film where everything that can go wrong does, and it was beyond dumb, look what decisions the most experience characters make:

1. Going out with just two guns like JB already said.
2. They find the Jackpot with that truck, what they do? let's look for more shit, fuck getting back to safety.
3. At the gas station, a total stranger makes a fool out of them and takes the truck...with fire crackers as a diversion.
4. They caught the guy, who already showed some fighting skills, but Rick is in a good mood and leaves the ropes loose so he can escape. He drives away WITHOUT watching his rear view mirror!
5. Hey we lucked out and have the truck again! ok now let's get back to safety...LOOK, A BARN!
6. For some reason Rick wants to take a short cut to the barn, when Jesus obviously falls from the sky roof, then it's a Benny Hill like chase, where the truck ends in the deepest pond ever.

Quote6. For some reason Rick wants to take a short cut to the barn, when Jesus obviously falls from the sky roof, then it's a Benny Hill like chase, where the truck ends in the deepest pond ever.

this is a viral video waiting to happen, with the music and everything.
i forgot how much this part really bothered me, there is no possible way outside of maybe supernatural powers that he was able to get on the roof the way he did.

polkablues

It's even better than I imagined it would be:

My house, my rules, my coffee

so how many people replayed abraham saying 'uglying bumpies' just to figure out what the fuck he was saying? and why did they think that was a good idea?

Jeremy Blackman

Wasn't it "uggin' bumplies?" Maybe. I might have chuckled.

In any case, that was an enjoyable episode with very few problems (except for Carl's hair). Which makes 3 decent to very good ones in a row. Not bad!

i almost had a heart attack during this episode. that shit was incredibly gruesome.

very vague spoilers not really spoilers:

have that many living people been killed in any prior episode?

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Agreed. The knife-sinking was absolutely chilling. Reminded me of Dexter Season 5. Effective stuff.

OH MY GOD WHO IS THAT REDHEAD I CANT GOOGLE HER YET
i'll figure it out but the point is, i'm nottt even done with the episode and she deserves an award.
edit: thank you polka i loves

polkablues

I haven't watched it yet, but I assume from the previews from last week you're talking about Alicia Witt.
My house, my rules, my coffee